Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

NY teen killed putting head out of party bus

notoverrated

I'm sorry that he died but he's a moron for doing that.

idk its a pretty common thing to do on a party bus.

Oh that is so tragic and so young too :cry: I'm always telling my teenage daughter to stop leaning out of the window when we are in the car, heck my little yorkie loves sticking her neck out the window and it scares me that there could be an accident. Gosh my heart goes out to the poor family and the friends of the teenager that died.

• Like 3

Stupid kid didn't listen, I don't feel one bit bad about him.

pretty messed up. the kid made a mistake and it cost him, he didnt deserve it and he was only a kid. Edited by notoverrated
  • Like 5

It is sad. But this is the problem with some people, not just kids. They don't listen or understand it's weird and they end up doing something completely stupid like this. Darwin award?

To be honest i feel sorry for the other kids, they are the ones that had to see and experience that. Then his parents as well. Such a young age but int he back of their minds knowing their son was a moron. They will have mixed feeling of sadness, hurt and a little bit of anger at him for doing it.

Edited by Coffey

pretty messed up. the kid made a mistake and it cost him, he didnt deserve it and he was only a kid.

He deserved it. One common trend that I notice when things happen to youngsters like these is that they always mention the good, and never the bad. What about how moronic he was? The driver, apparently, told the kids many times to not open the hatch, but he went ahead and did it anyway. It seems as if he was a problem child, more than anything.

"He/she had lots of friends. He/she was liked by everybody. It is such a tragedy when something happens to an individual whom is so young.", even when it wasn't entirely true...

When I die, I want people to say how much of a prick I was during my life, amongst the good things.

Overpass: 1, Darwin: 0

Edited by Alienated Being
  • Like 1

wow rly he deserved it? say tht to his mom. the guy was 16 he made a mistake his life was taken i dont see how he deserved anything.

• Like 2

He deserved it. One common trend that I notice when things happen to youngsters like these is that they always mention the good, and never the bad. What about how moronic he was? The driver, apparently, told the kids many times to not open the hatch, but he went ahead and did it anyway. It seems as if he was a problem child, more than anything.

"He/she had lots of friends. He/she was liked by everybody. It is such a tragedy when something happens to an individual whom is so young.", even when it wasn't entirely true...

When I die, I want people to say how much of a prick I was during my life, amongst the good things.

Overpass: 1, Darwin: 0

ya i dont see it tht way, my little brother is about the same age and he is stupid and does dumb sh1t but doesnt mean that because he is stupid wat ever happens to him is ok and he "deserved it" wth kind of logic is that? what teenager thinks about crap? there was 65 other kids there he was having fun trying to be cool wat ever it was and he died. i dont see how he deserved it. and ya someones kids head is msashed like a pumpkin and they are going to rant on about how he was ****ing idiot and deserved it :td:

ya i dont see it tht way, my little brother is about the same age and he is stupid and does dumb sh1t but doesnt mean that because he is stupid wat ever happens to him is ok and he "deserved it" wth kind of logic is that? what teenager thinks about crap? there was 65 other kids there he was having fun trying to be cool wat ever it was and he died. i dont see how he deserved it. and ya someones kids head is msashed like a pumpkin and they are going to rant on about how he was ****ing idiot and deserved it :td:

As a result, the weak and stupid did not survive. You have got to love natural selection, and survival of the fittest/smartest.

As a result, the weak and stupid did not survive. You have got to love natural selection, and survival of the fittest/smartest.

ya but tht law doesnt even apply to today. look out your window you will see the stupid and the unfit running around enjoying life. if we went by your law everyone who wasnt strong enough to stop from being raped/murdered deserved it (strong will survive).

Wow guys I'm surprised at the replies on here :no: We have ALL done stupid things each and everyone of us. To say this teenager deserved it, is plain wrong.... remember what you were/are like as a teenager. I know I did some very dumb things as a teenager and got away with a lot. Heck I remember jumping off roofs at a building site into sand with my friends. I can't believe I did that and I could of broken my neck or worse killed myself like this poor kid. I was lucky that's all :hmm:

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 2

I agree that today's teens have a listening problem, but I think of the poor family who lost their son.

