Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 1 votes

Worst Thing a Teacher Ever Said to You?

teacher worst thing education

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,156 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

Tuesday was National Teacher Day, and in honor of the occasion, the National Education Association and other groups encouraged people to thank educators. They suggested you update your Facebook profile to express your appreciation and use the hashtag #ThankATeacher on Twitter.

Now that we’ve thanked the good teachers, it’s time to recognize the bad ones. The majority of teachers may be generous, dedicated, inspirational, and kind. But in their midst are some of the most unpleasant characters you encountered in your childhood. Remember them? We sure do. Here are some of the most outrageous things teachers once said to us at Slate.

William Dobson: My family had recently moved to South Carolina from "up north," and I had a hard time understanding my teachers' accents. Early in the school year, my second grade teacher asked me to lead the class out to recess. I stood up and the class filed in line behind me at the door. Then she asked me to take the class to "down yonder hill." I had never heard this phrase. I thought "down yonder hill" must be the proper name of a place, not a direction. I stood there, immobile. She said it louder. Then louder. Finally: "What are you, stupid? Get to the back of the line." It was that moment that I decided, My parents can choose to live here, but I will never adopt a southern accent.

READ MORE

I was almost always the shortest kid in school. I can't remember exact phrases, but most of my teachers had special nicknames for my vertically challenged status.

So, what's the worst thing a teacher has ever said to you?

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#2    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 8,056 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

'you can be anything you want to be .... '

I replied 'you hardly even know me .... '

the teach hated me for the rest of the semester ... I played Pink's famous tune loud and proud after every one of her class ... :lol:

~

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

~

#3    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:55 PM

I had a French teacher ,in junior high school ,who always wore these bizarre brassiers ,where ...you could see all her business thru her shirt. Mind you ,this was the early 80s . When she would get mad at the class,she would say to us :
"You're all b-a-s-t-a-r-*-s ! Bastar*s !

Miss me?

#4    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 09 May 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I had a French teacher ,in junior high school ,who always wore these bizarre brassiers ,where ...you could see all her business thru her shirt. Mind you ,this was the early 80s . When she would get mad at the class,she would say to us :
"You're all b-a-s-t-a-r-*-s ! Bastar*s !

LOL I love that!!!! I know many a teacher who felt that way sometimes.

#5    Daughter of the Nine Moons

Daughter of the Nine Moons

☆。Fearstriker Do'Teh 。☆

• 14,498 posts

• ☆彡

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

"I don't know what you girls are doing in my class, girls can't do math" - Mr Jones

One does not simply walk into Mordor.

#6    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,759 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:47 PM

I had a Speech/Debate teacher my Senior year, who I was always "butting heads with" as the saying goes...

It wasn't one thing she said, it was the "tone" and constant politicalization (if that's a word) of everything...
One day during a "debate" with another classmate I made a comment about there being nothing wrong with being "rich" (she was very anti-"wealthy" people - and this was  1971)...
She immediately butted into the formal debate and said "Money doesn't buy happiness!"
to which I replied "You're right... But it rents it, and if you can rent it for long enough, it dosen't matter..."
Totally shut her up...
To her credit, as many times as we argued (about everything), she gave me the highest grade in the class...

#7    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:48 PM

I actually can't think of anything bad a Teacher said to me. I had a teacher who would jam her thumb between your should blades, I was about 8 at the time. lol She retired after we had her, i think it was forced. lol

I had a teacher in my last year at primary school/junior who was a complete power mad Dragon. She told us she was being hard on us to prepare us for secondary school/High school. Which was utter rubbish as not 1 teacher in my secondary school was as horrible as her. lol She hated me because I had proven her wrong about somehting as well. So she was extra horrible to me. lol

My Technological studies teacher would threatened to rip our arms off and beat us with the soggy bit. But he was joking obviously. lol

View PostDaughter of the Nine Moons, on 09 May 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

"I don't know what you girls are doing in my class, girls can't do math" - Mr Jones

WOW.......  LOL That's insane, I bet there has been some racist ones along those lines as well.

Edited by Coffey, 09 May 2013 - 02:50 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

#8    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,405 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:05 PM

This is not something a teacher said, but much worse; she was seriously obese and we had overflow classrooms without air con.  She would periodically pull out a handkerchief and wipe the sweat from under her breasts, sticking her arm in her blouse in order to do it.  It was gross.

#9    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,637 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:15 PM

Not long after I started primary school our class teacher gave us a written test. Well it ended up that there was only two of us left to finish, prior to this I'd been humming and hawing over the answer to one last question. Then I saw the other girl who was sitting at a desk in the next row write something down and so I thought I'd better just finish too as I'd be the last to finish, so I wrote down the answer that had been going through my head.

The next thing the teacher looks at both our papers and because I'd written down the same answer as the other girl the teacher turned to me and said  "you copied her",  which I most certainly hadn't but she didn't listen to me when I told her that and I was sent to the headmaster's room for 'cheating'.

To this day I've never forgotten that. I did NOT see what the other girl wrote down and it was so unfair being accused of something I didn't do. It was a horrible feeling.

Posted Image

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 09 May 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

LOL I love that!!!! I know many a teacher who felt that way sometimes.
It was also how she said it. So its impossible to forget . Lol

Miss me?

#11    S2F

S2F

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,738 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:23 PM

One time a teacher had the audacity to cheerily say "Good Morning!" when I first got to class. It was entirely too early to be chipper. It haunts me to this day...

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#12    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 7,518 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Can`t remember what they said, cos I rarely listened, but my old geography teacher used to throw the chalk board rubber at us, we use to sit at the back of the class, it was hilarious watching all the heads duck when he looked over to us with his stern eyes cos they all knew what was going to happen.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#13    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Honestly most of the ick between me and teachers was more my fault and their reaction than anything else. I was a too knowledgeable and mouthy jerk, and I know it.

Just a couple random icks from school that weren't directed at me personally.
First day of college English, teachers first announcement to the class was "Don't bother with writers like Shakespeare and Chaucer. No one writes or reads that anymore, it's just not understandable. We'll be using what real people like you read in this class." Then she held up couple celebrity tabloids and beauty magazines. I still can't believe that crap came out of her mouth. And she was serious.
In middle school there was  a teachers assistant who had almost grossly long fingernails. Gum was not tolerated in class and the assistant would actually stick her finger into a kids mouth and do a gum sweep if she really thought they were chewing gum.
Had a sociology teacher in high school that only lasted one school year. He liked to put the cheerleaders and gals that tended to wear shorter skirts in the front of the class and made no bones as to why. And he would pick kids from the class for, um, racial tension issues, then use the gross terminology to them. In a stunning racist way that I'm not sure I can describe without it sparking fury in this thread.

#14    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:46 PM

Believe it or not I was a very quiet student all through school and so never had any confrontations with my teachers except once.

It was on an overseas class trip. I had been a “naughty” girl. I thought I’d gotten a way with my behavior, but I apparently I hadn’t. So while we were in Africa I waded in the Strait of Gibraltar and afterward a couple of my toes went numb.

As our teacher was getting on the elevator at our hotel, I told her about it. “The only thing I know that would do that is something poisonous.” And the elevators doors shut…She was not happy with me.

She also choose to lecture me on the flight home in front of a plane full of people, to humiliate me. I take full responsibility for my behavior, but she acted like a vengeful child, not an adult, imo.

#15    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

dimple

• 10,116 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:00 PM

I can't even type what was said to me ..... I'd get banned! I wasn't guilty of what I was being accused of .......  jeez! I didn't even understand what she was talking about at the time. It dawned on me several days later. Nearly 50 years on I still feel sick and shocked thinking about it.

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users