Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Sonic Boom!

Kryso

Hi, I live in a quiet little town in Devon, England. Yesterday at 4:15 pm a boom rattled my windows and shook the books on my bookshelf, and made the tea I was drinking vibrate in the cup. It felt like an impact of some kind, because you could feel it through the body, and physically see objects effected by it. The instant it happened I was on my computer, as I looked up I could see the window vibrating from the shock-wave. It's quite the talk of the area, and apparently could be felt over a hundred square miles.

Here's the report from the BBC: http://www.bbc.co.uk...ngland-20000877

They are saying it was a meteor entry. But wouldn't something that big have to hit the earth somewhere, or would the sonic impact completely destroy it on entry? No one has claimed to have found anything.

Also strange, last night there was reports, and video footage of UFO's over Scotland for 5 hours! Related?

• Like 4

Are they fracking in England?

Not that I'm aware. I would of thought that if they were it would have been mentioned? Or happen on a more regular basis.

Thanks Kryso for the link, will add it to my list. The booms and hum sounds heard all over the world are strange indeed.

• Like 3

The Americans have been fracking for quite a few years, but it took quite a few years for some geologists to discover a link between that and certain earthquakes.

• Like 1

The Americans have been fracking for quite a few years, but it took quite a few years for some geologists to discover a link between that and certain earthquakes.
Are they fracking in England?

Being a fan of BSG (the re-imagined version) has made these posts oh-so-very-great!

I'm a mid-east guy and didn't hear the boom, and didn't know anything of it until today! I wonder if they'll update the news on this when they find out what caused the 'boom'.

Who knows what hidden underground .. Maybe there are huge facilites down there no one knows about and they were carrying out some top secret experiments ;)

Heys guys if your really interested I have thread at historian of all the booms and hums people are hearing all over the world, to long to list them all here to read, but here are most of them. Tired to keep a list of all the reports of the last few decades

http://www.historum.com/history-natural-environment/38172-strange-sounds-sky-explained-scientists-13.html

Ive had this happen to me, in my case it turned out to be two RAF Typhoons. which scrambled from their base to intercept a Russian bomber, when they are scrambled in an emergency they are given permission to go supersonic over land in order to gain height and reach the target. the sound wave is tremendous. my guess - this is what as happened. or like the experts say a meteor.

Edited by stevewinn
  • Like 2

Just came across your post Kryso,

In the early hours of this morning 1:30 am (ish) I heard 3 very loud booms, in the distance and about 1 minute apart. I asked my family this morning when we got up did anyone else hear them? I even looked on the local news today to see if there was a report about it!

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

I like the supersonic jets answer but it could of just been my partner on the loo. :yes:

• Like 3

It didn't sound like a sonic boom from a plane. Years ago in England, when the concord was about, one left an airport nearby and just as it sped up, at roughly 9 pm every night, it would created a sonic boom as it broke the sound barrier. This sound was move like the vibration of something hitting something solid.

Well..is it possible that if it was a meteor that it exploded upon entry to the atmosphere?

Sounds rather...disconcerting though at any rate.

Most Meteors explode before hitting the ground and they can be quite powerful, like a small nuke even.

Most likely it was fighter jets. From what I hear they are constantly having to chase off Russian bombers who keep flying on the edge of our airspace, especially in the north.

It didn't sound like a sonic boom from a plane. Years ago in England, when the concord was about, one left an airport nearby and just as it sped up, at roughly 9 pm every night, it would created a sonic boom as it broke the sound barrier. This sound was move like the vibration of something hitting something solid.

Are you thinking of the Nocturnal Booms of the winter of 1976-77? We experienced them every Monday at 9.20pm local time, the effects were extremely localized; the difference between house-rattling rumbles, or merely hearing a boom, or hearing nothing at all was only a few 100s metres - very odd. From the local media coverage, it was known that a village 10km west of here heard the boom 20 mins earlier than here - which makes little sense unless they were experiencing a totally different event each time. People here used to go outside to await the boom, but nothing was ever seen, only the boom - although on occasion the boom was apparently coming from a specific point source in the sky. One evening RAF Benson (then home of the Queen's Flight) went on alert as they thought the boom was an explosion/IRA attack - they clearly didn't interpret the boom as being caused by aircraft.

Concorde never went supersonic over land, and Concorde flew every day before, and for many years after, that winter. The booms were always single, not double, AFAIK the only attempt to analyze/explain the booms was by Bristol University, who concluded that the booms were sonic booms being refracted from hundreds of km away.

Are you thinking of the Nocturnal Booms of the winter of 1976-77? We experienced them every Monday at 9.20pm local time, the effects were extremely localized; the difference between house-rattling rumbles, or merely hearing a boom, or hearing nothing at all was only a few 100s metres - very odd. From the local media coverage, it was known that a village 10km west of here heard the boom 20 mins earlier than here - which makes little sense unless they were experiencing a totally different event each time. People here used to go outside to await the boom, but nothing was ever seen, only the boom - although on occasion the boom was apparently coming from a specific point source in the sky. One evening RAF Benson (then home of the Queen's Flight) went on alert as they thought the boom was an explosion/IRA attack - they clearly didn't interpret the boom as being caused by aircraft.

Concorde never went supersonic over land, and Concorde flew every day before, and for many years after, that winter. The booms were always single, not double, AFAIK the only attempt to analyze/explain the booms was by Bristol University, who concluded that the booms were sonic booms being refracted from hundreds of km away.

I have heard of that event before. Sounds interesting.

The concord use to hit supersonic as it his the English Channel, and because we lived near the coast, we got the boom. Same time for years. I was about 15 then, so that would have been around 1988 ish.

lol oh im sorry i'll send out a warning memo next time i drop a oboma and flush the pipes....j/k...lol