Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Where did Jesus get those ideas, anyway?

metaphysics new age nova thought taoism

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1    GIDEON MAGE

GIDEON MAGE

MASTER PSYCHIC

• 3,813 posts

• I ONLY BELIEVE WHAT I PERCEIVE WITH MY OWN PSYCHIC POWERS, OR MAKES LOGICAL SENSE. SHOW ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS AND I'LL AGREE.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

Good morning, I want to unabashedly promote my articles on Examiner.com.  My most recent one is:  http://www.examiner....sus-of-nazareth
Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier.  There are more than a few examples of this.  If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more.  One of the Ideas purported in the Tao Te Ching is the Idea that, if you completely merge with the Tao, you can become Immortal.  Lao Tzehimself is honored by some Sects of Taoism as an Immortal.  There are even Legends that he taught Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha.  Was he still around in the firdt century C.E.?  Perhaps he met with Jesus of Nazareth and taught him?  It would explain so much.  After all, Jesus of Nazareth did teach that we should follow the Tao ("The Way").  Discuss among yourselves.

GIDEON MAGE

Is a shameless act of self-promotion vain, or merely a good, practiical idea? Click here to find out!
http://www.examiner....ew-Age-Examiner

#2    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

face palms self repeatetly untill what ive read makes sense

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#3    Ever Learning

Ever Learning

Psychic Spy

• 1,527 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

can you please explain your ideas of christianity and how they are simalar

www.paranormaltales.boards.net

#4    spartan max2

spartan max2

Poltergeist

• 2,748 posts

• There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 28 November 2012 - 02:25 PM, said:

face palms self repeatetly untill what ive read makes sense

lololol i just wanted to tell you that reading your post made me actually laugh out loud. Thank you :clap:

" I imagine that the intellegent people are the ones so intellegent that they dont even need or want to look "intellegent" anymore".
Criss Jami

#5    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostGIDEON MAGE, on 28 November 2012 - 02:17 PM, said:

Good morning, I want to unabashedly promote my articles on Examiner.com.  My most recent one is:  http://www.examiner....sus-of-nazareth
Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier.  There are more than a few examples of this.  If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more.  One of the Ideas purported in the Tao Te Ching is the Idea that, if you completely merge with the Tao, you can become Immortal.  Lao Tzehimself is honored by some Sects of Taoism as an Immortal.  There are even Legends that he taught Siddharta Gautama, the Buddha.  Was he still around in the firdt century C.E.?  Perhaps he met with Jesus of Nazareth and taught him?  It would explain so much.  After all, Jesus of Nazareth did teach that we should follow the Tao ("The Way").  Discuss among yourselves.

Gideon, old son, this is ripping stuff! I don't follow any religion, I'm an atheist who was raised as a Christian Protestant, but I have always thought that Jesus did indeed make some 'adorable little comments' that would help one to live one's life well ....... as other spiritual leaders have done, of course. More quotes please!

The only criticism I have of your article is that I can't really see the connection between the two quotes ..... although both of them are admirable.

Regarding your post: I think it's possible that Jesus 'met' Lao Tze in spirit.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#6    GIDEON MAGE

GIDEON MAGE

MASTER PSYCHIC

• 3,813 posts

• I ONLY BELIEVE WHAT I PERCEIVE WITH MY OWN PSYCHIC POWERS, OR MAKES LOGICAL SENSE. SHOW ME SOMETHING THAT WORKS AND I'LL AGREE.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

View Postouija ouija, on 28 November 2012 - 02:58 PM, said:

Gideon, old son, this is ripping stuff! I don't follow any religion, I'm an atheist who was raised as a Christian Protestant, but I have always thought that Jesus did indeed make some 'adorable little comments' that would help one to live one's life well ....... as other spiritual leaders have done, of course. More quotes please!

The only criticism I have of your article is that I can't really see the connection between the two quotes ..... although both of them are admirable.

Regarding your post: I think it's possible that Jesus 'met' Lao Tze in spirit.
Maybe.  I have always been fascinated by the apparent references in the Tao Te Ching to Immortality.  Maybe Jesus happened to read the book.  There were established trade routes at the time...

