Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Top 10 deadliest animals on the planet

Still Waters

Polar bears are among the most dangerous animals in the world.

linked-imageRead more...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Queen in the North

• Mattshark

• Cetacea

• schizoidwoman

Very interesting StillWaters, Thanks for posting.

"7. The elephant - Elephants weight around 16 tonnes and are responsible for around 600 deaths every year through stamping and goring."

Uhh, Maybe stay the heck out of their way??

The cape buffalo is a deadly creature when it needs to be,

Thanks SW for the post, it was interesting;

Regards;

TFF

4. Great white shark - Since 1876 this shark has been responsible for 65 deaths worldwide and will develop a taste for human flesh once it has fed on a person. Each year 30-100 people die of shark attacks.

Erm that is highly inaccurate information. Each between 1-11 people die of shark attack each year and the animal does not develop a taste for human flesh.

ISAF figures from 1990.

and it is 63 deaths, not 65.

ISAF: white shark figures.

In fact since 1580 there has been 471 attacks, makes the claim of up to 100 deaths a year seem really silly.

ISAF attacks 1580 - 2008.

Erm that is highly inaccurate information. Each between 1-11 people die of shark attack each year and the animal does not develop a taste for human flesh.

ISAF figures from 1990.

In fact since 1580 there has been 471 attacks, makes the claim of up to 100 deaths a year seem really silly.

bats kill thousands of people a year with rabies. they are very sneaky and only prick their victims when its very dark, they camoflage and sneak into homes, the person may be asleep. bat bited are painless and undetectable, you at most would feel like a leaf or pricky plant is brushing you. they fly off fast so you cant see what it was. they also do not leave bite marks or swelling, the only sign are 2 pin size brick marks whic can either not be seen or mistaken for mosquito bite

so people dont seek treatment and they get rabies

also many foereign countries do not have medical care or acess to rabies shots. usually its available only in very developed countries like the us or brittian etc.. im sure many others autralia etc.. but in a small village in africa or the philipines you wont be able to get treatment for it

thats why the majority of bat bite victims die each year,,, and even about 10 people a year die from bat bites in the us because they dont seek treatment because they dont know they were bit

most bat bited occur in places populated highly by bats and where people woulod be outdoors alot at night by wooded areas

bats kill thousands of people a year with rabies. they are very sneaky and only prick their victims when its very dark, they camoflage and sneak into homes, the person may be asleep. bat bited are painless and undetectable, you at most would feel like a leaf or pricky plant is brushing you. they fly off fast so you cant see what it was. they also do not leave bite marks or swelling, the only sign are 2 pin size brick marks whic can either not be seen or mistaken for mosquito bite

so people dont seek treatment and they get rabies

also many foereign countries do not have medical care or acess to rabies shots. usually its available only in very developed countries like the us or brittian etc.. im sure many others autralia etc.. but in a small village in africa or the philipines you wont be able to get treatment for it

thats why the majority of bat bite victims die each year,,, and even about 10 people a year die from bat bites in the us because they dont seek treatment because they dont know they were bit

most bat bited occur in places populated highly by bats and where people woulod be outdoors alot at night by wooded areas

Not such a big issue in the UK and Australia as neither country has rabies (nor does Scandinavia).

#1 Florida state bird, the mosquito. Now that is the truth.

:D

ah the humble Mosquito at #1...a reminder to us all of who are on the top of the food chain.

I don't agree with some on the list...

Polar bear - The largest meat eater living on land, polar bears are extremely *'protective of their cubs and attack viciously when there is a perceived threat'. A polar bear can cut off a human head with a swipe of its paw.

(*big deal, wouldn't anyone?)

Elephants weight around 16 tonnes and are responsible for around 600 deaths every year through stamping and goring.

Caged and or chained up circus elephants?

two en-danger-ed species almost wiped off the face of the planet, gee i'd be dangerous too.

Interesting!

Very interesting StillWaters, Thanks for posting.

"7. The elephant - Elephants weight around 16 tonnes and are responsible for around 600 deaths every year through stamping and goring."

Uhh, Maybe stay the heck out of their way??

That is exactly what they write on signs when you're entering elephant territory :P

ISAF figures from 1990.

You'd think they'd have done their research, no? Maybe it says 65 deaths on Wikipedia...

Actually, now I look closer, I'm sure how accurate some more of those figures are.

Interesting link, thanks (and thanks to others for the clarification)!

Interesting!

That is exactly what they write on signs when you're entering elephant territory :P

Or at Chester Zoo:

linked-image

Or at Chester Zoo:

linked-image

LOL! That would never have ocurred to me, y'know. Love the little drawing to go with it, just incase people are complete *******... :huh:

My personal favourite is:

post-72554-1239821572_thumb.jpg

Funnily enough, this also applies to the thread about the woman who jumped into the polar bear enclosure... :lol:

edited for multiple spelling fail

Edited by Libby_The_Batfish

LOL! That would never have ocurred to me, y'know. Love the little drawing to go with it, just incase people are complete *******... :huh:

My personal favourite is:

post-72554-1239821572_thumb.jpg

Funnily enough, this also applies to the thread about the woman who jumped into the polar bear enclosure... :lol:

edited for multiple spelling fail

That is ACE, I love it! :lol:

Yeah, I love the little drawing, there is one that is just the drawing without the explanations which is a little odd as I think the message may be slightly distorted, seems to say more being trampled by elephants is prohibited rather than it's dangerous :D

That is ACE, I love it! :lol:

Yeah, I love the little drawing, there is one that is just the drawing without the explanations which is a little odd as I think the message may be slightly distorted, seems to say more being trampled by elephants is prohibited rather than it's dangerous :D

It should be prohibited, we don't want elephants getting bits of people stuck to the bottom of their feet. Eeeurgh, that'd be disgusting for the poor things! :yes:

It should be prohibited, we don't want elephants getting bits of people stuck to the bottom of their feet. Eeeurgh, that'd be disgusting for the poor things! :yes:

Definitely, they might slip on the goo and hurt themselves..

