Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human brain uploads possible by 2045 ?

Saru

Google's chief engineer believes it will be possible to become digitally immortal within 30 years.

During a conference in New York City last week, the company’s director of engineering said that the growth of biotechnology is so quickly paced that he predicts our lives will be drastically different in just a few decades.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Google's chief engineer believes it will be possible to become digitally immortal within 30 years.

PS9

What about our consciousness? I mean, just because I put all my personal info into a computer doesn't mean it will be a conscious *me*. Also, there's just so much that could go so wrong with this kind of thing. Personally, I'm glad I'm old and won't be around in 30-40 years. Good luck to you young folks....sounds like one Hell of a 'Brave New World' IMO.

• Like 4

What about our consciousness? I mean, just because I put all my personal info into a computer doesn't mean it will be a conscious *me*. Also, there's just so much that could go so wrong with this kind of thing. Personally, I'm glad I'm old and won't be around in 30-40 years. Good luck to you young folks....sounds like one Hell of a 'Brave New World' IMO.

Scientifically speaking if its its an exact copy of your brain it will have all your experiences and memories and therefore will be a conscious *you.* A very confused you however when "your" explained that you are a machine and your entre life was someone elses...

Scientifically speaking if its its an exact copy of your brain it will have all your experiences and memories and therefore will be a conscious *you.* A very confused you however when "your" explained that you are a machine and your entre life was someone elses...

Why would you be confused if you give permission to be digitalized?

You won't turn into some sort of robocop lol...cmon...

But, the machine still would not be me. Oh, it might think it was me, however the biological me would still die. And what about emotions, real feelings...not just definitions of what feelings entail, what happens there? I call "BS" on being able to actually transfer all that a person is into a computer...I don't think it's possible.

• Like 5

scientifically speaking eh? I beg to differ. If you take a persons 'real brain' out of their heads, you have the "exact brain" of that person, not an exact copy. But you cannot make it work, you cannot talk to it, and it wont respond. The brain and the body work together, in fact the majority of our brain is there only to make the body work.

One of my cd's happens to be Elvis, captured forever on disc - therfore immortal, , but its not HIM, its just a recording, and thats the best they can hope to achieve with their tech.

Consciousness is a concept that causes all kinds of probs for science and medicine, and its hard to pinpoint, see this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consciousness#The_validity_of_the_concept

Awww,I had hoped it meant you could upload stuff to your brain . Like a language .

Being immediately fluent would be awesome .

• Like 3

Someone want to know what you know, just download it. There will be no secrets, no more water boarding or reading your emails. The ultimate spying tool.

Sounds more like something for the family . Upload mom to the microwave,and chat with her while cooking dinner.

It's interesting ,but creepy

• Like 2

But will it be "you" or simply a digital copy of your mind!?

So, one computer virus could kill the virtual "you." No, thanks. I only want to die once this time around.

This is starting to become eerily similar to the plot of the game Remember Me.

Edited by Skeptic Chicken

Children would be able to be children and not have to go to school. Also, no one could one-up me by being able to speak a language I can't.

One of my cd's happens to be Elvis, captured forever on disc - therfore immortal, , but its not HIM, its just a recording, and thats the best they can hope to achieve with their tech.

Consciousness is a concept that causes all kinds of probs for science and medicine, and its hard to pinpoint, see this

https://en.wikipedia..._of_the_concept

Reminds me of the old "Is it live or Memorex?' commercials.

• Like 1

The problem I foresee is one that goes on right now... people with 4, 6, 10 facebook accounts, wanting 5, 10, 20 brain clones of themselves out there running around. You'd get some idiots out there making a copy of themselves every day and sending it out into the world to be a drain of resources to everyone else. I really doubt that the best and brightest will spam the internet with thousands of copies of themselves, yet just about every teenager will.

