Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Billionaire to Rebuild the 'Titanic!

Yamato

An Australian tycoon is building an exact replica of the ill-fated 'Titanic.' They'll even sail the same doomed 1912 route. What Could Go Wrong?

NEW YORK — What could possibly go wrong?

An Australian billionaire is getting ready to build a new version of the Titanic that could set sail in late 2016.

Clive Palmer unveiled blueprints for the famously doomed ship's namesake Tuesday at the Intrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum in New York. He said construction is scheduled to start soon in China.

Palmer said 40,000 people have expressed interest in tickets for the maiden voyage, taking the original course from Southampton, England, to New York. He said people are inspired by his quest to replicate one of the most famous vessels in history.

http://xfinity.comca...itanic.Replica/

Edited by Still Waters
Shortened amount of copied text
  • Like 1

I want some disgruntled former worker of his to be all 'I'll get him!' and then carve a iceberg or pilot one(:3) and ram it into the new ship.

I heard about that somewhere before. If it did ever come to pass, it would be the first ever really big cruise ship ever built in China, I believe. They turn out cargo ships by the dozen, but I do wonder if this might be a bit of an over-ambitious step. Though it would be nice to see a ship that didn't look like a floating parking garage or block of holiday apartments, it dioes rather look as if it's going to have "tawdry" stamped all over it, doesn't it.

• Like 2

CHINA????? if he wants to do it right, do it in Belfast, or has the BILLIONAIRE got a cheap rate off the Chinese?

I can see it now, replica mini Titanics souvenirs for sale with made in China written on the bottom of it, just like the souvenirs for the LONDON olympics!!!

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

CHINA????? if he wants to do it right, do it in Belfast.

Sometimes cheaper is righter. I'm pretty sure this is one of those times.

No, I think this would have been a golden opportunity to give the Global Economy a good kick in the balls and begin to get back to a world where Cheap does not always rule. But this looks like it's going to be tacky, tacky, tacky, so China probably is the right place for it.

• Like 4

Yes, I am sure the BILLIONAIRE needs to get a cheaper rate, thats probably why he is a BILLIONAIRE. Does he even know where it was build? probably does not even care!!

• Like 1

This guy probably owns the sweatshop boat yard where they're building it so he can borrow the money from himself and make it all back selling tickets.

• Like 2

I guess Australia's economy is doing so well no one there needs the jobs its would bring. Maybe the Aussies should seize his bank accounts.

• Like 3

I guess Australia's economy is doing so well no one there needs the jobs its would bring. Maybe the Aussies should seize his bank accounts.

I doubt he even has his bank accounts there, they will be Swiss.

I wonder if the ticket prices will be the same as then too?

he has said:

"I want to spend the money I've got before I die," he said. "You might as well spend it, not leave it to the kids to spend, there will be enough left for them anyway."

So why skimp on it and not do it in his own country or in Ireland instead of helping out the Chinese?

Edited by freetoroam

Seem's like a disaster waiting to happen....

• Like 2

127673675.jpg

They do not mess about these Chinese, its ready!

• Like 3

It'll be A- okay if they follow these rules...

Don't have Capain Birdseye in charge.

You have to make sure the ship is watertight as a drum.

You have to make sure all the passengers have paid their life insurance claims.

You have to make sure there's plenty of lifeboats and binoculars.

You have to make sure there's no icebergs in the shipping forecast.

And you certainly can't have any " Ismay" types on the ships manifest.

The silly fool will only try to break the trans- pacific record.

Other than that it's ready to go for it's maiden voyage from Shanghai to San Franscisco.

Edited by Medium Brown

It'll be A- okay if they follow these rules...

Don't have Capain Birdseye in charge.

You have to make sure the ship is watertight as a drum.

You have to make sure all the passengers have paid their life insurance claims.

You have to make sure there's plenty of lifeboats and binoculars.

You have to make sure there's no icebergs in the shipping forecast.

And you certainly can't have any " Ismay" types on the ships manifest.

The silly fool will only try to break the trans- pacific record.

Other than that it's ready to go for it's maiden voyage from Shanghai to San Franscisco.

No, no. He wants an exact replica, probably even wants it to sink in the exact location as the original.
  • Like 2

No, no. He wants an exact replica, probably even wants it to sink in the exact location as the original.

If that's the case I can't see how he's going to transport the Titanic to Southampton.

He'll only have to re- assemble even if it's in bits on the Trans Siberian Express.

And besides if he wanted to commendate the original disaster he's a year out.

101 looks a bit odd but the Chinese do have a love affair with the number one.

So if he replicates the disaster two years later it will be the onset of World War three.

However they should get more people on the lifeboats if it's a Trans- Pacific route.

Tbh Dirk Pitt shouldn't have raised the Titanic in the first place.

I don't think this boat is seaworthy so it should be a floating museum piece like the Cutty Sark.

Unless the Chinese use it as their flagship for their upcoming invasion of Japan.

Edited by Medium Brown
  • Like 1

If that's the case I can't see how he's going to transport the Titanic to Southampton.

He'll only have to re- assemble even if it's in bits on the Trans Siberian Express.

And besides if he wanted to commendate the original disaster he's a year out.

101 looks a bit odd but the Chinese do have a love affair with the number one.

So if he replicates the disaster two years later it will be the onset of World War three.

However they should get more people on the lifeboats if it's a Trans- Pacific route.

Tbh Dirk Pitt shouldn't have raised the Titanic in the first place.

I don't think this boat is seaworthy so it should be a floating museum piece like the Cutty Sark.

Unless the Chinese use it as their flagship for their upcoming invasion of Japan.

I suppose he means the first commercial sailing from Southampton. I suppose the'd make a delivery voyage from China to England, which would at least test it out thoroughly. The question, though, is why, if he's a Billionaire for whom money is, clearly, no object, choose to do it as cheaply as possible, in a country with no history of building large passenger ships? I'm not necessarily saying that it would be unsafe; Chinese shipyards have produced hundreds of large cargo vessels, but this would surely have been, like I said, a golden opportunity to show what the "West" could do.

• Like 1

Like the Journalist says, it's easy to sneer in an amusing fashion at the childishness of the ridiculously rich, but, like thiose with ambitions for space travel that he mentions, they do actually have ideas, and actually get on and try to make these ideas happen, while Governments do nothing and have no vision or ambition at all.

No, I think this would have been a golden opportunity to give the Global Economy a good kick in the balls and begin to get back to a world where Cheap does not always rule. But this looks like it's going to be tacky, tacky, tacky, so China probably is the right place for it.

The price-quality relationship isn't as predictable as you'd like? Cheap doesn't always rule, I never would have impressed such an idea upon you. You can understand two different prices for the same work though right? Have you ever done business where you were responsible for getting competing quotes from vendors? Saving money doesn't mean "cheap". This could be a horrible investment given how antiquated the ship is going to be compared to its contemporaries. I don't blame even a crazy idea like this to materialize at the best possible price point. And that's presuming that someone in the "West" was even interested in the bidding.

How does it look tacky? It sounds like a faithful reproduction. And just because someone is a Billionaire doesn't mean that "money is clearly no object". Billionaires are often more careful with where they put their money than the poorer masses. It's more of an object to them than anyone.

127673675.jpg

They do not mess about these Chinese, its ready!

And it looks like its sinking already...

• Like 2

Made in China :td:

Bet it turns up wrong and wont go together like the instructions say !

TiP.

And they will probably have a few spare nuts and bolts left at the end in the bag with no idea where they should have gone lol.

• Like 1