Definitely, they might slip on the goo and hurt themselves..

Good points all around :D

Kinda disappointed that I didnt see a hippo on that list.

Kinda disappointed that I didnt see a hippo on that list.

Hey you're right! They kill a lot of people.

They don't even eat them afterwards, that's the ultimate insult I think. :P

What about the kimodo dragon?

What about the kimodo dragon?

While an attack from a komodo dragon could easily be a fatal one, and while people do die from being mauled and bitten by the huge lizards, this article goes purely from the number of people killed by that particular species worldwide.

Varanus komodoensis (Komodo dragon) inhabits several very small islands in Indonesia, and there are as few as 5,000 individuals worldwide, so even if they killed with alarming regularity (which they don't) then they probably wouldn't even dent this list anyway.

Apparently over a dozen people have died of V. komodoensis bites in the last century, with more surviving with septicaemia resulting from the bacteria in the dragons' mouths.

"Over a dozen", even including the other cases of people being mauled to death by the lizards, doesn't really compare to the two million people mozzies kill each year.

I'd provide other sources, but the only other source besides that one ^ is my head, 'cos I'm a lizard freak. :lol:

While an attack from a komodo dragon could easily be a fatal one, and while people do die from being mauled and bitten by the huge lizards, this article goes purely from the number of people killed by that particular species worldwide.

Varanus komodoensis (Komodo dragon) inhabits several very small islands in Indonesia, and there are as few as 5,000 individuals worldwide, so even if they killed with alarming regularity (which they don't) then they probably wouldn't even dent this list anyway.

Apparently over a dozen people have died of V. komodoensis bites in the last century, with more surviving with septicaemia resulting from the bacteria in the dragons' mouths.

"Over a dozen", even including the other cases of people being mauled to death by the lizards, doesn't really compare to the two million people mozzies kill each year.

I'd provide other sources, but the only other source besides that one ^ is my head, 'cos I'm a lizard freak. :lol:

Got to make you wonder how an animal that has killed 65 people in 150 years (great white) is higher than something that kills over 75 people a year in just one country (lion)!

Must say I'm disappointed with the lack of hippo, Nile crocodile (which I believe kills more than the saltwater does) and shocking leaving out the biggest cat, the Tiger, an animal that in the Sundarbans kills and eats up to 250 people a yeah.

Got to make you wonder how an animal that has killed 65 people in 150 years (great white) is higher than something that kills over 75 people a year in just one country (lion)!

Must say I'm disappointed with the lack of hippo, Nile crocodile (which I believe kills more than the saltwater does) and shocking leaving out the biggest cat, the Tiger, an animal that in the Sundarbans kills and eats up to 250 people a yeah.

*nods* Great whites get such a bad rep.

Thing is, in most people's heads (I'll assume!) since films like Jaws... well, mainly Jaws, great whites are the ultimate deadly LETHAL OMG predator, no? Lions are dangerous, but they aren't as scary as the shark killing machine. [/stupidness]

When you look at the list, the animals, whilst they are all deadly, they are the quintessential 'bad guys'. The only one which isn't is the Cape buffalo, not quite so well recognised (however I thought hippos killed more people in Africa every year than anything else?) Still, the countdown is a Telegraph article, not a scientific paper, and even though that does mean it doesn't need to have the same degree of accuracy as one, it would still be appreciated.

I was under the impression that Nile crocs kill more people than the saltwaters, too.

Personally I thought the AskMen.com Top 10 Deadliest Animals was better. Don't, uh, ask why I was looking at AskMen.com... :P

*nods* Great whites get such a bad rep.

Thing is, in most people's heads (I'll assume!) since films like Jaws... well, mainly Jaws, great whites are the ultimate deadly LETHAL OMG predator, no? Lions are dangerous, but they aren't as scary as the shark killing machine. [/stupidness]

When you look at the list, the animals, whilst they are all deadly, they are the quintessential 'bad guys'. The only one which isn't is the Cape buffalo, not quite so well recognised (however I thought hippos killed more people in Africa every year than anything else?) Still, the countdown is a Telegraph article, not a scientific paper, and even though that does mean it doesn't need to have the same degree of accuracy as one, it would still be appreciated.

I was under the impression that Nile crocs kill more people than the saltwaters, too.

Personally I thought the AskMen.com Top 10 Deadliest Animals was better. Don't, uh, ask why I was looking at AskMen.com... :P

According to Wiki, it is likely that Nile crocs kill more people a year than all other crocodile species combined.

Wiki: Crocodile attack.

According to Wiki, it is likely that Nile crocs kill more people a year than all other crocodile species combined.

Wiki: Crocodile attack.

I was just looking at that! :tu:

A 6 meter crocodile can lie completely invisible in less than a foot of muddy water.

Aaarg.

Salties are more popular as a 'villian' though because they hold status as the largest living reptile. 3rd or 4th largest reptile doesn't have quite the same ring to it, yes? A supposedly "accurate" article shouldn't favour stereotypes like that over fact. :rolleyes:

I would have said that firmly in number one spot should be 'Man' ;)