Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Stonehenge explanation? I could be too late

christservant

I'm not sure if it has been suggested, neither do I know much about Stonehenge or care much for it at all as a bunch of rocks.

But while it's easy to develop methods to move the rocks (yes, we all know about this), I always figured it would be simple then to just dig ditches and holes, move the rocks to them, drop them in place, letting gravity to its thing, and then drag rocks and put them over top of the ditch where the previous rocks had been dropped, and then simply get a punch of diggers to remove all of the excess dirt covering the whole build to reveal stonehenge itself.

So it's not people lifting rocks and placing them on top, they're merely dragged them on top of it and then removed all the excess soil. Gravity is hardly impressive a feat of Stonehenge when the entire world is gifted with its abilities.

I could be too late in this theory, I don't know. But it's just what I think. Does anyone else care to affirm the obvious of this explanation? I am torn. I hope for the sake of mentalists that I am not the first to realize this, because God himself just simply blessed me with this thought process and aside from my belief in God, I would think other men would have this capability. It's not that complex of an idea to come up with.

And then, I also hope that for the sake of peace that I am the first to come up with this, because if someone came up with it before, then people ought realize it, recognize how worthless the design and erected structure it really is, and stop trying to figure it out. So, in hopes that people have sense, I hope I am the first. And in hopes to put to peace finally, then I out of my own hope, I hope that if I am the first, then people finally now do see how worthless stongehenge is. It's a bunch of rocks moved into ditches and uncovered (possibly.) God bless, and let us go in peace.

If I can drag a very large rock on the ground, I can dig a hole in my backyard, and build my own version of stonehenge. And that is not mysterious or impressive or amazing. Although it might be fun to sit on and take pictures for the entire world to see.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Monkyburd

• christservant

• snuffypuffer

• wunarmdscissor

you know how much dirt they would have to remove? and how deep the ditchest would have to be for that explanation? you do no that stonehenge is a LARGE formation right?

First of all, Stonehenge is not worthless! I'm not going anywhere in peace if you suggest that! angry.gif

Yes, stonehenge was made by dragging rocks into holes and you are probably the last person to mention this idea ever. tongue.gif But really, it wasn't that simple.

The rocks that make up stonehenge are massive, at least 15 tons each and are at least 15ft tall even though 1/3 of their height has sunk into the earth. They are positioned into a horshoe pattern at the center, and the outer circles (all but one row have weathered away) form near perfect circles, the largest 100 meters in diameter. Along the outer circle are 56 "Aubry holes", and a large "heelstone" sits outside the circle to the east.

The sarsen stones used to make stonehenge were not just "found in their backyard" either. The stone was traced to a quarry many miles away, and were most likely dragged by men to a ship and taken to stonehenge by primitive rafts. The "Lintel" or top pieces of stonehenge were most likely placed on by building dirt mounds around the previous stones and slowly and meticulously moved higher.

It takes nearly 50-80 men to budge one of these giant stones, some taken all the way from Wales! w00t.gif

But its just not a buncha rocks either.. When standing in the center of stonehenge, you can see solar events based on the placements of the rocks; the beginning and end of summer, the beginning and end of winter, and the 56 Aubury holes records years between solar eclipses. It really acted like a calender, people think to show when to plant crops and when to harvest.

Besides, it really is a mystery, like much ancient art. Why build something so big and time consuming? What was the purpose of the Aubury stones, besides telling when eclipses would occur? For its time period, Stonehenge is a marvel of human engineering and architecture.

Quick Stonehenge Page

Edited by Monkyburd

you know how much dirt they would have to remove? and how deep the ditchest would have to be for that explanation? you do no that stonehenge is a LARGE formation right?

448283[/snapback]

And your telling me they couldn't remove the dirt to put the rocks into place? They pyramids were done, and stonehenge would have been much, much easier to build. So it's not really hard to do, and I'm not at all surprise if that's what they did.

448283[/snapback]

And your telling me they couldn't remove the dirt to put the rocks into place? They pyramids were done, and stonehenge would have been much, much easier to build. So it's not really hard to do, and I'm not at all surprise if that's what they did.

448381[/snapback]

Yes, I totally agree. It is easier to remove a city's worth of dirt than to lift 15 ton rocks in order to build the structure. Moreover, it wasn't a city's worth of dirt, and wouldn't have been all that difficult to simply go shoveling away. Especially if they needed men to move the stones. I'm sure the men were much happier to shovel or dig after they had to move the rocks.

First of all, Stonehenge is not worthless! I'm not going anywhere in peace if you suggest that! angry.gif

Yes, stonehenge was made by dragging rocks into holes and you are probably the last person to mention this idea ever.  tongue.gif But really, it wasn't that simple.

So, by last am I also first? Seeing as how you say "ever." I am confused. I haven't found anywhere where people suggest dropping stones into holes and uncovering the surface, so please elaborate so I don't look like a jerk when I break the pathetic maneuver to those who seek its design.

