Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Egypt's President Morsi Is No Longer In Power

questionmark

A huge celebration has begun in Egypt's Tahrir Square, after military chief Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi says that Mohammed Morsi is out as president and the country's constitution has been suspended. Egypt's chief justice will hold power during the transitional period and set a date for early presidential elections.

Mass protests that have gone on since Sunday prompted Egypt's military to replace Morsi, the country's democratically elected leader. Morsi had remained defiant, insisting he would not resign.

Read more

Strangely quiet from the White House.

• Like 1

According to Sky News, they gave tonnes of money to the military

• Like 1

they sure did, but that was when they were a Staunch ally against Assad and other sources of Evil. They probably hoped to build up Egypt as another bastion against Evil like those other beacons of human rights, S. Arabia.

• Like 7

An argument could be made that it's democracy in action - the military didn't act until the people were roundly ignored.

• Like 5

An argument could be made that it's democracy in action - the military didn't act until the people were roundly ignored.

Of course the military is working to an extent out of self interest but I truly get the impression that they do not want to be bothered with having to GOVERN the nation - only defend it. I respect them for that. It remains to be seen if the MB will go quietly or if they will bring the country into further crisis. I hope the civil war can be averted.
  • Like 4

Of course the military is working to an extent out of self interest but I truly get the impression that they do not want to be bothered with having to GOVERN the nation - only defend it. I respect them for that. It remains to be seen if the MB will go quietly or if they will bring the country into further crisis. I hope the civil war can be averted.

Just an opinion, but I don't think the MB(Muslim Brotherhood) will go quietly...like you said "it remains to be seen..."

Unless something extraordinary happens with regards to a meeting of minds, I think there will be instead a meeting of swords, so-to-speak.

So how hollow are Obama's threats going to be now that the military has actually acted on their threats? Just how bad is "Egypt going to lose the United States"? Is he going to be a leader of principle and stand up for himself and cut the Jimmy Carter aid that's still extorting billions upon billions of US taxpayer dollars every year to perpetuity and back so the war criminals on both sides of the sandbox get their behavior money? Of course not. Once Obama picks his flattened credibility made out of false threats up off the carpet after getting owned this badly by the latest popular revolt, he's going to get some unseen helpers to make some private phone calls to Egypt ask who he's cutting the checks to. It's Israel for God's sake. Every Israeli needs a thousand dollars every year from the US taxpayer. This isn't some unimportant thing like Rwanda, or genocide, or something.

• Like 1

Good. That ahole was just caught hot mic'd on live tv directly calling US his enemy. He's a mad Islamist and I'm glad we won't be seeing his smug terrorist face anymore.

• Like 1

Good. That ahole was just caught hot mic'd on live tv directly calling US his enemy. He's a mad Islamist and I'm glad we won't be seeing his smug terrorist face anymore.

well we know what you think of Obama, but what about Morsi? :P

• Like 5

Not sure a military coups is the answer but then again, Islamic fundamentalists aren't either. If there is a nation in the Middle East and North Africa who could lead their nation and people to a secular society model, Egypt is it. But the situation at the moment is quite dangerous and uncertain and could swing in any direction. I wouldn't be counting the MB down and out yet.

• Like 4

Looks like this time a military coup was the lesser of two evils. We won't know for sure though for awhile.

...that was to the military under Morsi control.

The White House has consistently sided with the Muslim Brothers here.

They certainly did not intend for the Islamists to be overthrown. If you believe that, you are fooling yourself.

• Like 3

I don't know that Morsi was able to change the officer ranks much, and attempts to do so might be part of all this.

...nothing strange about it at all.. the American led Arab "spring" got rid of secular Middle East dictators and replaced them with leaders sympathetic to Islamic values and terrorists (i.e.Tunisia, Libya and Egypt and very nearly Assad), and NOW it seems that the USA has realized the error of removing Mubarak, and possibly the rest too.. then given the nod to the US lackey, the Egyptian army, to step in and clean up the "Arab Spring" mess..

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to occur to a few idiots here and there that the US had very little to do with any of the events in the Arab Spring: that they happened on their own without any plan or interference (except in Libya and even then the interference was not the determining factor). People do sometimes take their own lives into their own hands. That the outcomes are good or bad from the perspective of the States is irrelevant anyway.

• Like 2

It doesn't seem to occur to a few idiots here and there that the US had very little to do with any of the events in the Arab Spring: that they happened on their own without any plan or interference (except in Libya and even then the interference was not the determining factor). People do sometimes take their own lives into their own hands. That the outcomes are good or bad from the perspective of the States is irrelevant anyway.

You must certainly be an American.. cause only the naive believe that the USA had nothing to do with the "Arab Spring" which actually started off in Iraq, instigated by Bush and followed through by Osama.. Oops i meant Obama.. and the only reason that America is back tracking, is cause the "cure" Islamic democracy, is worse than the dictator disease.. and without American support helping the locals "take their lives in their own hands" the people in the above mentioned nation, would be better off..

• Like 2

Well I'm not an American and spent several years of my life fighting Americans, and your assertion just proves to me how muddled your thinking is. Your post is just nonsense; the States do not have that kinda power. It is a country in mild decline in the world and cannot control events.

Sure Frank..

It's interesting that the News on the BBC are careful to emphasise "the Democratically elected president", and not a mention of his support from and for the Muslim Brotherhood and all that crowd. i don't know whether this is deliberate, or just that they see things in simple black & white terms; "Democatically elected: Good".

• Like 1

We can only hope that this seemingly good turn of events will not osify into a longer standing military junta.

Its seems that Morsi attempted to strengthen his political position at the cost of addressing real social issues, he was guided by theosphic principles and wanted to bring religion into government. That time has gone and the nation could see it wasn't taking them to a better place (as it never does). His failure to introduce a representative democratic parliment was the red flag which signalled his fall from grace.

We can but hope for early elections of a new secular president and then shortly followed by a new Parliment.

I do think there has been rather to much meddling from Washington in the events of the Arab spring, they have been opportunists in the face of a crisis but seem to have consistently backed the wrong horse at the cost of the local populations.

Br Cornelius

More grist for my suspicion of the idea of democracy. The majority can be a tyranny, as it was in ancient Athens much of the time.

Sure Frank..

From that I conclude you concede you were wrong. Either that or at a minimum you concede you have no evidence to support your assertions.

Just an opinion, but I don't think the MB(Muslim Brotherhood) will go quietly...like you said "it remains to be seen..."

Unless something extraordinary happens with regards to a meeting of minds, I think there will be instead a meeting of swords, so-to-speak.

Naturally they will not go quietly, their problem is that now they have amply demonstrated not being able to effectively govern the country and therefore will be riding into the sunset-- with or without a fight.

• Like 2