It was ignorant of him to stick his head out the hatch, but I have done ignorant things and I'm sure everyone that reads this statement has as well, but was death deserved?

I don't think so.

And I can't stand today's youth. No offense.

all tragedy noted, this is a perfect example of stupidity.

and that the kids who witnessed it are forever changed because of this act of stupidity. do you suppose it taught them anything? i don't. they will still think they are immortal, untouchable, invincible whathaveyou.

• Like 2

The part of the brain that analyzes risk is not fully developed until around the age of 25.

That is not stupidity just a part of immaturity. Being immature is not a negative just a part of growth.

Those who claim the kid deserved it are stupid or maybe ignorant. The equivalent is yelling at an 8-year-old and expecting them to act and think like adults. It is your expectations that are unrealistic in both cases.

• Like 5

Stupid or not, it's insensitive to say that the kid deserved to die like that. I feel sorry for the family and the friends who witnessed the accident. We all are immature till some point in our lives, we need to accept it.

Edit: wrong choice of words.

Edited by dlonewolf85
  • Like 2

ya but tht law doesnt even apply to today. look out your window you will see the stupid and the unfit running around enjoying life. if we went by your law everyone who wasnt strong enough to stop from being raped/murdered deserved it (strong will survive).

He should have known better. He was well-aware of the risks, but chose to do what he did anyway regardless. Therefore, it is his fault, and he did deserve it. And, I am not sympathetic towards blatant stupidity and ignorance, I am sorry. I never did any such thing as a youngster, as I had more of a head on my shoulders than that. My parents told me to keep my arms inside of the window once, and I did so. If he had been sensible, and listened to the adult, then this would have never happened. He is dead.

I have no sympathy. Zero. I guess I am a bad person. Oh, well.

Edited by Alienated Being
  • Like 1

It was a stupid thing to do, but no one deserves to die. So many kids just don't listen and get killed trying to show off. You would hope some would learn something as a result of this.

• Like 3

It was a stupid thing to do, but no one deserves to die. So many kids just don't listen and get killed trying to show off. You would hope some would learn something as a result of this.

As I said, I have no sympathy for those who are blatantly ignorant, and stupid. Now, if this were a five year old child, I would feel awful. Heck, even a 12 or13 year old dying would make me a little upset. But a 17 year old ? ? ? Almost 18 years old? Nope.

He should have known better. He was well-aware of the risks

A neurologist penned the following article which seems to disagree.

Teenagers are three to four times more likely to die during those years than at any other point past infancy, until they become elderly. The causes of death are largely attributed to their higher risk-taking and accidents. What may appear to be bad judgment or selfishness may really be an inability of their incompletely formed brains to think before they act.

Reasoning along with judgment, goal planning, risk assessment, consequence prediction, organizing, and prioritizing are the "executive functions" that are controlled from the last part of the brain to mature. Their mature bodies and growing independence are ready to go, but teens' prefrontal cortex has yet to literally "get it together". This is a setup for disaster. Just when they are becoming sexually active, have access to drugs and alcohol, and begin to drive, teens neural network hubs for those judgment and risk-assessment controls are still childlike.

The prefrontal cortex has an anatomic location that enables it to integrate a wide array of neural circuits into a functional whole. This process of integration enables the prefrontal area to play a central role in complex mental processes that emerge as the child grows. The prefrontal region is crucial for social cognition (understanding the minds of others), self-regulation, response flexibility (taking in data, pausing, reflecting), and accurate self-awareness. So as teens experience pressures from peers, parents, and society as they strive to create their individual identities, the prefrontal cortex, with its neural network of executive functioning and judgment, is not in place to guide them.

