Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Little Ice Age

snowfan1

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Little Fish

• snowfan1

• jesspy

• Doug1029

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi does anyone see this happening and winters getting colder?

That depends on where you go. In the far north, winters are warmer than 15 years ago. Here in OK, we've had winters colder than 15 years ago, but we still haven't reached the cold snaps of January 1951 and 1931. There's a temperature of 31 below recorded for Arkansas in 1951. We haven't come close to that in either OK or AR in forty years. BTW: Extreme cold seems to precede drought by a year or two. Interesting coincidence.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

I live in australia its winter here now but its been mild. Last year ws a wram dry winter. Two weeks ago i would agreed with you we had a cold snap and in fact are having one right now. but the days in between are mighty warm for winter. Two days ago it was 17 degrees celcius. Today it has not gone aboye 8 or so. Next week its expected to get in the teens again. We had a very wet summer buts thts more due to that el nino stuff. Unles you start compiling data for regions around the world I would have to say there is climate change but if its cooling or warming i think that remains to be seen. Oh and there will be people who say that warming leads to cooling maybe they are right I am not sure.

It all appears to be global warming affect that is taking toll on global atmosphere by making it quite unpredictable.

new study "solar activity lull increases chances of cold UK winters"

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/07/05/study-solar-activity-lull-increases-chances-of-cold-uk-winters/

"Over the next 50 years, the researchers show that the probability of the Sun returning to Maunder minimum conditions is about 10 per cent, raising the chances that the average winter temperature will fall below 2.5 oC to around 1 in 7, assuming all other factors, including man-made effects and El Niño, remain constant.

Put in context, the average UK winter temperature for the last 20 years has been 5.04 oC, however the last three winters have averaged 3.50 °C, 2.53 °C and 3.13 °C, with 2009/10 being the 14th coldest in the last 160 years."