Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can humanity afford a real life Star Trek ?

Saru

The starships of the Star Trek universe seem a long way off both technologically and financially.

The public has no shortage of enthusiasm for fictional spacefarers, as this weekend's box-office win by the newest "Star Trek" film proves. Yet the real-life U. S. space agency finds itself strapped for cash these days. With federal budgets tightening and NASA feeling the pinch, some space advocates are asking, "Can humans afford to reach the stars?"

arrow3.gifRead more...

a long way off compared to what? The gizmos they are reverse-engineering in area 51? I must agree, the star trek starships probably are a long way off. in the backward direction. As Lockheed Skunk Works director Ben Rich, father of the stealth fighter-bomber, used to say: "We now have the technology to take ET home." Search Ben Rich Lockheed on youtube or wherever you like.

Edited by Rolci
  • Like 2

I might hypothesize that there is a small window of time in a civilization's growth that such an "enterprise" is possible. The window is, in part, defined by funds and population growth. As the population increases, more and more funding goes to sustaining it and dealing with the consequences of uncontrolled growth e.g. global warming, diminishing resources, wars. Human procreation as is our explorative nature are not rational acts, but biological imperatives. Recognizing that we humans are becoming the virulent cancer of this planet necessitates that we move on and do so as quickly as possible in order for civilization and its underpinnings to survive. The window is closing.

• Like 1

Its never going to happen as long as we keep insisting on spending money on nations that hate us, research grants to schools for studies that are a complete and utter waste of money and on thwarting Darwinism by paying people to not work and stay home and be lazy and continue to pop out more kids into poverty.

If and when we finally make people responsible for their own lives then and ONLY then might we have the funding to pursue the dream of space exploration and the preservation of our species.

Until then we are doomed to live here until we are wiped out and extinct.

My money is on extinction.

Just remember, the Star Trek Universe didn't happen until after WWIII. Then the Vulcans came, money was no longer used, so cost was a non-factor. You just did it. Everyone had everything they wanted. So unless human nature changes, it's never going to happen.

• Like 1

That's just it. We as a race(human) will destroy ourselves long before this wonderful idea ever comes to fruition. And as far as the notion of not needing any money for anything, tell that to the corporate machine and gauge their reaction(I'm guessing laughter).

I LOVE the idea of a "Star Trek" future - humanity coming togather to concentrate on one core goal. For the sake of curiosity, we looked up the total cost of WWII and adjusted to inflation. $26 trillion spent worldwide. Imagine how much closer we'd be if we had funnelled all that coin into an Enterprise...

• Like 1

Just remember, the Star Trek Universe didn't happen until after WWIII. Then the Vulcans came, money was no longer used, so cost was a non-factor. You just did it. Everyone had everything they wanted. So unless human nature changes, it's never going to happen.

The First Contact took place on the evening of April 5, 2063, when a Vulcan survey ship, the T'Plana-Hath, having detected the warp signature of the Phoenix, touched down in Bozeman, central Montana, where they met with the Phoenix's designer and pilot, Zefram Cochrane.

http://en.memory-alp...i/First_contact

Edited by DBunker

That's the problem the quick buck artist that run this world make more money out of war and drug profiteering. And they don't what their slaves the rest of us escaping from them. As Dark_Grey pointed out if we hadn't wasted all that money on all the stupid wars since 1914 we could have afforded to explore the galaxy. The greed heads don't care so long as they have money to burn.

Too bad that when science and technology is just pure science and technology, little funding is available.

But when a profit potential is clearly seen or reasonably envisioned, money all of a sudden magically appears.

• Like 3

I think the real question is, can we afford not to.

The enterprise is a good warship and research vessal.

But, we don't need a good warship. We need a modular ship. That way the price of the core ship drops sinceit can be mass produced. The modular sections would be cheaper since they wouldn't need engines.

Edited by danielost
  • Like 2

with the advent of transporters, money would become obsolete. after all, where could you safely keep it? and when replicators come along, you can just whip up as much cash as you need!

vivé la trek!

• Like 2

with the advent of transporters, money would become obsolete. after all, where could you safely keep it? and when replicators come along, you can just whip up as much cash as you need!

vivé la trek!

