Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

UK to send armoured vehicles to Syrian

ExpandMyMind

The UK is to provide armoured vehicles and body armour to opposition forces in Syria "to help save lives", Foreign Secretary William Hague has said.

It will offer millions of pounds in "non-lethal" equipment, including search and rescue, communications, and disease-prevention materials.

Mr Hague said it was a "necessary, proportionate and lawful" response to "extreme human suffering".

Up to 70,000 people have been killed and a million refugees have fled.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-21684105

Great. More of our country's warped foreign policy, that will see us arm (this is just the beginning) a group of terrorist fundamentalists who are far more extreme than the people they are fighting.

Hope everyone knows that this will lead to nutjobs gaining power and probably calling for, and actively seeking, the destruction of us.

:clap:

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 5

Hmmmmm "Aghanistan" comes to mind.

I guess with all the government cuts in the MOD we might as well becasue we must have a stack of spare kit.

Britain's fabled Desert Rats fighting force have had their tanks scrapped in the latest defence cuts. now the 7th Armoured Brigade is to be redesignated as an infantry brigade and their heavy armoured vehicles, including Challenger 2 tanks, will be parked up, may as well let them have them also.

• Like 1

Great. More of our country's warped foreign policy, that will see us arm (this is just the beginning) a group of terrorist fundamentalists who are far more extreme than the people they are fighting.

Hope everyone knows that this will lead to nutjobs gaining power and probably calling for, and actively seeking, the destruction of us.

More likely they will be used to equip our forces who are already there lol

• Like 1

More likely they will be used to equip our forces who are already there lol

Either that, or the muslim brotherhood will have a few new toys thanks to the UK taxpayer

• Like 2

It suprises me how the UK government and allies are supposedly fighting a "War on Terror"...

The Syrian opposition consist of The same group or groups of so called terrorist's, that they (Uk and allies) are supposedly fighting in the "War on Terror"...

So why are they arming them ?

Seem's to me the UK government just want Assad out of power, just like what has happened in Afghanistan,Iraq Libya etc

• Like 4

No winners in this one. As soon as one group can consolidate power they will begin killing westerners and Israelis as quickly as possible. That is assuming that Syria will be left fundamentally intact. If Assad launches chemical weapons at Israel I believe the world will see Israel nuke Damascus. THAT will wake everyone up....

I suspect they are the older armoured Land Rovers left over from Northern Ireland and Iraq. They are due to be replaced or scrapped altogether so it isn't really going to be at great cost.

you're right expand .. they should just let us being scuded out of existance and don't do a damn thing it's only 23 million after all

then probably you and all the peeps fearfull of extremists will be happy ?

might i add that this is part of more promises and words that up to this moment NOTHING was fullfilled

i can't see this any different .. we will we will and nothing happens

empty words is all nothing on reality comes true

I suspect they are the older armoured Land Rovers left over from Northern Ireland and Iraq. They are due to be replaced or scrapped altogether so it isn't really going to be at great cost.

Well, exactly. People on the Left always refer to everything that's ever used by the military as "arms", even when it's unarmed land Rovers, that are just designed to withstand small arms fire. They're hardly likely to send 'em Challengers or Warriors.

Don't worry. If UKIP win in 2015 they will expand our armed forces, not cut them.

Well, you can always dream.

Edited by TheLastLazyGun

I had an exchange yesterday or so with someone who if afraid the Muslims are going to take over the world by out-breeding us. Since the world has enough people, he didn't want them starting a population race.

It since occurred to me that there is not much danger of that, the Syrians being a good example.

you're right expand .. they should just let us being scuded out of existance and don't do a damn thing it's only 23 million after all

might i add that this is part of more promises and words that up to this moment NOTHING was fullfilled

I understand your hatred for Assad, Knight, as far as it is possible for an outsider to do, but even you cannot deny that those who will gain power by his removal will be far worse and far more extreme. The atrocities carried out by both sides have been horrendous, and I pretty much think you are screwed either way.

And I also think you know me and my posts well enough to understand that I do not fear terrorists or terrorism from the Middle East; what I fear is my country being pulled into yet another war 5, 10 or 20 years down the line, that we actually created by putting the nutjobs in power.

I'm sorry mate, I think we should provide help for the refugees all we can, aid in the form of food and clothing, etc, but I do not htink we should play any part in a civil war of another country - an act that will come back to bite us in the ass.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1

We don't know that Assad's replacement will be worse. It would be difficult for them to achieve this. There are some scary elements in the resistance, but it is hard to say who would end up on top. The Turks and the Jordanians and the Saudis are not just sitting letting Iran do all the influencing.

No person should have to go through what the Syrian people are going through...

The point I was making in my previous post is that our government are fighting the same group/group's of people in Afghanistan, Iraq etc, that are fighting Assad in Syria

In what our government call "War On Terror"

I wholeheartedly agree with giving the Syrian people a chance to fight back and defend themselves...

What I do not agree with, is our (UK) government, who say they are fighting a "War On Terror" and then arm the same people or groups of people that they are supposedly fighting in that War...

UK government is sometimes full of promises, but very rarely deliver (in my personal opinion) BUT saying that, I think they will deliver what they said they will to the people of Syria...

For one simple reason...

they also want Assad out of power, not for what he has done or is doing to the people of Syria, but for some other agenda they have

• Like 1

I think the West's agenda is wanting to remove Assad is not hard to see -- he has been excessive in his efforts to hold power. There is a natural tendency for world opinion to flow against such dictators, and representative governments feel the pressure.

We don't know that Assad's replacement will be worse. It would be difficult for them to achieve this. There are some scary elements in the resistance, but it is hard to say who would end up on top. The Turks and the Jordanians and the Saudis are not just sitting letting Iran do all the influencing.

Some scary elements that have almost all of the power. The citizens of Syria will just be left under the oppressive rule (far more oppressive than Assad's if their rhetoric is anything to go by) of Islamic fanatics, with brutal Sharia and a devolution in-store for their future. Libya is much the same.

I mentioned nothing of Iran.

I think the West's agenda is wanting to remove Assad is not hard to see -- he has been excessive in his efforts to hold power. There is a natural tendency for world opinion to flow against such dictators, and representative governments feel the pressure.

The West's objectives have nothing to do with humanitarian issues. This is nonsense. There are tens, if not hundreds, of humanitarian cases from decades past (and today) that don't even come close to gaining the West's (or, rather, their governments') attention. Hell, the UK and U.S. sat by and even actively prevented UN intervention in Rwanda when one of the worst cases of genocide was being carried out for all the World to see. The only reason we want a part in this is because of Assad and what he represents to America, Israel and the Middle East in terms of the status quo and power struggle.

We are invested entirely for political reasons. We don't care about dictators and oppressive regimes - we have overthrew enough democracies to install such (Western friendly) regimes countless times in the past, when it suits us. And our governments actively ignore the Worldwide humanitarian issues that their constituents put 'pressure' on them to address, because they are not politically, strategically or financially beneficial to them.

You can drink the cool aid if you wish, but a 20th century history book would show you that what our collective governments say has very little to do with their true intentions. They are lying scum, to put it bluntly.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 4

Some scary elements that have almost all of the power. The citizens of Syria will just be left under the oppressive rule (far more oppressive than Assad's if their rhetoric is anything to go by) of Islamic fanatics, with brutal Sharia and a devolution in-store for their future. Libya is much the same.

I mentioned nothing of Iran.

The West's objectives have nothing to do with humanitarian issues. This is nonsense. There are tens, if not hundreds, of humanitarian cases from decades past (and today) that don't even come close to gaining the West's (or, rather, their governments') attention. Hell, the UK and U.S. sat by and even actively prevented UN intervention in Rwanda when one of the worst cases of genocide was being carried out for all the World to see. The only reason we want a part in this is because of Assad and what he represents to America, Israel and the Middle East in terms of the status quo and power struggle.

We are invested entirely for political reasons. We don't care about dictators and oppressive regimes - we have overthrew enough democracies to install such (Western friendly) regimes countless times in the past, when it suits us. And our governments actively ignore the Worldwide humanitarian issues that their constituents put 'pressure' on them to address, because they are not politically, strategically or financially beneficial to them.

You can drink the cool aid if you wish, but a 20th century history book would show you that what our collective governments say has very little to do with their true intentions. They are lying scum, to put it bluntly.

