Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Homebrewers?

orangepeaceful79

Just checking around to see if there were any Homebrewers around? I have been brewing as a hobby for about 3 years now and love it.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Insanity

• orangepeaceful79

• Bonecrusher

• Sakari

Just checking around to see if there were any Homebrewers around? I have been brewing as a hobby for about 3 years now and love it.

I did it for about 5 years, 1997ish to about 2003 ......Got to kegging it, and stopped......Gave it all away.

Maybe I will start again some day.

Sure smells good when starting the process ( sarcasm )......My wife hated me doing that in the kitchen, have a turkey deep fryer set up that worked great.....

I would like to. I have two friends that do though.

I did it for about 5 years, 1997ish to about 2003 ......Got to kegging it, and stopped......Gave it all away.

Maybe I will start again some day.

Sure smells good when starting the process ( sarcasm )......My wife hated me doing that in the kitchen, have a turkey deep fryer set up that worked great.....

What kinds of beers were your favorite to brew? I am a barley wine and ipa guy mostly but enjoy lots of styles. What made you stop brewing?

• 5 months later...

I am an experienced homebrewer soon to be professional brewer.

Just bottled 3 different batches yesterday, 15 gallons in total, and still have 2 other batches fermenting. Now that I've freed up those carboys, I am temtpted to fill them again this weekend.

I brew in the garage mostly, as I've been banned from the kitchen. Made a pumpkin ale once and had fresh pie pumpkins in the boil and the house smelled like spiced pumpkins for a few days. The garage can smell like whatever it seems, but not the ground floor.

I've brewed light lagers, cream ales, barleywines, IPAs, stouts, porters, meads, red ales, weizens, pales, dunkels, and scottish ales. Many more styles to try.

I've recently taken the BJCP exam to be certified as a beer judge, and am currently awaiting results, which may be a few months unfortunately.

Seems there are several threads relating to homebrewing, just a thought if they'd be merged?

Edited by Insanity

• 4 weeks later...

Yes indeed, word of mouth led me to an opportunity to be the sole brewer for a local small brewpub that is reopening soon. Currently just waiting for license from state, which could be in the next few weeks.

The brewpub has a 10bbl system, three 10bbl fermenters, and five 7bbl bright tanks in the cooler area. Four are used to serve direct to tap, and the other is used to keg other brews. They had I believe 17 taps, consisting of beers, homemade sodas, wine and champagne. I doubt I will fill all the taps on opening day, but plan on having at least the four serving tanks ready to go and perhaps some kegs filled for other taps.

I'd like to have a light lager ready, just for those who want one as it will fill the register, but the length of time to produce a lager may push that to later. I'd rather knock out some ales and have more things on tap then to hold a fermenter up for weeks lagering something. There is room to add another fermenter in the near future.

I've been doing a lot of cleaning, inspection, research into the whole operation, and I think it will be pretty keen once going.

You know, you could always go with a Cream ale that might draw the lager drinkers in. Something fermented with a pretty clean yeast - say Saf-05 or 1056 or something. You can get close enough in color and mouthfeel to fool at least some people.

I did a Cream ale once that made some traditionally BMC drinkers happy. Just a thought - might keep your register full while the lagering progresses. What other ales are you going to do?

My thought exactly, and I have a good cream ale recipe too. Actually I thought maybe do a light lager, then brew cream ale and 'accidentally' have that served to the lager drinkers, and eventually wean them.

I think among the standards will be an Irish Red, either a Porter or Stout, or both, an IPA, a light beer (cream, lager, something) and an Amber.

I would like to do a lot of seasonal or special brews. Oktoberfest, Maibocks, Scotch ales, Milds. Basically whatever I may feel like brewing for what ever reason, make it a limited thing, brew one batch, when its gone its gone until it comes back. I did a habanero IPA that won first place locally, so will have that from time to time.

If one of them become a favorite, maybe keep it, but I think sometimes not always having the favorites on all the time is good too.

Edited by Insanity

I'd go with a Porter. Its an under-represented style and you can do some fun things with it. Easier drinking than most stouts too, but still satisfy stout drinkers. Your plan sounds viable. You have my applause and some of my jealousy as well <_< Haha. enjoy, my friend. Make many good beers. Where are you located? If its not too far, i'd be happy to come sample.

Near Kalamazoo, Michigan.

Porters are quite good, as are Stouts, Guinness has been one of my favorites for a while.

Bell's Brewery, the largest brewery locally, has a dozen different stouts throughout the year, 25% of their beers are stouts. They do an All Stouts Day in early November, where all the stouts are on tap, and nothing else.

Stouts are good, but I think that's a bit much.

• 1 month later...

What about homebrewing rocket fuel?

You need the right amount of yeast,alcohol and a wicked fermentation process.

Subjects could include sasparilla,corn syrup,potato shavings and eggnog.

Anything that high octane would probably need to be distilled, which is not really legal to do.

Anything that high octane would probably need to be distilled, which is not really legal to do.

I wasn't being serious.

But it is a way to produce alcohol of a higher proof.

I'm not so much in brewing beer. I only like drinking it :lol:

Edited by CuriousGreek

Myself, I've found a higher appreciation of it when I've brewed it.