Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Druids, Magic & Pagans

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1    The Raven

The Raven

Wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 05:47 AM

After a recent spark of renewed interest, I have decided to first ask the folks at UM before I waste any money on knowledge that comes from more places than websites.

I am interested in hearing anything and everything you know about Druids, Magic, and Pagan religions. Doesn't matter if it's been said a thousand times, it's still good information.

I am also interested in hearing personal stories dealing with any of these factors. Please only post in this if you actually know something about it, and are not going to post something like "Druids are the devil's followers"

I just want to have a worthwhile discussion for once.

Baron Wormser said:

What brought me to the woods was the longing to be with words in an undistracted place. 'Woods' and 'words' were almost identical.

Wayfarer - A Journey in Thought and Creation

#2    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

• The origonal Damneddirtytreehugging-
    paganhippiewerecougarrum pirate.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:16 AM

I wish I knew how to word it.. but I think everything I've said in the past about my damneddirtytreehugginghippiepagan beliefs is enough.

I refuse to be labled "New Age" or "Neo Pagan"  since what I believe in is older then human recolection will ever know.

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and
watch videos on angelfish and become one with nature.

#3    Mr Ed

Mr Ed

Duff

• 4,672 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 09:36 AM

I am interested in hearing anything and everything you know about Druids, Magic, and Pagan religions.

I heard they are relics from the past.

Forum Boy

#4    mako

mako

Poltergeist

• 2,770 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

but I think everything I've said in the past about my damneddirtytreehugginghippiepagan beliefs is enough.

You sell yourself short dear lady, I find your beliefs quite refreshing after the Hell and Damnation offered up by so many on this forum.  I have had quite a few friends (especially when I lived in East Anglia) that were Druids, Wiccans, and Pagans of other stripes (knew some Greek Pagans when I lived in Athens).  I found that their belief system was a much more friendly and natural way of viewing the creation that the Creator (or Gods and Goddesses)  gave us.  Mankind is basically good, a fact that Pagans recognize, and following the morals and beliefs of the Pagan systems is as effective (if not more so) than that of the mainline major religions (with the possible exception of true Buddhism)  yes.gif  

Our earth is degenerate in these latter days.  There are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end.  Bribery and corruption are common,   Children no longer obey their parents.  Every man wants to write a book, and the end of the world evidently is approaching.
                    Assyrian tablet circa 2800 BCE

#5    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,564 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 12:40 PM

Having just read "To Ride a Silver Broomstick" (or something like that), I was surprised at how closely witchcraft intersects with the major monotheistic religions.  For those that worship a god or goddess, you do rituals to honor them, seek their aid, commune with them.   Rituals and spells could be akin to Christian prayer, just with more elaboration.

I'm not talking about a specific Christian sect (ie Roman Catholicism etc.), just in general.  Paganism or Witchcraft seems a very tiring religion, and I don't quite see how you have much time to do anything else besides study and do rituals.  The premise is good, but I also think the premise of Christianity is good.

Embrace the impossible.

#6    bacca

bacca

Puppet master of Vision

• 2,424 posts

• Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:11 PM

'To ride a silver broomstick' would follow a lot of wicca....which is basically a newer believe that follows a rede and has things such as circles and such, they may follow one god or goddess basically because a lot of the followers of this are christian or other religion converts that aren't necessarily ready to let go of old ideas, some only stay for a time others longer. But some people who follow the older ways may follow multiple or no gods.....it's up to what the person wants feels whether they cast or do constant rituals is a personal choice among each follower/believer

Commit random acts of kindness

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#7    Irish

Irish

“The Mod Father”

• 4,934 posts

• Practice Random Acts of Kindness, they return to you!

Posted 19 July 2005 - 04:24 PM

The druids were called the people of the oak. Unfortunately any language and writings were done on bark and leaves. Which doesn’t preserve well, that is why we know so little about them. Most is speculation based on stories from Bards of the middle ages.
Many have claimed they understand the magic of the Druids but have no way to back up their claims so most is myth and legends.
Irish

Most people do not want to know the truth they only want confirmation for what they think is truth.

#8    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,564 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:02 PM

QUOTE(bacca @ Jul 19 2005, 12:11 PM)
'To ride a silver broomstick' would follow a lot of wicca....which is basically a newer believe that follows a rede and has things such as circles and such, they may follow one god or goddess basically because a lot of the followers of this are christian or other religion converts that aren't necessarily ready to let go of old ideas, some only stay for a time others longer. But some people who follow the older ways may follow multiple or no gods.....it's up to what the person wants feels whether they cast or do constant rituals is a personal choice among each follower/believer

View Post

Thanks bacca.  The books was not to explanatory on which 'branch' of religion it was talking about.  All I took from it was... way too many rituals, and some of them sounded like they had no purpose.  It was like Roman Catholicism (with a different god/dess) for Environmentalists or something.

Embrace the impossible.

#9    bacca

bacca

Puppet master of Vision

• 2,424 posts

• Allasourous
    Jan 2003-Sept 25 2005
    Have a SUPER SPARKLEY DAY

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:24 PM

A good book for basics that will give you some wiccan info and god/goddess info would be something like 'solitary witch, book of shadows' it is written buy the same author as the to ride a silver broomstick. I have a copy and although I don't really follow what that book teaches it's a good one for basics at least in my opinion. Then start looking in more places and talking to different people and following what you believe is right, you should learn to listen to yourself and to follow what nature tells you.....well anyway hope that is something for you...there are pagans on here that are much better at explaining things then me since I can't exactly fall into any one category  thumbsup.gif

Commit random acts of kindness

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it!!!

#10    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,564 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 06:40 PM

I'm pretty much on the path for me already, but I am always eager to learn about other philosophies/religions.  I tend to think that going back to the source - the earliest ideas etc. and am not too interested in 'new' religions.

Sorry for straying a bit from the topic.

Embrace the impossible.

#11    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 19 July 2005 - 08:20 PM

QUOTE(Irish @ Jul 19 2005, 04:24 PM)
The druids were called the people of the oak. Unfortunately any language and writings were done on bark and leaves. Which doesn’t preserve well, that is why we know so little about them. Most is speculation based on stories from Bards of the middle ages.
Many have claimed they understand the magic of the Druids but have no way to back up their claims so most is myth and legends.
Irish

View Post

And that's why there are so many misconceptions and whatnot about them.

*grins* ANd Mako... as refreshing as it is...  X) I'm still just a damneddirtytreehugginghippiepagan

It's not selling myself short.. it's reveling in the title!

Doctor_Strangelove: If only I lived in a world with no risk of piss tests. Then I could just sit here and

#12    JMPD1

JMPD1

Child of the Universe

• 6,022 posts

• you want to know the answer? Hell, I'm still working on the question!

Posted 20 July 2005 - 12:50 AM

Yeah SC, but I bet you wash up pretty.
original.gif

Quote of the Year 2006: HAY! I did more then just say I wanna be ina a man sammich! - SC

You have the right to remain silent.  You might want to think about exercising that right more often

Not Another Moment Lost To Seizures

#13    SilverCougar

SilverCougar

All hail the gods of Rum

• 10,873 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 01:52 AM

*dies laughing*

#14    dezza

dezza

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 08:20 AM

Well, when the student is ready the teacher will appear. When you say druids, pagans and ... what exactly you looking for? at? into?

#15    Ashley-Star*Child

Ashley-Star*Child

Alien Abducter

• 5,015 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:02 AM

I regret that I have been involved with magic and 'the Circle' before, taking the element of 'fire'. I've talked briefly about the after effects on here a few times. Here's some advice from someone who has been there. Don't do it..

Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users