Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Geldof expects 'glorious failure'

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Talon

Talon

UM Chess Tournament Champion 2005

• 15,003 posts

• Life, Death, Anime inbetween

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:07 PM

Geldof expects 'glorious failure'
Bob Geldof has said his Live 8 protests will be "a glorious failure" because world leaders will "probably not" agree to all his demands on African poverty.
He told the AFP news agency he likes "no part" of organising the concerts and rallies to pressure G8 leaders to improve trade, aid and debt in Africa.

"Will that happen? Probably not. So will I have failed? Yes I guess."

Meanwhile, Bono met European Commission leader Jose Manuel Barroso on Thursday. He told world leaders: "Don't blow it."

Bono and Geldof are spearheading the campaign to persuade the planet's most influential people to focus on poverty in Africa.

Geldof is staging five concerts across Europe on 2 July, four days before the leaders of the G8 countries meet in Scotland.
He is then hoping to mobilise a million people to travel to Scotland to protest.

On Thursday, he launched the paperback version of the Commission For Africa, setting out measures he thinks are necessary to start solving problems he says cost 50,000 lives a day.

If he does not fully succeed, "we will have tried everything to the last fibre of exhaustion to make it happen and I can live with myself", he earlier told AFP.

"It will be, not for me but for everyone involved, a glorious failure."

The 53-year-old rock singer said his role was "very demanding".

"I really don't want to do it," he said. "There is no part of today that I have liked, not a single part."
But he had to try, he said. "For the rest of my life I would have thought 'I could have maybe done that, I could have maybe changed it and I bottled it for personal reasons'."

In Brussels, Bono said he was offended by the "stupidity" of the situation in Africa.

"There will always be natural calamities, but there are 120,000 lost lives in Africa every month and this is avoidable," he said.

Inspiring lyrics

"This is not wide-eyed, misty-eyed Irish nonsense - these are achievable goals. I am excited by that. That is what turns me on."

He urged leaders to "put down the national flags, look up from the numbers and look to the future".

Mr Barroso told Bono a lyric from U2 song Zooropa had inspired an article he wrote about the future of Europe.

To applause from Bono, he recited the lyric: "Don't worry baby, it's going to be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/ente...dio/4076538.stm

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." -Plato

#2    nick_fury

nick_fury

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,547 posts

• Nick Fury!: Smarter than the average bear

Posted 09 June 2005 - 01:24 PM

I hate Geldof, he made his name off of charity and milks it for all he's worth, the guy thinks he's the second coming or something, get a life!
why should world leaders listen to him, im sure they know better than a bitter washed up old irishman, in another 20 years im sure Geldof's cash flow problem will reoccur and we'll have live aid 3 to attend to

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users