Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boy, 9, says stray bullet missed him because

Still Waters

A 9-year-old Boston boy says divine intervention saved his life when a bullet fired in the street outside his home came through his bedroom wall and left a smoking hole in the Boston Celtics jersey he was wearing.

Preston Stevens says he felt some sort of force push him before the bullet went through his Rajon Rondo jersey Tuesday afternoon, barely missing his torso.He says "it was like God" pushed him. He saw and smelled smoke.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left-Field

• Euphorbia

• Rlyeh

• Beckys_Mom

Did God fire the bullet as well?

Did God fire the bullet as well?

How does that question, or the answer to it, correlate to what the boy says he experienced?

How does that question, or the answer to it, correlate to what the boy says he experienced?

Did you miss the part about the bullet? Or wasn't that part of the experience?

Did you miss the part about the bullet? Or wasn't that part of the experience?

What he says he experienced is the following:

Preston Stevens says he felt some sort of force push him before the bullet went through his Rajon Rondo jersey Tuesday afternoon, barely missing his torso. He says "it was like God" pushed him.

Whether God did or didn't fire the bullet has nothing to do with the "force" he says he felt push him before the bullet went through his jersey.

Whether God did or didn't fire the bullet has nothing to do with the "force" he says he felt push him before the bullet went through his jersey.

So the bullet wasn't a factor?

If there was a force, who says it was god? I say it was Jedi Knights. If there was a force then this is just as plausible.:rolleyes:

If there was a force, who says it was god? I say it was Jedi Knights. If there was a force then this is just as plausible.:rolleyes:

I am not claiming the force he felt was or wasn't God. I'm simply trying to understand why Rlyeh feels it is important to know whether or not God fired the bullet to come to an understanding of the child's description of what he felt.

Edited by Angel Left Wing

I am not claiming the force he felt was or wasn't God. I'm simply tyring to understand why Rlyeh feels it is important to know whether or not God fired the bullet to come to an understanding of the child's description as to what he felt.

Let me try......

For this " divine intervention " to happen, a bullet had to have been shot, thrown at high speed, whatever, out of something to go to the boy, to have the boy pushed.......

So, did God also fire the gun that shot the bullet, so he could push boy out of the way, so the story could be told......

No bullet, no story.

Did that work?.....That is what I got out of it.

I am not claiming the force he felt was or wasn't God. I'm simply tyring to understand why Rlyeh feels it is important to know whether or not God fired the bullet to come to an understanding of the child's description as to what he felt.

I'll leave that issue to you and RIyeh.

The boy was just missed by this bullet and says that a force pushed him. He believes it was god trying to save him......but what if it was actually the devil and that the devil just wasn't fast enough in pushing the child into the bullet's path??? :ph34r:

It all comes down to belief.....and plausibility.

So, did God also fire the gun that shot the bullet, so he could push boy out of the way, so the story could be told......

No bullet, no story.

Did that work?.....That is what I got out of it.

It still would hold no relevance as to what the boy experienced. God would not need to fire the bullet in order to have "pushed" the child out of the way.

Obviously though, if there is no bullet, then there is no story. I can certainly agree with that. ;)

Edited by Angel Left Wing

If this close call leads him to believe he has some purpose in life and he goes on to do good things, who cares what he believes. If he honestly believes that a god is looking out for him, perhaps he'll try to live his life in such a way to say thanks for the supposed intervention.

Just thinking positive. :)

If this close call leads him to believe he has some purpose in life and he goes on to do good things, who cares what he believes. If he honestly believes that a god is looking out for him, perhaps he'll try to live his life in such a way to say thanks for the supposed intervention.

Just thinking positive. :)

If he grows up to be rapist murdereer, than that bullet should have hit him.......

Just sayin " :blush:

Hopefully what you said happens though......

It still would hold no relevance as to what the boy experienced. God would not need to fire the bullet in order to have "pushed" the child out of the way.

Obviously though, if there is no bullet, then there is no story. I can certainly agree with that. ;)

I would have to wonder what would make this boy more important than the millions of other innocent people that have been killed by guns or any other types of weapons (not going on a gun rant here).

Furthermore why wouldn't god have stopped the weapon from firing into this boys house, or even have prevented mankind from developing weapons in the first place?