The sarsen stones used to make stonehenge were not just "found in their backyard" either. The stone was traced to a quarry many miles away, and were most likely dragged by men to a ship and taken to stonehenge by primitive rafts. The "Lintel" or top pieces of stonehenge were most likely placed on by building dirt mounds around the previous stones and slowly and meticulously moved higher.

It takes nearly 50-80 men to budge one of these giant stones, some taken all the way from Wales! w00t.gif

Okay, well they obviously had the desire to do all this work, so I doubt their painstaking trouble of moving them will impress anyone. Funny how they all died and now the landmark sits...alone, til people visit it. I hope they're happy now that they've rotted away.

But its just not a buncha rocks either.. When standing in the center of stonehenge, you can see solar events based on the placements of the rocks; the beginning and end of summer, the beginning and end of winter, and the 56 Aubury holes records years between solar eclipses. It really acted like a calender, people think to show when to plant crops and when to harvest.

Well, that's kind of cool. But hardly questionable. So they wanted a large means of knowing the seasons. People should freak out over their presence? Idolatry, a bit, I would think.

Besides, it really is a mystery, like much ancient art. Why build something so big and time consuming? What was the purpose of the Aubury stones, besides telling when eclipses would occur? For its time period, Stonehenge is a marvel of human engineering and architecture.

No. The only feat is moving the stones. Other than that, digging holes, using gravity, and removing dirt is hardly groundbreaking (no pun intended.) But then again, all sorts of civilizations moved large, massively heavy stones.

That theory (dig a hole, put a rock in it) is and has been for some time the most widely accepted theroy already; you act like you just came up with yourself! laugh.gif

These heavy stones came from a place called Marlborough Downs near Avebury in Northwiltshire, twenty miles north of Stonehenge (Stonehenge, 2). They transported the using rollers and sledges like their predecessors. With such heavy stones, it took five hundred individuals to pull one stone, with another one hundred to lay heavy rollers in front of the stone. It's steepest part, Redhorn Hill, took even more persons. One theory suggests that the Wessex peoples only transported stones when there was ice on the ground so the stones would just slide along. Once at Stonehenge, they prepared the stones for their pre-dug holes. The builders dressed them for their lintels and trimmed and pointed their ends. Levers made the stone rise until gravity slid it the rest of the way into the hole. At a 30-degree angle to the ground, the Wessex workers pulled on ropes from the opposite side, raising it to upright position. Workers quickly filled the hole at the stone's base with small, round packing stones. They then lowered the lintels into place ("Stonehenge", NPA). Outside this circle is an outer ring of sarsen trilithons, called the sarsen circle, consisting of 30 smaller stones with lintels (Roop, 71). They used the same process on the outer ring.

Quoted from this Site

Besides, how it was built is not the mystery of Stonehenge. The Mystery is why they built it and for what purpose. It's a cultural and architectural masterpiece for its time, and there's probably a good reason for it.

Also interesting is who made it. Some say Druid anscestors created it long ago, and greek symbols have been found etched into some of the stones. How did Greeks get all the way up there and Why would they build it there?

You obviously don't know anything about Stonehenge the way you talk about it. disgust.gif

That theory (dig a hole, put a rock in it) is and has been for some time the most widely accepted theroy already; you act like you just came up with yourself!  laugh.gif

You obviously don't know anything about Stonehenge the way you talk about it. disgust.gif

448572[/snapback]

I thought I made it clear I know nothing. And I'm glad people thought of the digging holes theory. It entered my head some days or weeks ago and now I decided to see what use of it. Like I said, I didn't know if someone else thought of it. And, thanks for telling me that it isn't the mystery. Because I thought that was the bigget mystery of it...being that and Coral Castle and everything.

ok ok, just checking. I don't like people who make fun of art. no.gif

Wow... I feel dumb, but i've never thought of that... that makes it seem a lot easier. Dragging rocks that big up a hill wouldn't have been too easy, but hey, it's possible.

They actually did a re-creation of how it would have been done on a Discovery Channel show. And it's entirely possible... I don't see how anyone can disagree with this.

Stonehenge (the original) was rebuilt several times in the many years it was created. To be specific, stonehenge as it exsists today is called "Stonehenge 3" being the third time ancient people's added onto the original design.

As for those "other" stonehenges, I dunno, those photos could have just as easily been pictures of workers safeproofing/getting stonehenge ready for public viewing. But still, interesting.

nonesense the lot of it.

Stonehenge was a giants kitchen .

Seriously the leprechaun from my dreams tells me all about it, he used to play chess against him.

tis true

Sounds like somebody has a problem with Stonehenge. Did it take your wallet or something?

Sounds like somebody has a problem with Stonehenge.  Did it take your wallet or something?

450908[/snapback]

you're sucha smartass...lol....i'm luvin it!

Edited by dkmc03