Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Formation in Texas South West Sky

JoeyLuisLeel

Well It started about 7 days ago. Me and a friend went outside to smoke and upon looking towards the sw night sky on a clear night around 11 ish, there was a 3 distinct stars that made a triangle formation. 4 days later I noticed it again around the same time but this time it looked skewered yet almost keeping its triangle formation. And then finally yesterday upon looking at it the three star formation was almost all in one row going up and down. So they almost made a line but not quite. I belive tonight it should be a line precisely but cant say now its still too early. heh. Anyone know whats stars these r? I'm in south texas in corpus christi.

Edited by joeyluislopez
  • Like 1

I have no idea what they are but I don't think stars change formation that fast. Do you have some pictures of it?

I wish I did. But I dont have a camera good enough to take photos and anyways its too late. I'm just wondering if anyone else could tell me what stars they were. if someone else were from this same area that saw what I saw then it might help

off land and it is there now but sinking its weird me and my friend r here now talking about it

i tried that and even then i cant find it i tried using the google maps the sky one and nothing so can anyone see it?

well these stars r stars just dont know how they would be able to change in such short a time

Planets do that, I think. Not sure about within that time frame, though.

Stars are definitely out.

Edited by pallidin

Well It started about 7 days ago. Me and a friend went outside to smoke

Maybe to much wacky weed in them smokes :w00t:

• Like 1

Well It started about 7 days ago. Me and a friend went outside to smoke and upon looking towards the sw night sky on a clear night around 11 ish, there was a 3 distinct stars that made a triangle formation. 4 days later I noticed it again around the same time but this time it looked skewered yet almost keeping its triangle formation. And then finally yesterday upon looking at it the three star formation was almost all in one row going up and down. So they almost made a line but not quite. I belive tonight it should be a line precisely but cant say now its still too early. heh. Anyone know whats stars these r? I'm in south texas in corpus christi.

http://www.psychohistorian.org/display_article.php?id=201208132148_saturn_mars_spica.content

http://www.psychohistorian.org/display_article.php?id=201208141000_saturn_mars_spica.content

Sorry I missed this earlier, and I must say I'm a little surprised at how few skygazers are at this site - does no-one watch the skies any more? For those who do, they will see planets wandering along the ecliptic and recognise them as they form changing patterns amongst the fixed background of the stars...

Abramelin's link is correct, although I'd probably recommend a place like EarthSky instead..

The red 'star' is Mars, the slightly less bright white one is Saturn, and the brightest is the star Spica in the constellation of Virgo. Mars and Saturn, as planets that are moving across the more fixed background of stars, will change their positions as the nights progress - not long ago the three formed an almost perfect equilateral triangle, but now it's a flattened isosceles..

For anyone who wants to learn a bit more about what is in their night sky, PLEASE visit here, where you will find the wonderful open source, free program called Stellarium. Download it, install it, tell it roughly where you live and from then you will have a quick and easy way to see where every star and planet is, every night.

• Like 1

Awesome!! I will try that. Those stars r still acting funny though. And when I say smoke I mean like cigs not weed. I hate weed. I love booze though but I have had none all week. But thanks for the links I will see what I see from there

Ok ay guys I was ...I guess weirded off, but i have discovered that what I was seeing was in fact Mars and Saturn and some other random star. i used stellarum and found it. But i have never seen planets move int hat way b4. is there something new there? can anyone tell me?

• Like 1

But i have never seen planets move int hat way b4. is there something new there? can anyone tell me?

No, they'be been doing it that way for countless aeons. You just haven't noticed it before.

• Like 1

over the past few nights i've noticed what seems to be the exact same thing.

i'm in nsw australia. the formation has slowly made its way at first from the eastern part of the sky towards the west and from tonight onwards looks like it will be obscured by the blue mountains ranges.

the little video camera i have wasn't able to record or photograph it.

As Waspie said, WHAT is strange about it? The planets have always moved like that, and often form patterns. Google "venus jupiter smiley face" as one of many examples.

If all this is 'strange' to you, that simply tells me that you don't often get out at night and look up. Please folks, go visit your local library or just Google 'basic astronomy' and learn about the skies. The universe when viewed from in a room behind a computer screen is rather limiting, and if you have never laid on a rug on the ground on a clear night under a country sky away from lights... you haven't lived yet..

• Like 1

You need to read between the lines about mind-altering sorta thingies.. I think..

Anyway, let's change the subject and add some ontopic content.. Here's a picture I took last night (was too busy doing other stuff to post it then, but here I am now..):

gallery_95887_14_10722.jpg

That's a view of the newly-formed triangle, just beneath a quarter-ish moon. The Moon is 'blown out' and flared, as I set the camera to expose for the stars. The triangle formation next to the Moon at the right, is Mars, Saturn and Spica (a bright star in the constellation of Virgo). For reference (i'm in the southern hemisphere, so things are a bit rotated from what you guys see!), over at the far left is our Southern Cross (the kite shape), or Crux. The streak at lower right is a jetliner passing by, not a ufo. (Taken on a Canon SX130IS, 28mm equivalent, 15 seconds, f3.4, tripod - cropped and slight contrast adjustment)

Here's a Stellarium screen shot showing the situation.. gotta love Stellarium!

gallery_95887_14_11083.jpg

And here's what will happen to those planets and the star after about 29 days from now, when the Moon will return to roughly the same area..

gallery_95887_14_11814.jpg

Note how the triangle is pretty much gone as the planets move onwards on their slow paths - Mars has moved a long way, Saturn not so much...

That's how the night sky works. Always has. Always will. So, get out there and OBSERVE, folks!!! Be in touch with your universe, not flamin' facebook (Yeuch).

Edited by Chrlzs
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

yup thats exactly what it was we were seeing but yea if you neglect our universe like this life makes easy to happen then you lose touch with it and when you do see it, you r in awe...until you figure it out finally heh.

I don't stargaze often enough but can anyone remember the date last year when the crescent moon and a couple of planets gave us a smiley face? That was cute and apparently rare.

Edited by libstaK

That was 30 November / 1 December 2008..

try here and scroll down for some pictures..