Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How to disable DVD drive

Ashyne

How can I disable my DVD drive on the computer without actually removing or unwiring the DVD drive from my computer? I think it is sucking alot of my power from my computer so I want to disable it until I need to use it again. If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?

*Ok I found out how to disable it in Device Manager, so can you answer my last question, "If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?"*

Thanks.

Edited by Ashiene

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ashyne

• chemical-licker

• Eaglelox

• questionmark

How can I disable my DVD drive on the computer without actually removing or unwiring the DVD drive from my computer? I think it is sucking alot of my power from my computer so I want to disable it until I need to use it again. If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?

*Ok I found out how to disable it in Device Manager, so can you answer my last question, "If I disable the DVD drive without removing it, will power still be directed to the drive? If so, how can I stop power from going into the DVD drive?"*

Thanks.

no the drive will only pull +5v unless it is disconnected check your fan on power supply or get a power supply with a higher wattage I have 4 internal hard drive and two internal dvd writers, I am also running 6 other hard drives via usb and 750 watt power supply is more than enough to run it all

Edited by dmurdock36

• 3 weeks later...

I'm running a Core 2 Quad Q9650 + 4 gigs of RAM + 2 internal hard drives + 2 fans + Geforce 8600GT 1gb + 1 internal DVD writer + Windows Vista on 300watt power supply lol.

300watt power supply lol.

:blink: I wouldn't worry too much about your dvd drive then... If anything it's going to be your card and core that are going to burn out your power supply. Unless you've underclocked them both to make up for the lack of power?

Honestly, just get a new psu as soon as you can. You spent 300+ bucks on a core but 15 bucks on the engine that runs it?

Why would you have system specs like that.. but only a 300watt PSU? :mellow:

Circuit City had the power supply on special offer?

Edit: to be constructive, the drive does not consume power in a magnitude that would really matter (around 30 watts) unless it writes disks, so I doubt you can save anything by disabling it. The fans to keep your equipment cool use more power.

Edited by questionmark

Thanks.

just pull the power lead out :D

hahaha my technician chose some of the parts and assembled everything for me and i am noob at computer hardware so when i saw the receipt and the PC specs i thought 'OK looks good' but now i realise that my technician (who also owns a computer-assembling company) is even more noob than me because he chose the wrong PSU for me aaahahha i'm gonna ask him to change it to a 550W is that good? or maybe more?

if your not running dual video cards it should be fine. the best way is to add up the power needed.

fans, graphics cards, processor... then get a power supply that is a bit bigger.

make sure whatever you end up with it is the proper Power Pin. prob a 24

Edited by Eaglelox

• 3 weeks later...
hahaha my technician chose some of the parts and assembled everything for me and i am noob at computer hardware so when i saw the receipt and the PC specs i thought 'OK looks good' but now i realise that my technician (who also owns a computer-assembling company) is even more noob than me because he chose the wrong PSU for me aaahahha i'm gonna ask him to change it to a 550W is that good? or maybe more?

550 is more than fine. If you go to 500+ make sure that it has a built in fan and that you have additional case fans to keep heat down. Like the other poster above me mentioned, if you don't use the DVD drive, pull the plug on it.

You seem like a smart user. Why take the thing in to a technician? It's easier than working on a car. Unscrew a couple tiny screws that are very obvious, unplug current power supply from the MB and other drives, put in new power supply, re-screw screws. A 500-600+ power supply should cost you like $20 total from NewEgg, how much are you going to pay some nerd to mess with your rig?

edit: heck, I'll post a step by step for you right here if you really want. You can change a power supply in less than 10 minutes. Super easy.

Edited by KRS-One