Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

A Hole in Mars

mars hole

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,777 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:18 PM

Coffey, on 21 July 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

Sinkhole:

Posted Image

Impact Crater:

Posted Image

My money is impact crater, just happens to be a hole or cave underneath. Which oculd have even been created by the thing that made the impact. (Meteor, space debri etc)
  Wow, you haven't been digging for gold, or maybe a goldfish Pond ? Seriously I hope no one got injured.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#17    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,777 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 21 July 2012 - 08:23 PM

Still Waters, on 19 July 2012 - 08:51 PM, said:

Astronomy Picture of the Day -

What created this unusual hole in Mars?

http://apod.nasa.gov...d/ap120718.html
   Entrance/exit to an underground Martian City,worth exploring someday.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#18    Cyaneyed

Cyaneyed

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 363 posts

• Yeah, then you woke up with your head in your cornflakes.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:56 AM

Being on the side of a volcano, could it not just be a magma cavern that's caved in over time?

Edited by Cyaneyed, 22 July 2012 - 09:56 AM.

"Even real sounds like a zero to a brain in lip sync"

#19    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

Maybe the Martians were testing underground nukes. :passifier:

#20    la_paloma_blanca

la_paloma_blanca

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 37 posts

• Ay guey, si guey, no guey, claro k guey.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Haven't we learned enough from the b rated movies that we have no business spelunking alien caverns?

#21    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

la_paloma_blanca, on 22 July 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

Haven't we learned enough from the b rated movies that we have no business spelunking alien caverns?

Don't take away all the fun... everyone likes to hear about an astronaut getting their head bit off by an alien. :alien:

Edited by pallidin, 22 July 2012 - 07:13 PM.

#22    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:27 PM

Odd there is no debris on the floor, since you have a funnel shaped pit on a planet with dust storms. Perhaps swept away by wind or water coursing through tunnels?

#23    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Nah, just alien goo-slime.

#24    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 19,796 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 22 July 2012 - 11:18 PM

lightly, on 19 July 2012 - 10:15 PM, said:

Amazing!   it does look like a sinkhole, maybe,  but why isn't there a pile of .. sand?  directly underneath the opening?
Where did the sand go that must have slid down?   It looks Empty inside!!   It does look sort of like an impact crater..  the Hollowness is the astounding part!
My guess is that the crater is not really too deep, and that most of the hole was actually tossed out when something hit here. Debris in the cave hole being gone, I'd vote for it being moved around by wind and pushed downhill out of sight of the pic. Probably down a lava tube of some kind.

Coffey, on 21 July 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

My money is impact crater, just happens to be a hole or cave underneath. Which oculd have even been created by the thing that made the impact. (Meteor, space debri etc)

At first I was leaning toward it being a sink hole. But looking at the pic again, there does appear to be a faint ridge around the crater. So I'm voting impact crater too.

Edit: I thought the dirt on Mars was Red??

Edited by DieChecker, 22 July 2012 - 11:19 PM.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#25    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,585 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 04:19 AM

DieChecker, on 22 July 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

My guess is that the crater is not really too deep, and that most of the hole was actually tossed out when something hit here. Debris in the cave hole being gone, I'd vote for it being moved around by wind and pushed downhill out of sight of the pic. Probably down a lava tube of some kind.

At first I was leaning toward it being a sink hole. But looking at the pic again, there does appear to be a faint ridge around the crater. So I'm voting impact crater too.

Not sure about this particular location as to whether or not it should be "red", but NASA imaging often uses "false colors" to enhance detail.

#26    Spectre1979

Spectre1979

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 06:22 AM

Not sure there is much of a story here, but if they explore it and find something then I'll gladly eat my words!

There are things known, and things unknown and in between are the Doors!

#27    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,075 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 23 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

Ya, there is a faint ridge around the 'crater' .  If it's an impact crater it's surface debris was buried with wind blown sand?
... because there is no trace of outward streaks or even chunks!  ...  the thing is mysterious!

What cyanneyed said makes sense: " Being on the side of a volcano, could it not just be a magma cavern that's caved in over time?"

◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊◊

Mar's Victoria Crater  Attached File  Victoria-red-annot.thumb.jpg   148.81K   7 downloads

http://www.google.co...tbm=isch&itbs=1

This HiRISE image shows "Victoria Crater," an impact crater at Meridiani Planum, near the equator of Mars. The crater is approximately 800 meters (about half a mile) in diameter. It has a distinctive "scalloped" shape to its rim, caused by erosion and downhill movement of crater wall material. Layered sedimentary rocks are exposed along the inner wall of the crater, and boulders that have fallen from the crater wall are visible on the crater floor. The floor of the crater is occupied by a striking field of sand dunes.
Since January, 2004, the Mars Exploration Rover Opportunity has been operating at Meridiani Planum. Five days before this image was taken, Opportunity arrived at the rim of Victoria Crater, after a drive of more than 9 km (over 5 miles). The rover can be seen in this image, at roughly the "ten o'clock" position along the rim of the crater.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#28    jamiecollins27

jamiecollins27

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 4 posts

• S.W.E.D.

Posted 24 July 2012 - 01:33 AM

Is it really that hard to believe? When we still have people debating that we have holes in the north and south poles leading into our earth? I personally believe it but thats from a bias of information ive researched.

#29    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 24 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

This doesn't look like a sink hole or an impact crater to me because it's clearly raised far above the surface, kind of like a pimple.  There also appears to be a curve to the tunnel, like if one were to fly down the 90 degree opening it would eventually turn into a 120 degree turn.  There is a brightness inside the black half moon of the shadow, as if it is being illuminated from inside.  If this is all ice maybe it could happen but I am currently rethinking the inner core world theory.  Crazy?  Might be, but someone has to be "crazy" so that the self righteous & the closed minded have something to complain about...  Hehe

Edited by Lava_Lady, 24 July 2012 - 07:29 AM.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#30    Coffey

Coffey

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,671 posts

• "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts." - Winston Churchill

Posted 24 July 2012 - 09:48 AM

DieChecker, on 22 July 2012 - 11:18 PM, said:

This is a true colour view of Mars: (from Nasa)

Posted Image

Yeah, there is ice in the North and South.... (a lot of people fial to mention this, I was kinda shocked when I found out)

Ther eis more google images of Mars that shows there is more than that as well.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users