Without the prefrontal cortex's executive functions to inhibit impulses, weigh consequences of decisions, prioritize, strategize, separate fact from opinion, weigh the validity of information, and analyze risk, teens make decisions based on emotional, reactive, rather than logical, reflective, responses. Until these networks are mature, things adults consider obvious and even dangerous may not be interpreted that way by the still incomplete frontal lobes of teenagers.

Why Healthy Teenagers Die

I have no sympathy. Zero. I guess I am a bad person. Oh, well.

Nah, you are just misinformed.

The prefrontal cortex is one of the last regions of the brain to reach maturation. This delay may help to explain why some adolescents act the way they do. The so-called “executive functions” of the human prefrontal cortex include:

• Focusing attention
  • Organizing thoughts and problem solving
  • Foreseeing and weighing possible consequences of behavior
  • Considering the future and making predictions
  • Forming strategies and planning
  • Ability to balance short-term rewards with long term goals
  • Shifting/adjusting behavior when situations change
  • Impulse control and delaying gratification
  • Modulation of intense emotions
  • Inhibiting inappropriate behavior and initiating appropriate behavior
  • Simultaneously considering multiple streams of information when faced with complex and challenging information

This brain region gives an individual the capacity to exercise “good judgment” when presented with difficult life situations. Brain research indicating that brain development is not complete until near the age of 25, refers specifically to the development of the prefrontal cortex.

MRI studies of the brain show that developmental processes tend to occur in the brain in a back to front pattern, explaining why the prefrontal cortex develops last. These studies have also found that teens have less white matter (myelin) in the frontal lobes of their brains when compared to adults, but this amount increases as the teen ages. With more myelin comes the growth of important brain connections, allowing for better flow of information between brain regions.

This body of brain research data has led to the idea of “frontalization,” whereby the prefrontal cortex gradually becomes able to oversee and regulate the behavioral responses initiated by the more primitive limbic structures.

MRI research has also revealed that during adolescence, white matter increases in the corpus callosum, the bundle of nerve fibers connecting the right and left hemispheres of the brain. This allows for enhanced communication between the hemispheres and enables a full array of analytic and creative strategies to be brought to bear in responding to the complex dilemmas that may arise in a young person’s life. Once again the role of experience is critical in developing the neural connectivity that allows for conscious cognitive control of the emotions and passions of adolescence. Teens who take risks in relatively safe situations exercise the circuitry and develop the skills to “put on the brakes” in more dangerous situations.

With an immature prefrontal cortex, even if teens understand that something is dangerous, they may still go ahead and engage in the risky behavior. Recognizing the asynchrony of development of the regions of the brain helps us to see adolescent risk-taking in a whole new light. This broadened view of risk-taking and the concept of self-regulation are explored in the next section.

http://www.hhs.gov/o...frontal_cortex/

If the security there was trained better and specifically to work with juveniles then perhaps he would have never left that area knowing the teens had an inclanation to open the hatch. Instead he could have sent these very teens on a mission to deliver his message to the bus driver. You can be certain the policy will be revised with perhaps even the hatch having an alarm to alert the driver to stop when opened if the bus is moving. Now they know better.

Edited by Chasingtherabbit

I have to agree with the people who are saying that a 17 year old should know better. Just because the science shows that a teenager can't exercise good judgement doesn't mean they can't bloody listen to instructions, especially when it comes to a moving motor vehicle and the possibility of a quick death. Doing drugs? Yeah, that can be blamed on teenagers being undeveloped little morons. Intentionally trying to take off safety belts at amusement parks (which teenagers have done and have died from) is not excusable. If the safety parameters are there, are told to you, and you fully realize what's a stake, then follow those rules and you won't die. Feel bad for the kid if you want, but I'll lose no sleep over the fact that he didn't follow proper instructions nor listen to the 'emergency hatch' warning label. Did he not stop to read it? Probably. But who goes ahead and sticks their head out of a moving vehicle and expects they'll be fine? Morons and the extinct Limb Flailer Monkey.

Edited by Hasina

Most of us get the chance to learn from our mistakes, its a shame this lad won't...

• Like 8