I'm not saying that the boy doesn't honestly believe that god intervened, and if that becomes something positive for him, then great........I just think the boy should at least entertain other ideas as to why he lived and not do the old "god did it".

His interpretation could be his way to cope and process this horrible experience which could lead to PTSD in many instances. Who knows if he has any other rituals (prayer is one), counseling, or therapy to help him cope better but that is a start.

Edited by Unseelie

Um, no; God did not save him, and I believe that it is unhealthy of him to possess this train of thought. What saved him was adrenaline, and the primal instinct of self-preservation. Nothing more, nothing less. :tu:

Um, no; God did not save him, and I believe that it is unhealthy of him to possess this train of thought. What saved him was adrenaline, and the primal instinct of self-preservation. Nothing more, nothing less. :tu:

Hi Alienated Being -- this is what is reported:

Preston Stevens says he felt some sort of force push him
before
the bullet went through his Rajon Rondo jersey ...

What are your grounds for over-riding that report, by writing: "What saved him was adrenaline, and the primal instinct of self-preservation."? How was the boy to know about the trajectory of the bullet? Or, even to "know/perceive" that there was going to be a bullet coming his way?

I'm curious as to your logic, apart from dismissing "intervention",

Karlis

I don't know if it was God, we have nothing to prove it and it can seem a bit arrogant for me to think YES it was God... and not care about the stray bullets that kill other kids and babies over time in gang lands and areas like them...I am sure it has happened.. So why would I assume that God would not save the rest and just one boy?

So I have to think of another possible conclusion .......Either the boy just got lucky? OR he has his own guardian angel / past dead relative looking out for him.. Who knows?

All I can say is....If this was my kid..I wouldn't care who pushed him..as long as he is ok I would be thankful enough for that ....

Glad the kid was ok...don't matter what he thinks saved him, he is just a child.. Main thing is he is safe

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Funny how anything pertaining to someone thanking god turns into a religious debate....

Numerous athletes thank god for being where they are, playing how they play, just getting the oppurtunity.

Same for musicians, people saved from disasters, etc....

I think we should take the " god " out of it, and discuss if it was fate, karma, hallucination, etc...

For above scenarios, and others, does it really matter whom we thank, or claim saved us, or put us where we are?.......As long as we are not pushing it onto someone else?

Seriously, what about all of the innocents who have been killed by bullets? Was God too busy to save them, or did God willingly let them die? Is it fair to assume that God is responsible for all of the wonderful things, but none of the tragedies? Is there any sense to be found in this?

The headline of the HP story claims that the boy said that the bullet missed him because God intervened. That's an odd way for a nine year-old to speak, don't you think?

There is no such direct quote in the story. "'It was like God' pushed him." Like? As in "as if?" as in "a figurative expression immediately follows?"

I checked the orignal WHDH story upon which the Huffer relied. It gives the full quote as

"It was like God pushed me back,” he said.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/boston/12007246299998/bullet-pierces-boy-s-jersey-in-dorchester-close-call/

Like, as in "as if" it was. There is no indication that the boy said anything else about God.

Preston Stevens, 9, Says Stray Bullet Missed Him...

In fact, the boy never said the bullet missed him. It didn't. He has two holes in his Celtics jersey. He reports on camera that he felt the impact on his belly. He was hit, he wasn't injured.

Preston Stevens, 9, Says Stray Bullet Missed Him Because (whatever) Intervened

The boy never said that changing his position had any effect on the outcome of the incident. He involuntarily and irresistably retreated when he felt the impact. The bullet was most likely already in his bedroom wall by the time he actually moved, and he never said otherwise.

Full marks to Preston for finding an effective and direct way of expressing in words what the private and unshared expereince of the irresistable impulse felt like. Full marks also for plainly labeling his expression as figurative.

Does the Huffington Post headline writer not speak English or something?

Your logic makes no sense. The kid did not know that someone would be firing a bullet through his house and just 'happen' to move out of the way out of instict etc. Your answer is toO simplistic. I would need more proof about the conclusion you came to that it was some sort of 'self-preservation'.If he had even a small inkling of the bullet that might hit him, why would he go inside to get his glasses etc. just so he could dodge it.