Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Becoming vegetarian can harm the environment

• Please log in to reply
115 replies to this topic

#106    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,828 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:41 PM

View PostMarby, on 15 February 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

Ah, gotcha. Personally, I'm not worried about whether something is organic or not. It is a pretty big scam. Maybe this is just me, but I really only go to my local farmer's market for the freshest stuff available, and to support the locals. I can't speak for all farmer's markets, but I know that at mine, the majority of the stuff is in season and quite literally, from down the road. Sure, there are some that do ship stuff in, but around here, it's pretty much known who does.

I've found the smaller the farmer's market the better. They don't have as much variety, but you can pretty much be sure where the produce comes from.

#107    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 29,969 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:43 PM

View PostMichelle, on 15 February 2010 - 06:41 PM, said:

[/b]

I've found the smaller the farmer's market the better. They don't have as much variety, but you can pretty much be sure where the produce comes from.

i guess it would help if said market only operated during the harvest season.   of course if you live in an area where something is always being harvested that might not help.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#108    Michelle

Michelle

Forum Divinity

• 14,828 posts

• Eleanor Roosevelt: Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 06:48 PM

View Postdanielost, on 15 February 2010 - 06:43 PM, said:

i guess it would help if said market only operated during the harvest season.   of course if you live in an area where something is always being harvested that might not help.

That's where you have to educate yourself. Even in a place that is warm year around, everything has a season.

#109    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,940 posts

• Dysfunctional you can fix, ******** can't be.

Posted 15 February 2010 - 07:30 PM

View PostMarby, on 15 February 2010 - 06:33 PM, said:

Ah, gotcha. Personally, I'm not worried about whether something is organic or not. It is a pretty big scam. Maybe this is just me, but I really only go to my local farmer's market for the freshest stuff available, and to support the locals. I can't speak for all farmer's markets, but I know that at mine, the majority of the stuff is in season and quite literally, from down the road. Sure, there are some that do ship stuff in, but around here, it's pretty much known who does.

Ah, I am with you basically, I am wanting to support my local farmers and as I eat as close to the tree this works..

the selection is limited based on the season I am not bothered by this....

its cost effective for me...

I myself have not noticed any remarkable difference between organic or not..except price..

its seems eating fruits and veggies is just good for you irregardless if you have organic or meat on the plate....

I am interested in reducing my carbon footprint, for me....

#110    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 08:56 PM

View PostS♥ ♥ ♥, on 15 February 2010 - 07:30 PM, said:

Ah, I am with you basically, I am wanting to support my local farmers and as I eat as close to the tree this works..

the selection is limited based on the season I am not bothered by this....

its cost effective for me...

I myself have not noticed any remarkable difference between organic or not..except price..

its seems eating fruits and veggies is just good for you irregardless if you have organic or meat on the plate....

I am interested in reducing my carbon footprint, for me....

We have a very short growing season in this part of the world, at least compared to where I come from, so I do like to support the local economy as much as I can by buying in season produce. It actually is pretty cost effective. When I do buy things that aren't locally grown, I try and buy from the closest place possible. I don't know how they label things in the States anymore, but here, it's pretty cool because the produce has it's place of origin and the farmer's name on the package. I don't drive myself crazy over it, but I do make the effort when and how I can, especially since I don't generally buy processed food.

I don't really worry so much about organics so much as I try to get meat that is listed as free range, or hunted down by someone I know. I personally know the chickens that produce my eggs (they belong to my brother in law), and there is a big difference in taste between battery farm animals and free range animals. I notice this especially on the few occasions that we have to buy eggs because the girls are having a slow week, so I'm sure it's not my imagination or Jamie Oliver's power of suggestion.  ;) I'm willing to pay more to get a chicken or a pig that was raised in humane conditions.

#111    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:03 PM

View PostMarby, on 15 February 2010 - 08:56 PM, said:

We have a very short growing season in this part of the world, at least compared to where I come from, so I do like to support the local economy as much as I can by buying in season produce. It actually is pretty cost effective. When I do buy things that aren't locally grown, I try and buy from the closest place possible. I don't know how they label things in the States anymore, but here, it's pretty cool because the produce has it's place of origin and the farmer's name on the package. I don't drive myself crazy over it, but I do make the effort when and how I can, especially since I don't generally buy processed food.

I don't really worry so much about organics so much as I try to get meat that is listed as free range, or hunted down by someone I know. I personally know the chickens that produce my eggs (they belong to my brother in law), and there is a big difference in taste between battery farm animals and free range animals. I notice this especially on the few occasions that we have to buy eggs because the girls are having a slow week, so I'm sure it's not my imagination or Jamie Oliver's power of suggestion.  ;) I'm willing to pay more to get a chicken or a pig that was raised in humane conditions.

Well EU laws pretty much secure that now at least. They are really quite stringent on pig conditions.

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#112    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:08 PM

View PostMattshark, on 15 February 2010 - 09:03 PM, said:

Well EU laws pretty much secure that now at least. They are really quite stringent on pig conditions.

Yep. This was quite a relief for me. I love pork, but it does break my heart to see the conditions they were being raised in up until recently. It's still not ideal, but I can live with that. My mother in law spends a lot of time in Portugal, and when we are well behaved, she comes back with some Spanish hams that are to die for. Best part about those is that they are truly allowed to roam before they get slaughtered.

#113    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

View PostMarby, on 15 February 2010 - 09:08 PM, said:

Yep. This was quite a relief for me. I love pork, but it does break my heart to see the conditions they were being raised in up until recently. It's still not ideal, but I can live with that. My mother in law spends a lot of time in Portugal, and when we are well behaved, she comes back with some Spanish hams that are to die for. Best part about those is that they are truly allowed to roam before they get slaughtered.
Yep, it is part of what makes serrano ham so good!

YNWA

#114    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

View PostMattshark, on 15 February 2010 - 09:24 PM, said:

Yep, it is part of what makes serrano ham so good!

I love my ancestors for coming up with serrano ham. Wipe out civilizations in the New World, bring on the Spanish Inquisition.Cool. Just bring me jamon!  :D

#115    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:28 PM

View PostMarby, on 15 February 2010 - 09:25 PM, said:

I love my ancestors for coming up with serrano ham. Wipe out civilizations in the New World, bring on the Spanish Inquisition.Cool. Just bring me jamon!  :D
:lol:
Posted Image
The pic makes me very hungry!

YNWA

#116    Marby

Marby

Government Agent

• Closed
  • 4,306 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:36 PM

View PostMattshark, on 15 February 2010 - 09:28 PM, said:

:lol:
Posted Image
The pic makes me very hungry!

Same here! It makes me want to check cheap fares to Spain. But I won't. I'll wait and behave myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users