Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Alcohol and diet soda may be a bad mix

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,960 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

Saving calories at the bar may not be a good thing.
Researchers gave college students vodka drinks with regular soda and with diet soda, and the diet soda group got more intoxicated, faster - about 20% more intoxicated than those who mixed regular soda with liquor, according to research published Tuesday in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research. Sugar in your mixed drink actually slows down the effects of alcohol, researchers say.
The study
Though it was a very small study, only eight women and eight men, the findings closely match previous research linking diet drinks and increased alcohol levels in the body.

READ MORE

I know diet soda seems a bit more carbonated than regular soda to me as well. I wonder if that is a factor?

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#2    Gummug

Gummug

Poltergeist

• 2,295 posts

• "There are more things in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy" -- Shakespeare

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:34 PM

I had never heard of this before, thanks. Personally I am not a fan of any soda, sugar or otherwise, because it hurts my stomach. I prefer to mix my vodka or tequila with fruit juice or Ovaltine (with milk of course) or Ensure (lol) or even coffee or tea (some might say yuck with the tea).

Posted Image

#3    CrimsonKing

CrimsonKing

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

• "It does not require a majority to prevail,but rather an irate,tireless minority keen to set brushfires in peoples minds" Sam Adams

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

Was reading this yesterday,i do not drink any soda"s just drink my drink of choice straight maybe a little ice every now and then

"If it is not advantageous,do not move.If objectives can not be attained,do not employ the army.Unless endangered do not engage in warfare.The ruler cannot mobilize the army out of personal anger.The general can not engage in battle because of personal frustration.When it is advantageous,move;when not advantageous,stop.Anger can revert to happiness,annoyance can revert to joy,but a vanquished state cannot be revived,the dead cannot be brought back to life." Sun-Tzu

#4    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 15,228 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:01 PM

Something tells me that college students might actually be *wanting* to get more intoxicated quicker? In fact, I'd be willing to put down good money that this is indeed the case.

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#5    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 12,544 posts

• I dunno --

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

I haven't had a soft drink in years, diet or otherwise.  They are all over Vietnam and the "energy drinks" are popular.  As far as I can see, all you do is dump a load of sugar into your bloodstream and then flood yourself with adrenalin.  Bound to do harm sooner or later.

As I have been informed, the low-cal drinks fool the brain's satiety senses, and the body makes up for it later so that you do more harm than good.

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 06 February 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

I know diet soda seems a bit more carbonated than regular soda to me as well. I wonder if that is a factor?

You may have something there.

For myself, I always noticed how I would get buzzed much quicker with champagne than from a higher alcohol content non-carnbonated liquor.
I always assumed as well that it was the carbonation somehow getting the alcohol quicker in my system. But I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know?

#7    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 6,960 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:26 PM

View Postpallidin, on 06 February 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

You may have something there.

For myself, I always noticed how I would get buzzed much quicker with champagne than from a higher alcohol content non-carnbonated liquor.
I always assumed as well that it was the carbonation somehow getting the alcohol quicker in my system. But I could be wrong.

Does anyone here know?
Not sure how reliable this source is (the healthy drinker?..LOL)  but it does make a bit of sense.

Article

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#8    Overpopulation

Overpopulation

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:12 PM

Anything with diet soda is a bad mix.

#9    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts