Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Earth's helium reserves will run out within

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,654 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 23 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

www.dailymail.co.uk said:

It is more commonly known as the gas that fills cheap party balloons and makes your voice squeak if you inhale it.

But helium is actually a precious resource that is being squandered with Earth's reserves of it due to run out within 25 to 30 years, experts have warned.

Earth’s resources of helium are being depleted at an astonishing rate, an effect which will spell disaster for hospitals which use it to cool MRI scanners.

The world's biggest store of helium - the most commonly used inert gas - lies in a disused airfield in Amarillo, Texas, and is being sold off far too cheaply.

But in 1996, the US government passed a law which states that the facility - the US National Helium Reserve - must be completely sold off by 2015 to recoup the price of installing it.

This means that the helium, a non-renewable gas, is being quickly sold off at increasingly cheap prices, making it uneconomical to recycle.

Nasa uses the gas to clean its rockets of fuel while liquid helium is used to cool nuclear reactors and space telescopes.

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    crystal sage

crystal sage

Telekinetic

• 7,367 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

All the more reason to push the 'space programs'

I hope this becomes a United Effort with the best talents / resources of the world combining all their talents ..  that the nations keeping their egos at bay.. and becoming Earth Proud.. rather than Nation Proud.

It is time for the world to grow up and realize the only way to properly colonize other worlds and make this great leap , is to do it as a United effort...  then there would be no added problems of sobotage...rushing into things  before all is ready just to beat the others.. and other childish games
.. we need to view all nations on earth as family.. ones we can rely on to help out whenever.. where ever.. how ever...
who all want each other to do well.
Have these space missions as Earth missions...

NASA plans to have a permanent moon base by 2024, but America is not the only nation with plans for a moon base. China, India, the European Space Agency, and at least one Russian corporation, Energia, have visions of building manned lunar bases post-2020.

Mining the moon for helium-3 has been discussed widely in space circles and international space conferences. Both China and Russia have stated their nations' interest in helium-3.

"We will provide the most reliable report on helium-3 to mankind," Ouyang Ziyuan, the chief scientist of China's lunar program, told a Chinese newspaper. "Whoever first conquers the moon will benefit first."

Read More http://www.wired.com...6#ixzz0xT2b5kUI

Russia is planning to mine a rare fuel on the moon by 2020 with a permanent base and a heavy-cargo transport link, a Russian space official said Wednesday.
"We are planning to build a permanent base on the moon by 2015 and by 2020 we can begin the industrial-scale delivery... of the rare isotope Helium-3," Nikolai Sevastyanov, head of the Energia space corporation, was quoted by Itar-Tass news agency as saying at an academic conference.

My link
My link

Edited by crystal sage, 23 August 2010 - 09:49 PM.

#3    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,409 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 24 August 2010 - 01:07 PM

oh, dear were running out of helium, what are the Bee Gees going to do.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#4    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,101 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:31 PM

I've know this for years.  If you're going to buy stock, buy it in a helium company.  We can produce helium, however it is very costly and invovles splitting atoms...sound familiar?  :P

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#5    olympic1

olympic1

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 247 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 03:35 PM

this isanother lie to frighten ppl into submission

#6    msmike1

msmike1

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:05 PM

Now this sucks. Out of all the depressing things that have come out lately this is the worst. I mean ****, no more floating balloons, no more getting drunk sucking up as much helium as possible and singing staying alive at the top of your lungs? Crap!

Mike

#7    Jaygatz

Jaygatz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 100 posts

• I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 05:56 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 24 August 2010 - 01:07 PM, said:

oh, dear were running out of helium, what are the Bee Gees going to do.

damn dood I about spit my tea all over the keyboard.  LOL

#8    GreyWeather

GreyWeather

噢,这真是个快乐

• 6,407 posts

• If at first you don't succeed... cheat.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 06:46 PM

I thought Crude Oil was meant to run out in the late 90's as well?

Posted Image

If nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do. The smallest act of kindness can be the greatest thing in the world.

#9    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 17,228 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 07:10 PM

How exactly is it being used up? Unless it is escaping into space, it is still here. It does not react into other substances. Eventually it will be cost effective to recycle or capture it from the atmosphere. Supply and demand will set what it costs, but the supply will not run out anytime soon.

It is not like petroleum that needs to be checmically altered and burned to use.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#10    Mac E

Mac E

Mass Confuser

• 2,101 posts

• If you can't convince them, confuse them.

Posted 24 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 24 August 2010 - 07:10 PM, said:

How exactly is it being used up? Unless it is escaping into space, it is still here. It does not react into other substances. Eventually it will be cost effective to recycle or capture it from the atmosphere. Supply and demand will set what it costs, but the supply will not run out anytime soon.

It is not like petroleum that needs to be checmically altered and burned to use.

Um, yeah, it does escape into space.  It is one of the properties of Helium since it is one of the lightest elements in the periodic table. I'm sure at some point we will be able to harness some being emitted from the sun.  Maybe in the next millenia or two.

In the beginning there were only probabilities. The universe could only come into existence if someone observed it. It does not matter that the observers turned up several billion years later. The universe exists because we are aware of it.

Martin Rees (1942) – Astrophysicist

#11    The Unseen

The Unseen

Poltergeist

• 2,774 posts

• Whats out there?

Posted 24 August 2010 - 10:20 PM

Who cares.Wont the world end in 2012?LOL.

#12    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsafe at Any Speed

• 24,111 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:31 AM

Well, someone must have miscalculated badly, because according to teh Wikilypedia,  Next to hydrogen, it is the second most abundant element in the universe, and accounts for 24% of the elemental mass of our galaxy.

So if humanity really can't work out how to obtain the stuff in quanitity, I really think they ought to start working out a way, don't you.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#13    socrates.junior

socrates.junior

Psychic Spy

• 1,183 posts

• Nothing is worse than active ignorance. - Goethe

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

View Postolympic1, on 24 August 2010 - 03:35 PM, said:

this isanother lie to frighten ppl into submission

I don't exactly see how anyone would be cowed by a lack of helium...maybe those who desperately crave high, squeaky voices? I guess the government would have them over a barrel.

I love argument, I love debate. I don't expect anyone to just sit there and agree with me, that's not their job. -Margaret Thatcher

#14    Moonie2012

Moonie2012

Alien Abducter

• Banned
  • 4,913 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

An obvious question needs to be asked -

Where the hell did they get the initial supply from, and why can't they get more?

#15    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,217 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:31 PM

View PostMoonie2012, on 25 August 2010 - 06:24 PM, said:

An obvious question needs to be asked -

Where the hell did they get the initial supply from, and why can't they get more?

From the gas and dust cloud of which the earth condensed. To do it again we would have to start a new Big Bang.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users