Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Why Do Some People Only Have Bad Luck?

Still Waters

The idea that some people are destined to suffer chronic misfortune is so ingrained in our consciousness that there even have been songs written about it -- for example, “Born Under a Bad Sign,” the blues classic recorded by Albert King back in 1967, in which the narrator complains that “if it wasn’t for bad luck, I wouldn’t have no luck at all.”

But is there really such a thing as chronic bad luck, and if so, why do some people seem to be plagued by it?

http://news.discover...#mkcpgn=rssnws1

• Like 3

I dont think there's such a thing as bad luck, everyone has bad misfortunes, but those who are negative and always bitter tend to see everything in a bad way. Therefore they complain they have bad luck or that their life sucks. It's all about being positive and being happy with what you have

• Like 4

There is no such thing as "good" luck or "bad" luck.

Sometimes stuff happens because of the actions of others and sometimes people themselves make silly choices and don't recognize their mistakes.

• Like 6

Word of the day: Probability.

Also people usually focus on the bad events and disregard when times are good.

• Like 3

The old adage that" luck is where preparation meets opportunity" is true. The people that have constant bad luck are not prepared to take advantage of the situations where fortune favors them.

I used to play poker for a living. There were guys who could never seem to win, but it wasn't because they just got bad cards. It's because they did not know how to mitigate their losses when they were running bad and take advantage of the times when they were running good. They got frustrated and made stupid decisions. A rabbit's foot is no substitute for a prepared mind.

• Like 5

I use to let people around me influence my emotions of views.

But now I don't care what people think negatively of me.

Also instead of the universe making things go a certain way for me...

I started to bend things to my will..

and there it is.

I now manifest my will and destiny

When I was younger i let others put their WILL and Destiny on me....

until I became self empowered... now my will is stronger than those who wish to hold me down..

and yes we learn as we go. We either become more powerful or powerless..

the choice is ours.

Hows this for "Bad Luck", this weeks lottery numbers...12..13..18..39..43..49.....my numbers..11..14..17..26..39..43....not a penny,oh well never mind.

• Like 1

I just think everything is random. Some people are going to have great lives. Some will have a mix of bad and good. Others will unfortunately only know suffering and then die. There are people who have misfortunate and are still able find happiness, but I don't think that's possible for everyone. I couldn't be happy or positive if I lost everyone I cared about and was suffering from some agonizing disease, or starving to death in some third war country. I'm just not wired that way. I'd say my sibling had nothing but bad luck. Schizophrenia destroyed her life. Try being happy when you're being tormented by voices and hallucinations 24/7 and the meds have awful side effects.

• Like 1

Hows this for "Bad Luck", this weeks lottery numbers...12..13..18..39..43..49.....my numbers..11..14..17..26..39..43....not a penny,oh well never mind.

Few years ago my lottery numbers were 1..2..3..4..5..6.

The winning numbers? 7..8..9..10..11..12.

(lol)

• Like 2

Few years ago my lottery numbers were 1..2..3..4..5..6.

The winning numbers? 7..8..9..10..11..12.

(lol)

And so we are not driving Jaguars ,money isn't everything but it helps,you can be miserable in comfort hee hee.
  • Like 2

It's just rowing against the river. Everyone has a kind of luck somewhere, but those who are naturally more oblivious of it or hide it, tend to have more of it. It makes sense when you think of the shadow effect in psychology, what you suppress and project to your environment gets reflected back on you. Your unconscious "oops I didn't know I threw it" -boomerang. 12th house Jupiter projected back, in other words.

But if you ain't born that way, but still try invoke something like that, your true luck ain't gonna be as big as what it could be. Because your true luck is where it is, and it's the most powerful in it's natural place. Being yourself is being lucky, in more than one sense.

• 1 year later...

Some are some things in life which cannot be explained by science and the modern world i should say...

Edited by Electrika

I tend to think bad luck is expectation not being met, and focusing on negatives,

I guess the Buddha was lucky because he had non-attachment. Didn't crave material things. I haven't quite reached that level, of course.

Have to agree with everyone that says it's a matter of perception and expectation vs reality.

“Know and understand that there will be challenges and difficult times. Don’t try to avoid them. Welcome them. Gratefully. Cultivate the technique of seeing all problems as opportunities. Opportunities to…be, an decide, Who You Really Are.”

“To live your life without expectation–without the need for specific results–that is freedom. That is Godliness.”

Most people tend to dwell on the negative side of life. Bad and good things happen. But we tend to only latch on to the downside. Perspective is needed to level it out. Then you will quickly see that all in all, more good tends to happen.

Try focusing on the normal good things. Like your fresh morning cuppa. The opening rose in your garden. The smile on your child's face. There is good happening around you all the time!

I don't buy into this thought that luck is all in one's head or "you make your own luck". There definitely is good luck and bad luck and we really have no control over it. For example remember that tsunami that hit Indonesia in 2004? Those people who were killed weren't doing anything wrong. They were just on vacation. It was just terrible luck. Luck is totally random and we have no control over it. I've had some terrible luck in my life. Yes, I can control how I react to it, but the actual thing that happened I had no control over. The only thing one can control is their reaction to it.

• Like 1

I've said before that luck doesn't exist. It is a concept that is perceived by the human mind. One's idea of "luck" could change if they see what good qualities they have. However, this is hard to change for some people. If a person is always getting the cruddy end of the stick, how do you expect them to see this? "Life isn't so bad," "be happy with what you have," and other statements would seem empty to a person with this type of fortune. That makes it harder for them to see the good in life.

Edited by UFO_Monster
  • Like 1

It is hard to dismiss something when you have not experienced it..

But you totally cannot deny something of its existence just because it has never happened to you..

:Life is unpredictable.. Seriously..

Having good fortune now does not means you are going to experience it for the rest of your life..

I don't buy into this thought that luck is all in one's head or "you make your own luck". There definitely is good luck and bad luck and we really have no control over it. For example remember that tsunami that hit Indonesia in 2004? Those people who were killed weren't doing anything wrong. They were just on vacation. It was just terrible luck. Luck is totally random and we have no control over it. I've had some terrible luck in my life. Yes, I can control how I react to it, but the actual thing that happened I had no control over. The only thing one can control is their reaction to it.

I agree with you completely. I have had both good luck and bad luck in my life, but I have known a few individuals who SEEM to have more than their fair share of bad luck.

As the OP mentions in the song, if it weren't for bad luck, Joe would have no luck at all.

Your topic implies that luck exists. Does luck really exist? I am leaning towards saying "no", considering that the word "luck" implies a supernatural element tied to occurrences in one's life.

• 1 year later...
On 7/29/2013 at 3:35 PM, Himawari69 said:

I dont think there's such a thing as bad luck, everyone has bad misfortunes, but those who are negative and always bitter tend to see everything in a bad way. Therefore they complain they have bad luck or that their life sucks. It's all about being positive and being happy with what you have

Being positive is good, but your good confidence and positive attitude will not control misfortune in life. There does exist in this world a great minority of people that nothing works out for them, misfortune is all they know. They are cast outs, they are invisible to the population. I know to acknowledge such a thing scares people, because they are afraid of it happening to them, but denial and all the confidence will not protect you if you get in its crosshairs. I Pray no one who reads this will ever experience this.

There sure do seem to be people who suffer more than their fair share of bad luck. And then there are those who can fall in s*** and end up smelling like roses. Nobody knows the why of it.

• Like 1