GIDEON MAGE

Is a shameless act of self-promotion vain, or merely a good, practiical idea? Click here to find out!
http://www.examiner....ew-Age-Examiner

#7    MysticStrummer

MysticStrummer

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

• The great path has no gates. Thousands of roads enter it. When one passes through this gateless gate, he walks freely between heaven and earth.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

I've long felt that Jesus either went east between his childhood and the beginning of his ministry, or he was somehow exposed to eastern philosophy/religion in his own area of the world. I think he heard that type of teaching somewhere and applied it to his own religion.

Ummon asked : "The world is such a wide world, why do you answer a bell and don ceremonial robes?" ~ Zen Flesh Zen Bones

#8    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:36 AM

From his mind. Hell I read some some of my thoughts I written down and they almost sound like his and other spiritual leaders(Same concepts but with less wtf were they smoking involved). People have a tendency to think of the best way to do something if left to their own devices.

#9    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,648 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

These forms of self realisation are quite common. Ive had them myself as a child. and then all my life Once you attain a certain level of consciousness or perhaps just stumble, as I did, upon the cosmic consciousness, many universal truths become obvious.

They are, i guess, always filtered through ones scientific cultural and other knowledge, but the similarities remain. Our consciousnesses are stored in the universal consciousness after death. I dont know if they remain self aware in present time, but one can acces them using your own consciousness. Ie you can access the consciousness of someone who has died and link with that awareness,   hold a conversation with it,  live within its own historic experiences etc.

Such concepts, like many scientific discoveries, are not made by just one person and then taught or handed down around the world. They are discovered or realised by many many individual people. Some promote them dsme patent them and some become known as the historical starting point for an invention or a concpet.

But this is not true. Such ideas and knowldge spring up spontaneously from within many human minds, because they are truths, and even if forgotten they will re-emerge in people centuries later.

Edited by Mr Walker, 30 November 2012 - 11:00 AM.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#10    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,728 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

I would say Jesus was an incarnation of God and maybe him and Lao Tze knew each other rather well, perhaps not in humanly form, but they got their ideas from the same life force... Just as Mr. Walker said, people get the same kinds of revelation all the time. For them it may have just been intuitive from the start, and they were bold enough not to question the authority of their inner knowledge and pass it on. We're lucky to have teachers of this sort...

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#11    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Far from wanting to bash Jesus of Nazareth, I'd like to point out that the source of some of his adorable little comments seems to be Lao Tze, a Chinese Philosopher that lived 500 years earlier.  There are more than a few examples of this. If anyone is even remootely interested in this topic, I can quote a few more.

Post more examples .Thanks

Edited by Beckys_Mom, 30 November 2012 - 04:58 PM.

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#12    StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Cheese

• 4,104 posts

• We have problems because we stray from what is innocent and pure.

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

I think there is little historical evidence that the person Lao Tze ever existed, or if he did, wrote the Tao Te Ching. The subject is easly googled.

I think Jesus may have had a spiritual experience, an enlightenment, and the only way he could express this experience  was in the local, cultural and religious terms of the time.

Of course, we don't really know what Jesus' original message was, as what has been written down has been edited, added to, changed, compacted, lost in translation, etc.

If Jesus had been born in India, for example, his message would have been expressed in terms of the Hindu or Buddhist culture.

I think his message, which we have a partial account of, is a universal message, available to all of every era.

The acceptance of authority does not lead to intelligence.
A mind untouched by thought...the end of knowledge.
My credentials: http://www.unexplain...ic=87935&st=225

#13    Bling

Bling

Psychic Spy

• Closed
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Who says Jesus ever existed?

#14    Mr Walker

Mr Walker

Forum Divinity

• 15,648 posts

• Sometimes the Phantom leaves the jungle, and walks the streets of the city like an ordinary man.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostBling, on 01 December 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

Who says Jesus ever existed?
Almost every mainstream historian, atheist or otherwise.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world..

Be cheerful.

Strive to be happy.

#15    Sean93

Sean93

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

• WRATH

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

He got them from a man named John Frum.

"Be peaceful, be courteous, respect everyone; but if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery."

“To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users