Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to use body language to get served first

Still Waters

In a busy bar it can often be a struggle to get served a drink as customers compete for the attention of the bartender.

Now scientists have identified the key elements of body language that can increase your chances of being served before everyone else.

http://www.telegraph...t-at-a-bar.html

• Like 1

I think this article is directed at men, cause I don't think us ladies have a problem being seen by the barman....and gentlemen also usually make space for us ladies to reach the counter....at least that's my experience.

• Like 2

Quote from study

"the tactic they found the most successful was standing squarely facing the bar and starring at the barman following his movements"

Well duh..

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 2

I think this article is directed at men, cause I don't think us ladies have a problem being seen by the barman....and gentlemen also usually make space for us ladies to reach the counter....at least that's my experience.

Not in our village pub, Aggie. The women come through the doors of the 'Snug' mob-handed and swinging various farm implements wildly about their heads!

• Like 1

In a busy bar it can often be a struggle to get served a drink as customers compete for the attention of the bartender.

Now scientists have identified the key elements of body language that can increase your chances of being served before everyone else.

Hmmmmmmm

I think I'm going back to school to do research like this. I wonder if grant money was used?

Not in our village pub, Aggie. The women come through the doors of the 'Snug' mob-handed and swinging various farm implements wildly about their heads!

ha ha ha I'd love to see a picture of the 'ladies' in your village!

lol

• Like 1

ha ha ha I'd love to see a picture of the 'ladies' in your village!

lol

Here we are then..... la creme de la creme....... This year's Village May Queen and her Blossom Princess....

nw_yl_subbotniks_091506.jpg

• Like 4

I don't see the farm tools though....lol

You don't carry farm tools on a fashion shoot, fer chrissakes! When did you last see Kate Moss carrying a mucking-out shovel?

Edit to add...Pssst - d'you wanna see the 'glamour' shots?

Edited by ealdwita
  • Like 2

I could have told them this without their "study". As someone who goes to a lot of bars (but I don't drink anything more than one drink) I find that squaring up, watching the bartenders every move, and making sure you have CASH in your hand and visible gets you served pretty quick. It actually is best if the cash you're showing is small bills so it looks like you have exact change plus tip so they don't have to go back to the register or go find your tab.

Additionally, it can help if you double your tip on the first drink... then standard tip after that.

Edited by MissMelsWell

Yes, use your body... as in just look like a young attractive female and you will get priority service.

• Like 1

I'm small and quiet and have found I had to practically climb the nearest bar stool and really wave to be served. :st Also ladies, no 'b****y resting face' and be polite, that's my tip.

No tipping here in Australia. That would drive me batty.

• Like 1

Making eye contact and smiling at the barman / woman always seems to work for me.