Do you even know what you're talking about ??

you reliaze that countryside is wipped off the map ?? and i mean houses and all ? far worse ? really ? we'll take the chances

there is Nothing worse than this absolutely nothing

if the devil came to rule things would not be worst

everyone knows that western countries have an agenda of their own it's common knowledge

but it makes me really really ferious when some one says things will be worst after !!

worst how ????

there is nothing left but nuking us with nuclears

and trust me that's the ONLY thing left which is worst

• Like 3

What I am saying, Knight, is that Syria after the war will be under far worse rule than Syria before the war. And that I want my country to have nothing to do with it.

• Like 2

If you guys read the article carefully this equipment is defensive humanitarian aid. People see "armored vehicle" and their minds might go straight to "we're sending tanks". They're vehicles to get people and supplies from point A to point B successfully.

War is hell, and if any of us were subjected to daily atrocities we'd be capable of horrific reprisals too. We have no idea that the state formed by rebels would be far worse than Assad. They might be far better. It's a separate concern to not wanting our home countries to get involved. Not getting involved is best for us, and I agree with that entirely. It's not what's best for Syria though. Syrians aren't who we care about. Politics determine our concerns and the worth we place on human beings. It's beyond presumptuous for me to peer into my crystal ball and pick sides. It does appear that the network of Western welfare programs available to Al-Qaeda is quite extensive.

• Like 1

well my take on the issue is for the United Kingdom to stay the hell out of Syria. we shouldnt be getting involved in any shape or form, okay use soft force as in political and backing sanctions. but it now seems the EU is running the show. we have Germany supplying the weapons already as witnessed by pictures from inside Syria. and on the 5th Feb the EU was showing support for intervening militarily in Syria. the UN is a no go on the problem with Russia - China backing Syria.

[media=]

[/media]

i cannot see what gains there are for us, Britain. i go along with UKIP.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 1

Yes WE can see that.....so how come William Hague et al.... can't.

Have they completely lost the plot...or is there something that is being kept from the public (as they spend the public's money)

'We' supported Al Qaeda fighters in Libya....and now are doing the same in Syria.

What the hell is going on?

The only thing I can think of is that part of the 'war on terror' involves destabalising the whole region...

So that the Islamic Militants are kept busy fighting in their own region...and will therefore not have the time or energy

to get terrorist acts together in the West...???

But what then....after they are in control of the region? We will have an even bigger problem.

Just speculation..trying to make some sense of the madness.

The timing of the Peacekeepers being held hostage by Syrian Rebels...and used as human shields....

will hopefully be a great embarassment to Hague.

Jeeeeezus.....what a mess (again)

• Like 1

well my take on the issue is for the United Kingdom to stay the hell out of Syria. we shouldnt be getting involved in any shape or form, okay use soft force as in political and backing sanctions. but it now seems the EU is running the show. we have Germany supplying the weapons already as witnessed by pictures from inside Syria. and on the 5th Feb the EU was showing support for intervening militarily in Syria. the UN is a no go on the problem with Russia - China backing Syria.

[media=]

[/media]

i cannot see what gains there are for us, Britain. i go along with UKIP.

UKIP were against Britain's intervention in Libya, too.

• Like 1

Yes WE can see that.....so how come William Hague et al.... can't.

Have they completely lost the plot...or is there something that is being kept from the public (as they spend the public's money)

'We' supported Al Qaeda fighters in Libya....and now are doing the same in Syria.

What the hell is going on?

The only thing I can think of is that part of the 'war on terror' involves destabalising the whole region...

So that the Islamic Militants are kept busy fighting in their own region...and will therefore not have the time or energy

to get terrorist acts together in the West...???

But what then....after they are in control of the region? We will have an even bigger problem.

Just speculation..trying to make some sense of the madness.

The timing of the Peacekeepers being held hostage by Syrian Rebels...and used as human shields....

will hopefully be a great embarassment to Hague.

Jeeeeezus.....what a mess (again)

i wonder why ?

after all .. all they did was supply food to the nice soliders under seize so they can live long

and cannon fire more house and towns .. how barbaric of those rebels to stop that right ?

fox news fan ? bbc news ?

unless they are in saudi arabia them we lick there arses