It will need to be policed.......... sadly... :cry:

• Like 1

Now tell me.Who really wants to live beyond a normal lifespan? If you succeed,then you outlive your friends,family etc.Upon the death of my father,I realized that after his passing,knowing that he lived that extra few years longer than others,he also suffered those extra years longer suffering until the end.He lived a very healthy life as a non smoker & drinker.His later life was not what anyone would want to live,given the restrictions of the onset of blindness,his having to wear a catheter etc. & his loss of his use of his legs.I felt for Dad.I knew that he deserved better than that.But when your time draws near,you do not know what luxuries you are allowed.It hurt to see him suffer.I asked God why? I knew that Adam,the first man lived some 930 years.How did he fair in his last few years? I don't know.The first man on Earth must also have had to suffer the degradation from his healthy manhood to his decrease of activity until his end.How long would his family have been made to suffer until his demise?It must have been more prolonged & agonising.With the prolonged death of our father, We,our family,all had to go through it.It hurt so bad.Dad was a strong & active man.He went to work & never complained.He did the right thing always.Then his decline reminded us of how human we all were.My Dad was the most understanding man on Earth.He was a friend to everyone.He had a sense of humour that I would also like to accept that I have inherited.He looked after all his girls after never having the son that he wanted,but still,his girls were his prized children.He never had the son that he wanted,but,he always loved & cared for his girls.He wanted us all to have good & promising lives.He helped me when I went through my divorce,he was there,& he always gave me good advice.I miss him so much now!He was my best friend!He loved me so much.That is what I think a Father is really meant to be like.He loved me & was proud of me no matter what.A true father in the sense.When his death came,I was in a sense of shock & with a questioning of my beliefs. Now you are getting to the subject of immortality.When everyone else around you is gone,where do you go?Who wants to live beyond the normal lifespan of everyone that you know around you with the fear of death?Who wants to live in this physical world without God,beyond the latest expected lifespan alone without the very family members that encourage your existence? Whatever,who in their right mind would want to try to avoid death in this world and upload your brain into a robotic existence,an existence in a robotic simulation that extends to many years beyond normal human experience that is beyond normality?

Edited by GirlfromOz
  • Like 1

If everyone could do it, you'd not be alone for long.

Plus, you could remain with your decendents/family.

Don't you think your Father would like to see what you make of yourself, and your kids, and grandkids and even further on??? Instead of a vase with ashes in it, or a grave in a field, you'd have Dad backed up on a Flash Drive and ready to give wisdom or to listen to what eveyone has been doing and express his Pride, or Hope for everyone.

I suppose it would work better it there were true holographic projects so people could feel they are talking to a living image, rather then just a program in the computer.

• Like 2

This idea would be nice for exotic vacations. For instance, we could have a robot probe on any planet or planet's moon and transmit the digital information that is your brain into the robot's computer, and you could experience being on that planet or moon.

As someone here said, the digital copy of your brain would be "you", but it would be a separate "you" from your biological brain, like a digital clone. When your biological brain is old and dies, "you" would continue on as the digital copy, but the biological "you" would be dead. So the biological "you" would never experience the digital copy.

From the biological standpoint, what would be the purpose or point of creating a digital copy of yourself?

• Like 4

There could be a market for robots (more like sexbots) with brain uploads of celebrities.

• Like 1

I think this is possible. But their date 2045 seems alittel too ambitious

• Like 1

This idea would be nice for exotic vacations. For instance, we could have a robot probe on any planet or planet's moon and transmit the digital information that is your brain into the robot's computer, and you could experience being on that planet or moon.

As someone here said, the digital copy of your brain would be "you", but it would be a separate "you" from your biological brain, like a digital clone. When your biological brain is old and dies, "you" would continue on as the digital copy, but the biological "you" would be dead. So the biological "you" would never experience the digital copy.

From the biological standpoint, what would be the purpose or point of creating a digital copy of yourself?

It appeals to (some) peoples vanity, like they imagine someone might want to check them out in future. Similar psychology exists on facebook where people share their photos from birth to present, while lovingly writing down what books and films and music they like, what they ate for breakfast, and how pished off they are at work. that kind of thing.

There is no existing model which demonstrates that the diffuse and ephemeral reality we call "consciousness" can be detected, much less digitally stored for posterity. Said another way, there is no evidence that electronic preservation of the human brain will--or can--harness the conscious life of a subject, sometimes referred to in the vernacular as that person's "individuality," "identity," "essence" or even "spirit." Mind and consciousness are related; they are not identical.

Move over Mary Shelley, James Whale, Boris Karloff and Colin Clive: Here comes another generation of researchers who think they know what they're doing, another failure-in-the-making to cheat Death and play God.

Come on seriously what else would the bigger picture do with the unlimited stock video storage.

At first I thought "Cool! it'll be like in the Matrix" no more school, but then I realized that would be downloading into the brain. They're talking about uploading into an electronic device so I guess that's more like "Surrogates", so you wouldn't know anything more, just have another body. I like the downloading idea better.

Number 12 Looks Just Like You!