Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained Sonic Boom

ThePitOfReason

I live just a couple of miles from this area in this news clip. So far no one can explain it. A sound so loud people heard it up to 30 miles away and called 911 to report it. I have been reading this the last few days on the news and so far no damage has been reported. I first thought it might have been a local meth lab going up. But no fire or damage has been seen.

http://www.ajc.com/news/mystery-boom-still-confounding-755208.html

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Oppono Astos

• ThePitOfReason

• Coffey

• Yellow Jacket

probably just a military aircraft that went out of its flying zone and broke the sound barrier

thats about the only thing i can think of esp if there was no flash or anything else like that

unless superman decided to come to earth lol

Well someone must invstigate

Great, phantom missile fired off the U.S. coast, now phantom sonic boom inside the U.S., not really making me feel better about all the money spent on defense and Homeland Security.

Something broke through the sound barrier as someone else said already. Either that or some type of low frequency audio experiment.

As far as I know, even if it is a military aircraft, they will report that it was from a known source. That's what happened where I used to live. Sonic boom around 10 in the morning. Great way to wake up after a late night. :blink: But it was reported the next day where it came from. I can't remember how detailed the report was (it happened when I was about 16) but they made sure people knew that they knew what had caused it. The plane had gone "slightly" off course or whatever, but there was still a record of it. Even if it were, hypothetically, some super-secret no-one-can-know-about-it aircraft, they would still come forward and say it was military. . .and then just lie about what type. :D

Maybe they're just being a little slow on this one?

Edited by theGhost_and_theDarkness

Its difficult to deduce from the article if this was a actually double boom (ie sonic boom) or only a single boom (ie not a sonic boom but an explosion from some other source).

Ah Russia or China is evading US airspace.... It will be the Chinese after what happened in Korea. Yip you are all doomed! LOL (sorry)

Meteorite possibly? Here in New Zealand we had a medium sized meteor hit about 100km away from where I was situated, but as it broke the sound barrier it still sounded like an explosion had just gone off 30 metres away.

The article says there are no privately owned planes capable of traveling past mach 1, but doesn't Branson's SpaceShipOne go up to mach 3 at least? Or does that not count as a privately owned plane?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpaceShipOne

Does not suprise me they have no idea what it was. They could not even determine if the contrail off the California coast was from an airplane. They could only guess and say "Probably".

Aliens = Beyond our technology. Sonic boom = Old school technology which proves it was our stupid ass, not an advanced race.

Great, phantom missile fired off the U.S. coast, now phantom sonic boom inside the U.S., not really making me feel better about all the money spent on defense and Homeland Security.

This is what I was also thinking how could these things happen and leave the USA in the dark about it? It makes you wonder just how safe we are if these things can just jump up out of the darkness and bite us.

Same thing happened in the Myrtle Beach, SC area on Wednesday 11, 2010

North Strand residents report boom that shook the ground

Little River resident Steven Inscore was at his home when he felt a mysterious boom Wednesday morning.

Inscore, who lives on the Intracoastal Waterway in a four-story building, said it felt like it was moving.

"It was nothing subtle about it," Inscore said. "I felt the building shake. It felt more from the ground up, almost like an explosion under you, almost as if a plane hit the side of the building."

Inscore, who said it was fast and quick, said he checked on neighbors, who said they felt it as well.

When he called 911 to report the incident, which happened around 11 a.m. Wednesday, he said he was told that similar calls had come in from as far south as North Myrtle Beach, but they could not verify where it was coming from.

According to other media outlets, residents in Brunswick County, N.C., also felt a series of booms Wednesday morning — similar to booms reported earlier this month in Brunswick County, but no one seems to know what is causing it.

If it was an earthquake, Randy Webster, director of Horry County Emergency Management, said he would have received such reports, but he hasn’t.

Neither Horry County Fire Rescue nor the Horry County emergency management had received calls or reports about the loud noise Wednesday.

“To have the earth and land move in the amount of distance it did without an explanation is crazy and kind of strange,” Inscore said.

Just a thought but, how do they know without a doubt NO civilians have private aircrafts capable of making a sonic boom. People are getting richer and smarter.. I really wouldn't doubt it if some rich snob "secretly" obtained or built one to have as a "toy".

After all, if your rich enough to buy anything.. whats left to entertain yourself?

Hell.. If I was a Billionaire, I'd do it. I'd probably have my own submarine!

Inscore said. "I felt the building shake. It felt more from the ground up, almost like an explosion under you, almost as if a plane hit the side of the building."

Yeah, we don't relate new experiences to past experience at all do we.

And there was nothing mysterious about the contrails to anyone who was actually looking for an answer instead of hoping for one.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

Hearing this was also heard in SC on the 11th of this month is even more strange. An earth quake would be reported we have equipment that reads this stuff. A private jet breaking the sound barrier maybe but I doubt it myself. It would have been picked up on radar and someone would be in trouble and on the news. A meteorite could be but don't they also view these on the way in? But maybe they just don't see them all or worry about the ones to small to hit the earth.

MiG21s, MiG23s (why someone would want one is another story but there are some in civilian hands), MiG19s, F104s, Saab Drakens are all 1.0Mach capable. In fact a civilian owned 104 set the civilian speed record many years ago. Allegedly, there's an F16A and F4D also in civilian hands, so saying that no private airplane can reach Mach 1 is not entirely true.

I'm still waiting for confirmation it was actually a sonic boom, the original article isn't clear and it certainly hasn't been clarified.

It is now almost exactly 5 years since the explosion(s) at the Buncefield Oil Deport at Hemel Hempstead; from which the initial explosion - as a single boom - was heard here just over 40 miles away

I live in Lilburn, GA. My wife and I heard the "Boom," as well. That is a good 40 + miles away from Peachtree City and Douglas County. Very strange stuff. At first, we thought it might have been Stone Mountain and their fireworks. But, nothing from there has ever sounded that loud, before. (And they have fireworks every weekend) Something definately blew up. It was like that of an explosion, rather than a sonic boom, if you ask me. But, who am I? These are very curious times we live in.

Edited by Yellow Jacket

My thoughts exactly. Lots of "mysterious military" activity that for some reason cannot be explained, but we were able to find Saddam Hussein in a spider hole though. :rolleyes: