Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Unbelief, the world’s third-largest religion

unbelief atheists agnostics

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,320 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 23 December 2012 - 02:51 PM

A new report on global religious identity shows that while Christians and Muslims make up the two largest groups, those with no religious affiliation — including atheists and agnostics — are now the third-largest “religious” group in the world.

http://www.washingto...05a7_story.html

Posted Image

#2    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwít éoredmæcg

• 4,844 posts

• Hige sceal þe heardra, heorte þe cenre, mod sceal þe mare, þe ure mægen lytlað.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

The days are gone when gods were 'necessary'. No longer do we need them as scapegoats for ill-fortune, plague, crop failure and just plain bad luck. The threat of eternal damnation no longer has the power to keep most of the flock in line and ensure a 'Right Hand of God' seat to watch the 'unrighteous' suffer eternity in the flames of hell.

I wonder how many of those questioned replied "I think there must be something 'up there' but I don't believe in organized religion."? And were they counted as 'unbelievers'?

"Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnáwan þín gefá!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".
I can teach you with a quip, if I've a mind; I can trick you into learning with a laugh; Oh, winnow all my folly and you'll find, A grain or two of truth among the chaff!
(The Yeoman of the Guard ~ Gilbert and Sullivan)

#3    eight bits

eight bits

• 6,212 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Those who are interested in this aspect of the report may also be interested in the exisitng thread on the report as a whole,

http://www.unexplain...howtopic=239529

which also includes direct links  to the report, and value-added query features hosted by Pew.

Posted Image

#4    Valdemar the Great

Valdemar the Great

Unsuitable for large vehicles

• 24,831 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 23 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

Is it any wonder, seeing how the Churches of the world only seem to be interested in bickering about silly, pointless issues and give the impression that all they want to promote is God as a vindictive monster who hates just about everybody, really.

Edited by 747400, 23 December 2012 - 03:21 PM.

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#5    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 12:54 AM

Those who claim their unbelief is not a religion, they are kidding themselves because their unbelief is also built on the foundations of faith, ie they have faith in the belief that there is no god, because it cannot be proven definitively, their whole belief of unbelief is faith based just like a believers. Lol, the irony is sweet!

#6    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,158 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 12:54 AM, said:

Those who claim their unbelief is not a religion, they are kidding themselves because their unbelief is also built on the foundations of faith, ie they have faith in the belief that there is no god, because it cannot be proven definitively, their whole belief of unbelief is faith based just like a believers. Lol, the irony is sweet!

It's not a religion, religion is based upon "god" existing and being the center of the universe (figuratively speaking).

#7    Diablo Blanco

Diablo Blanco

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 113 posts

• People will invent all kinds of solutions to what is not explained.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

If atheism is a religion, then NOT collecting stamps, is a hobby!

I see my savior every morning, in my mirror. My mind is my Temple.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullsh!t. ~ Richard Pryor

#8    AquilaChrysaetos

AquilaChrysaetos

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

• "Some people wish to be the sun, so they can brighten your day. I wish to be the moon, which shines down upon you in your darkest hour."

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:11 AM

Apathy. The global pandemic.

Jesus Christ - Matthew 28:18-20 said:

"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age."

Posted Image

#9    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:12 AM

View PostHavocWing, on 27 December 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

It's not a religion, religion is based upon "god" existing and being the center of the universe (figuratively speaking).

In religion god is central figure and centre of existence, in atheism it is the self who is god and centre of their existence. Nothing different really. Their belief in no god is based on faith, so atheism is a religion based on unbelief in god and one requires faith for it too, scientist are the cleric and clergy, what they say is gospel ;)

Edited by Lion6969, 27 December 2012 - 01:13 AM.

#10    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Poltergeist

• 2,158 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

Just because one doesn't believe in the psycho abrahamic god, doesn't  mean athiests place themselves at the center of the universe.  Belief (or un-belief) in something doesn't make it faith or religion.

#11    Arbenol

Arbenol

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostLion6969, on 27 December 2012 - 01:12 AM, said:

In religion god is central figure and centre of existence, in atheism it is the self who is god and centre of their existence. Nothing different really.

That's a whopper of a strawman you've built yourself there.

Posted Image

#12    Lion6969

Lion6969

Poltergeist

• 2,229 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:32 AM

No faith makes a religion and your unbelief is entirely based on faith :)

Nor did say believe in Abrahamic god,  I said those with unbelief remove god from the centre to replace it with themselves. The religion if atheism centres on the individual and was derived from philosophical foundations such as atomism!

#13    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Government Agent

• 3,288 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

Sorry Lion6969, it's not as black and white as you make it to be.

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#14    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:38 AM

I place other people at the center of my world.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#15    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:48 AM

a few stories are decent

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users