Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Tesla car doors can be hacked

tesla hacked car

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,156 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:27 PM

Tesla car doors can be hacked - by using the same run-of-the-mill techniques they use to crack open computers.

That's according to security researcher Nitesh Dhanjani, who spoke about his findings at a recent hacker conference in Singapore. All it takes is cracking a six-character password, considered low-hanging fruit in the cyber security world.

And if it can happen to a Tesla (TSLA), other cars may also be susceptible. After all, many modern cars made by others like Ford (F, Fortune 500) and Toyota (TM) can also be controlled via computer and mobile phone apps and come equipped with wireless connections that tap into Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or cell phone networks.
"We now have ways of accessing our cars we never did before, and consumers aren't quite aware of that. Hackers will try to take advantage of that lack of awareness," said Erik Cabetas, managing partner at the consulting firm Include Security.
Dhanjani said today's cars should be held to a higher security standard than the average laptop. Not only are they more expensive, but losing control of a car can put lives in danger.

READ MORE

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#2    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,442 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:53 PM

Anything can be hacked according to my son's friend (who has a Masters degree in Information Technology).

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

Posted Image

#3    MissJatti

MissJatti

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,359 posts

• There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:18 PM

i'm hacking into this car, so i can have an unofficial test drive

Posted Image

#4    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,156 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:58 PM

View PostLilly, on 01 April 2014 - 04:53 PM, said:

Anything can be hacked according to my son's friend (who has a Masters degree in Information Technology).
The fact that their account control website doesn't have any 'brute force' hacking protection on the main account password is kind of scary. That would definitely make me think twice about the rest of their quality control even if their vehicle does have a cool name.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#5    The Id3al Experience

The Id3al Experience

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

• "Live with cause and leave results to the great law of the universe, passing each day in peaceful contemplation"

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:38 PM

Correct Anything can be hacked with enough knowledge about what you are hacking... Not that I know or anything.. a little bird told me

Posted Image

#6    _Only

_Only

• 6,634 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:56 PM

Posted Image

They'll just have to step up some more secure, possibly creative, technology. Someone did not set the bar very high.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#7    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

I tend to think the chances of a punk on the street looking to jack a car having a slim jim (or a wrench), as opposed to a cryptography setup (and the knowledge to work it), to be quite high.

#8    aquatus1

aquatus1

Forum Divinity

• 19,484 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Shoot, I can't remember the name of the movie that Rifftrax did a riff on, but Hollywood shares a similar impression.

There was a chase scene where they try to cut the guy off by calling their tech guy and telling him to hack into the bridge and raise it.  Kevin Murphy comments:

"Okay, let me see, hacking, hacking, Nope, sorry, failed, because you can't hack into a bridge."

Also tagged with tesla, hacked, car

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users