Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

NY paper publishes gun owner info

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#91    Rafterman

Rafterman

Telekinetic

• 7,116 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

The paper has now pulled down the list from their website because it has become obvious that criminals were using it to target gun owners, retired police, prison guards, etc.

For those who say this wasn't a big deal, well, it was such a big deal that the New York SAFE law recently passed and signed by the Governor recognized that such a public listing was a problem and protected gun owner lists from FOI requests.  One of the few good things in that law.

"For me, it is better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
                                                                                                                                           - Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World:  Science as a Candle in the Dark

#92    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,970 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

Yes, they are complete morons and some here thought it was a remarkably good idea.

Posted Image

#93    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,064 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

so you're afraid that it would be easy for the general public to find out that you own devices whose only use is to kill other humans?

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#94    Dredimus

Dredimus

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:54 PM

View Postninjadude, on 19 January 2013 - 11:03 PM, said:

so you're afraid that it would be easy for the general public to find out that you own devices whose only use is to kill other humans?

A narrow minded response in my opinion... tells me you have never been faced with a true choice of living or dying, protecting yourself and your family or laying in a pool of your own blood. Bad guys love it when their victim is defenseless. This situation was wrought with Privacy and Security issues and that fact was made more than apparent by the issues that stinted from the webpage. Theres a reason it was taken down....

#95    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,970 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

How about you give us your real name and address? Like the people listed, you haven't done anything to warrant such actions but I think your views and political ideals are a danger and a menace to this country and so do millions of other people so I think it's only fair that you put up or shut up. What are you afraid of? Getting robbed, harrased, being put in danger? This has proven to be a horrible idea, you know it. People got robbed and nobody substantial supported this idiocy and you know it. I listed everything you thought would happen and the exact opposite came true. So you know what? Don't shut up. Every time you spew your vile views you inspire someone to buy another gun. Your a damn Remington mascot at this point. They love you.

Posted Image

#96    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,489 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

it isn't the ppl that owned guns should be afraid of that list, but those that do not, the list pretty much a map where not to go.

RESIDENT TROLL.

#97    Drayno

Drayno

Bounty Hunter

• 3,866 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:07 AM

It's more so people are angry that they had their information, addresses, and names released for simply choosing to exercise a right - all this information being released against their wills. They did not consent to their information being released and they have every right to be upset. It's not a matter if someone knows if someone owns a gun at a certain location - it is none of their damn business if you exercise the right to own a gun. I don't ask for anyone's permission to share my political opinions. Why should it be someone else's business if I own a gun?

"Let us sit upon the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings."
- William Shakespeare, Richard II, Act III, Scene II
Posted Image

#98    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,367 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:14 AM

This is a step too far, releasing private information about gun owners without the consent of the owners themselves. Tramping all over my constitution that my forefathers have fought so hard for.

Edited by Uncle Sam, 20 January 2013 - 04:15 AM.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#99    Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam

Psychic Spy

• 1,367 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

This was a quick jab at Legal Gun Owners, directly at them to basically send an message by a liberal media.

A man's ethical behaviour should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death. - Albert Einstein

#100    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:33 AM

Got those 2 points sighted right Uncle Sam

#101    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,970 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

View Postaztek, on 20 January 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

it isn't the ppl that owned guns should be afraid of that list, but those that do not, the list pretty much a map where not to go.
True Aztek as I frat thought too, but the 2 homes robbed were robbed or their guns. The list gives incentive in many ways.

Posted Image

#102    aztek

aztek

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,489 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 20 January 2013 - 07:17 AM, said:

True Aztek as I frat thought too, but the 2 homes robbed were robbed or their guns. The list gives incentive in many ways.

already? where?  a link?

RESIDENT TROLL.

#103    F3SS

F3SS

Telekinetic

• 6,970 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

View Postaztek, on 20 January 2013 - 07:42 AM, said:

already? where?  a link?
Posts 87&89. Click the link and the sources are hyperlinked within. C'mon man.

Posted Image

#104    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,064 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostDredimus, on 19 January 2013 - 11:54 PM, said:

A narrow minded response in my opinion... tells me you have never been faced with a true choice of living or dying, protecting yourself and your family or laying in a pool of your own blood.

All true. And one I hope to continue to avoid by advocating gun control.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#105    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 11,064 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

View PostUncle Sam, on 20 January 2013 - 04:14 AM, said:

This is a step too far, releasing private information about gun owners without the consent of the owners themselves. Tramping all over my constitution that my forefathers have fought so hard for.

no it's not private. It's in fact, public information, just posted in a different form. Your outrage is misplaced.

- Friedrich Nietzsche

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users