Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


- - - - -

Animals are conscious and should be treated

animals conscious

  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

    Deeply Mysterious

  • 37,026 posts
  • Joined:01 Jun 2008
  • Gender:Female

  • Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:45 AM

Now that scientists have belatedly declared that mammals, birds and many other animals are conscious, it is time for society to act.

ARE animals conscious? This question has a long and venerable history. Charles Darwin asked it when pondering the evolution of consciousness. His ideas about evolutionary continuity - that differences between species are differences in degree rather than kind - lead to a firm conclusion that if we have something, "they" (other animals) have it too.

http://www.newscient...ed-as-such.html

Posted Image

#2    questionmark

questionmark

    Cinicus Magnus

  • Member
  • 34,244 posts
  • Joined:26 Jun 2007
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Greece and Des Moines, IA

  • In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

That is something that was known for quite a while. Yes animals should be treated with the respect they deserve and animals should have rights. But that does not take away the fact that it will be humans who will "award" these rights and not the animals who will fight for it.

That means that animals will remain in our food chain... we just have to get accustomed to the idea that we don't have to torture something before we want to eat it.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#3    notoverrated

notoverrated

    O.O

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • Joined:18 Jul 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Kansas

  • courage > scooby

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:10 AM

knew my dog could understand me >.> that sneaky mutt, plays stupid all day long :td:

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#4    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,957 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

Pretty sure my cat is actively trying to kill me.
Pretty sure all cats are actively trying to kill all humans.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#5    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Of course animals are conscious. They have the same emotions as us, the same basic motivations, they are the same as us! All of what makes us 'US' we share with our animal cousins.
We are all 'animals'. It's not anthropomorphism to recognise these similarities, it's simple common sense and basic observation.

We 'devalue' other forms of life to excuse mistreating them.

Edited by Atlantia, 25 September 2012 - 11:29 AM.


#6    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 25 September 2012 - 11:25 AM, said:

Pretty sure my cat is actively trying to kill me.
Pretty sure all cats are actively trying to kill all humans.

For sure, haven't you seen the film:
"Honey I shrunk the Kids... and the Cat's eaten them"?


#7    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,957 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

I'm in no way arguing that animals should be mistreated, but I am also in no way going to stop eating their delicious flesh.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#8    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 25 September 2012 - 11:34 AM, said:

I'm in no way arguing that animals should be mistreated, but I am also in no way going to stop eating their delicious flesh.

"Animals are my friends..... and I don't eat my friends"
-George Bernard Shaw

Spend a day in a slaughterhouse then define 'mistreatment' for me.


#9    Hartmut

Hartmut

    -

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined:21 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Australia

  • Without artists, the worlds would be,
    like a world without flowers and butterflies.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hi Still Waters,
If we can accept, or at least consider, that the Energy/Force, popularly knows as God, exist - as proposed by Professor Sheldrakee's 'Morphic Field' or the various 'String' 'Dark matter' etc.theories by Hawkins and others....
- than we may realise that we are not God, but certainly a part of that unknown God-Like Energy, which has manifested into THE EVERYTHING that is - in and on every level of existence.
If so, than we are all connected and in that sense there are no "aliens", or animals which are not a part of that ONE Creative Force; which in my opinion gives ALL living creatures conscious awareness - and therefore need and must be respected.

Edited by Hartmut, 25 September 2012 - 11:45 AM.


#10    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,957 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostAtlantia, on 25 September 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

"Animals are my friends..... and I don't eat my friends"
-George Bernard Shaw

Spend a day in a slaughterhouse then define 'mistreatment' for me.

I've been to a slaughterhouse before. I've also prepared my own meats before. Still tasty.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#11    Render

Render

    Psychic Spy

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts
  • Joined:23 Nov 2009
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

i think this is very much related:
http://www.unexplain...howtopic=234619

and also the threads that have gone before that about kittens whose eyelids were sewed together as experiments.
And also a thread about cockroaches being controlled with chip implants.
And now also a new thread about worms' behaviour being controlled.


serious high scaled debates are needed again obviously.


#12    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 25 September 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

I've been to a slaughterhouse before. I've also prepared my own meats before. Still tasty.

So would you use those same 'humane' methods of killing to dispatch a beloved pet for example?
Or terminally ill relative?

Mistreatment is relative.  I of course would consider the act of killing itself to be a most extreme form of 'mistreatment', but even within the sphere of the euphemism of 'humane kiling' there is a lot of 'room'.


#13    None of the above

None of the above

    Psychic Spy

  • Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts
  • Joined:20 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostHartmut, on 25 September 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

Hi Still Waters,
If we can accept, or at least consider, that the Energy/Force, popularly knows as God, exist - as proposed by Professor Sheldrakee's 'Morphic Field' or the various 'String' 'Dark matter' etc.theories by Hawkins and others....
- than we may realise that we are not God, but certainly a part of that unknown God-Like Energy, which has manifested into THE EVERYTHING that is - in and on every level of existence.
If so, than we are all connected and in that sense there are no "aliens", or animals which are not a part of that ONE Creative Force; which in my opinion gives ALL living creatures conscious awareness - and therefore need and must be respected.


Beautiful, I can only highlight in gold!

The force is strong in you. :)


#14    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,957 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostAtlantia, on 25 September 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

So would you use those same 'humane' methods of killing to dispatch a beloved pet for example?
Or terminally ill relative?

Mistreatment is relative.  I of course would consider the act of killing itself to be a most extreme form of 'mistreatment', but even within the sphere of the euphemism of 'humane kiling' there is a lot of 'room'.

I volunteer in a wildlife shelter. I put animals down all day. I guess I'm just desensitized to it.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#15    Hartmut

Hartmut

    -

  • Member
  • Pip
  • 178 posts
  • Joined:21 Feb 2011
  • Gender:Not Selected
  • Location:Australia

  • Without artists, the worlds would be,
    like a world without flowers and butterflies.

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

View PostAtlantia, on 25 September 2012 - 11:53 AM, said:



Beautiful, I can only highlight in gold!

The force is strong in you. :)

Thank you, - Live long and prosper !
For light entertainment:




Edited by Hartmut, 25 September 2012 - 12:42 PM.






Also tagged with animals, conscious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users