Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Bio Station Alpha

• Please log in to reply
591 replies to this topic

#586    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,089 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:59 PM

My pleasure.  I enjoy messing around with stuff like this.

There's an absolutely amazing amount of Mars imagery available for public usage on those servers.  But like I said you'll need NASA's own NASAview software to make sense of the images and export them as readable images - and it's almost unusably unstable on Mac, I had to try several times to export the images I wanted before success because it was crashing every 30 seconds, perhaps the Windows version is much better.  Those who would accuse NASA of covering up findings from Mars should do their research properly and use the raw data that's publicly available instead of playing with a toy like Google Mars.

The lesson to be learned is don't use software like Google Earth for anything than other than entertainment and casual research.  And I say that as a Google Earth addict.

It's in NASA and ESA's interest to have clean unfiltered unprocessed raw data to look at and it's in Google's interest to have interesting looking imagery that is heavily compressed to stream it to your PC as fast as possible to make your exploration of Mars as fun and quick as possible.

edit: There's apparently a GIMP plugin for reading the .IMG files, but it appears to be Linux only.

Edited by Archimedes, 13 June 2011 - 08:00 PM.

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#587    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,615 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 13 June 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

Posted Image

Not really an exact match by a far stretch, but it's clear that if you take that Mars Express image with the glitch which is publicly available from one of their FTP server, and apply a bunch of post-processing filters like color correction, rotation, resampling and blurring, etc. you get something which gives the same overall effect.  The Google Earth imagery is very dirty and very noisy which makes me think that a lot of JPEG like compression was done to make the images stream much faster to your computer.   It could easily account for the artefacts surround BSA. JPEG compression at high levels adds all sorts of junk to photos.

It's still just a tiny bit droopy though, isn't it?

(the one on the right)

:P

Posted Image

#588    booNyzarC

booNyzarC

Forum Divinity

• Closed
  • 13,536 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:16 PM

View Postbee, on 13 June 2011 - 08:06 PM, said:

It's still just a tiny bit droopy though, isn't it?

(the one on the right)

:P
Are you saying that Bio Station Alpha needs a lil' more lead in its pencil? :lol:

#589    bee

bee

Forum Divinity

• 10,615 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:22 PM

View PostbooNyzarC, on 13 June 2011 - 08:16 PM, said:

Are you saying that Bio Station Alpha needs a lil' more lead in its pencil? :lol:

I might be..... ;)

graphene would be nice....I've heard it's good magical stuff...... :P

Posted Image

#590    DONTEATUS

DONTEATUS

Forum Divinity

• 17,817 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:28 PM

View Postbee, on 13 June 2011 - 08:22 PM, said:

I might be..... ;)

graphene would be nice....I've heard it's good magical stuff...... :P

This statement seems Frudeian in a way ?

Attached Files

This is a Work in Progress!

#591    itsnotoutthere

itsnotoutthere

Telekinetic

• 7,129 posts

• “Life is a whim of several billion cells to be you for a while”

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:50 PM

It's the Indians. I knew they had a space program, but i didn't know it was so advanced. :-

http://www.dailymail...Red-Planet.html

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.”
― Groucho Marx

#592    shiroblitz

shiroblitz

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 02:05 AM

space junk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users