My Ultra-XYZ prints money just fine.

Oooppsss...... (Just kidding, Mr. Secret Service)

• Like 1

There's always the possibility that some new invention of an as yet unknown technology could make it affordable. But the world is sadly lacking in Teslas and Einsteins and instead has too many lunatics.

• Like 3

3D printers are the answer. Maybe not for the hull, but most of the interior could be mass replicated. Instead of making, say, 10,000 knobs out of aluminium, just print them with PVC for 1/10 the cost

• Like 1

vivé la trek!

vivé la trek!

This is why the beast will have us change to credits and keep track of it on computer. This is why you won't be able to buy or sell with out the mark. The mark is the key to your account. I think god will just do away with money, just a guess nothing to back t up with.

This is why the beast will have us change to credits and keep track of it on computer. This is why you won't be able to buy or sell with out the mark. The mark is the key to your account. I think god will just do away with money, just a guess nothing to back t up with.

it's pretty obvious that the current system, capitalism, isn't working, and while communism is sound on paper, outside of small collectives it's completely unworkable, so SOMETHING'S gotta give, but what will replace it is anybody's gues.....

it's pretty obvious that the current system, capitalism, isn't working, and while communism is sound on paper, outside of small collectives it's completely unworkable, so SOMETHING'S gotta give, but what will replace it is anybody's gues.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin, or something similar. It's catching on - can you imagine a world without corporate/government regulated currency??

• Like 2

I have an idea. Lets just do what we deem most fitting, like the bitcoin thing, let the people decide what currency system they abide by instead of forcing them to capitalism, communism or whatever. Then you got less room to complain and worry about. There'll always be a need for traders to organize the systems probably, but giving traders a major part of the profits like we do to bankers and such now, is hardly necessary. The people today are too driven to gather something they'll just have to let go of in some decades anyhow when they die, a massive vanity.

I have an idea. Lets just do what we deem most fitting, like the bitcoin thing, let the people decide what currency system they abide by instead of forcing them to capitalism, communism or whatever. Then you got less room to complain and worry about. There'll always be a need for traders to organize the systems probably, but giving traders a major part of the profits like we do to bankers and such now, is hardly necessary. The people today are too driven to gather something they'll just have to let go of in some decades anyhow when they die, a massive vanity.

The thing about BitCoin is that you can't just...make more of it. It is a currency that can't be inflated. That is a huge bonus

Financially, I don't see a problem. We're (The USA) already borrowing a trillion and a half each year (or more?). If the construction was spread out over 4 or 5 years, the cost could probably even be hidden from the Public.

Also got to remember that in Star Trek, the world is one government. So all nations (member nations?) would be taking a chunk of the cost.

I'm assuming the hundreds of trillions is for the anti-matter??

In "The Voyage Home" when Kirk and Gillian were having lunch and when it came to paying she asked Kirk "Don't tell me, there's no money in the 24th century?", it hit me that the United Federation of Planets is a communism without the selfserving leadership that plagues all forms of government, even ours. Everyone has a purpose (employment), meals, a place to live, medical care, specials needs (such as the mental, emotional and physically challenged) are cared for. Everyone is equal. The specifics are endless. The world of Star Trek is more than space ships, it's a state of mind. A utopian society that we will never reach because of, well, the 7 deadly sins is a good place to start. Planet earth is neck deep in them.

Edited by Hobbit Feet
  • Like 1

The First Contact took place on the evening of April 5, 2063, when a Vulcan survey ship, the T'Plana-Hath, having detected the warp signature of the Phoenix, touched down in Bozeman, central Montana, where they met with the Phoenix's designer and pilot, Zefram Cochrane.

http://en.memory-alp...i/First_contact

Yes, about ten years after WWIII...

http://en.memory-alp...i/World_War_III

We are going backwards, the meek ( low wage low educated, government dependent ) are inheriting the world, there will be no money for space advancements. Look at NASA most of their budget is gone, the federal government needed it to pay for entitlement programs.

Private industry is not going to do much either as they are in business to make a profit but if no one can afford whatever their investment in space travel brings they won't invest.

Forward to the final frontier, no.

Backward to the middle ages, yes.

• Like 1