Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is it time to return to the Moon?

moon lunar surface lunar exploration manned

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,887 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

Is it time to return to the Moon?

phys.org said:

Humans havenít set foot on the Moon -- or any other world outside of our own, for that matter -- since Cernan and Schmitt departed the lunar surface on December 14, 1972. That will make 40 years on that date this coming December. And despite dreams of moon bases and lunar colonies, there hasnít even been a controlled landing there since the Soviet Luna 24 sample return mission in 1976 (not including impacted probes.) So in light of the challenges and costs of such an endeavor, is there any real value in a return to the Moon?

Some scientists are saying yes.

Researchers from the UK, Germany and The Netherlands have submitted a paper to the journal Planetary and Space Science outlining the scientific importance of future lunar surface missions. Led by Ian A. Crawford from Londonís Birkbeck College, the paper especially focuses on the value of the Moon in the study of our own planet and its formation, the development of the Earth-Moon system as well as other rocky worlds and even its potential contribution in life science and medicinal research.

Even though some research on the lunar surface may be able to be performed by robotic missions, Crawford et al. ultimately believe that ďaddressing them satisfactorily will require an end to the 40-year hiatus of lunar surface exploration.Ē

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,345 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:01 PM

My own opinion... way past time...

#3    Jeffertonturner

Jeffertonturner

Hero Squad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

• I may not be the smartest, or the best looking, or the most successful but...what was I saying? I'm depressed.

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:20 PM

I really don't see the point in going back to the moon.

Now Mars on the other hand... :)

~Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while -and do whatever you want all the time -you can miss it.~

#4    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,982 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:22 PM

Maybe humans could build a prison on the moon.

#5    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 12,676 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:33 PM

If we're ever going to figure out how to live off of the earth there is no better place to figure out how than the moon.

Rlyeh, how much money do you think it would cost to send a prisoner to the moon?

#6    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,402 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:00 PM

Yeah, I think a moon base is a natural extension to space colonization.
Wish I were young enough to witness, or perhaps even participate in, some of the exciting space ventures of the future.

As far as some Moon based "penal" colony goes, that would be very expensive as said In the previous post.
One could, however, put prisons on Antartica or deep underneath the middle of our ocean's, but that's a whole other topic of course.

Edited by pallidin, 15 June 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#7    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Omnipotent Entity

• 8,982 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

View PostOverSword, on 15 June 2012 - 05:33 PM, said:

Rlyeh, how much money do you think it would cost to send a prisoner to the moon?
Well more if they are expected to survive the trip. A dump, or mass grave would have been a better term.

#8    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,887 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:53 PM

This topic has nothing to do with penal systems. Please stay on topic. Thank you.

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#9    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

I've never understood why the space exploration isn't as important as it should be anymore. We keep hearing of things like Global warming, solar flares, meteors, other natural disasters that could wipe out the human race in the blink of an eye nd population growth which is a big concern. Surely we owe it to the human race as a whole to work out how to populate the stars. Shift loads of people and give the poor earth a bit of a break as well form being crammed with humans.

Of course this won't happen because of the greed int he world and the fact the goverments aren't evolved enough yet to realise world peace is the key to the human races survival and advancement.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#10    skookum

skookum

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

I think there are loads of scientific reasons why more research is necessary with our moon.  However whether it should be manned missions or just robotic is another matter.  The shear cost of manned flight is probably unobtainable in the present economic climate.  I personally think that most of the experiments could be carried out robotically at a fraction of the cost.

Posted Image

#11    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,402 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:38 PM

I just hope that, when we do go back to the moon, we don't mine it's resources to the point of altering it's tidal influence here on Earth.
Even still, I am all for going back to the moon, setting up a base, and learning from that exposure for further manned expeditions elsewhere.

#12    Hazzard

Hazzard

Stellar Black Hole

• 11,757 posts

• Being skeptical of the paranormal is a good thing.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 02:29 PM

I think that it would be awesome if we wnt back to the moon,... but, I was kinda hoping for Mars.

#13    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 16 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

To costly to tax payers and a waste of our money.  Man can't even solve the problems in this world, here on earth...and, we want to reach for the moon.
Man has managed to destroy our own natural resources here on our planet...so why should they go to the moon to continue this destruction. This research is all done at the expense of the people and will probably benefit those few elite who hold power over the rest. Just my take on it.

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#14    Cyaneyed

Cyaneyed

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

• Yeah, then you woke up with your head in your cornflakes.

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

Haven't you been listening to Richard hoagland? We've been there living in glass structures (totally safe on a lunar surface right) and playing with stargates and jumpgates since the sixties. Hoagland is a very reputable man who used to work for NASA.

Ahem.

#15    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 31,887 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 16 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

I try very hard not to listen to Richard Hoagland. I have an allergy to male bovine waste products.

Posted Image
Click on button

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users