Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gobekli Tepe was a place for rebirth ?

Ove

Is it so that the sculptures are pregnant goddesses with their hands on the belly as a sign of their pregnancy ?

Is it so that the remains of the dead, where brought to Göbekli Tepe ("Potbelly Hill") to be reborn by the great Anatolian goddesses ?

Did they believe their dead could be reborn by their pregnant women ?

y15lc.jpg

Edited by Ove

speaking of foxes...

http://www.globalani...t-friend/29392/

Foxes: Prehistoric Man's Best Friend?

February 15, 2011 Elizabeth Neville:

Before dog was man's best friend, we might have kept foxes as pets, even bringing them with us into our graves, scientists now say.

This discovery, made in a prehistoric cemetery in the Middle East, could shed light on the nature and timing of newly developing relationships between people and beasts before animals were first domesticated. It also hints that key aspects of ancient practices surrounding death might have originated earlier than before thought.

The ancient graveyard known as 'Uyun al-Hammam, or "spring of the pigeon," was discovered in the small river valley of Wadi Ziqlab in northern Jordan in 2000 and named after a nearby freshwater spring. The burial ground is about 16,500 years old, meaning it dates back to just before the emergence of the Natufian culture, in which pioneers used wild cereals (such as wheat, barley and oats) in a practice that would eventually evolve into true farming. These communities dwelled 11,600 to 14,500 years ago in the Levant, the area that today includes Israel, Palestine, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.

The Natufian culture was known to bury people with dogs. *snip* However, the new discovery at 'Uyun al-Hammam shows that some of these practices took place earlier with a different doglike animal, the fox.

more in link....

• Like 1

2s777kg.jpg

To me the Gobekli Tepe animals bare their teeth as a typical dog warning sign. The snakes, the spiders, the scorpions all send the same message "keep off" "stay away" "don't touch" just like modern warning signs do. It was not allowed to touch the pregnant goddesses of Gobekli Tepe ! They didn't have writing so the used warning signs like these.

26273ol.jpg

ip9p5c.jpg

Edited by Ove

• 1 year later...

Additional info

In real life all kinds of animals are interested in pregnant women and act protective. So if these statues are pregnant women (fertility statues), the animals are there to protect them.

kao39x.jpgqg5002de64.jpg

Edited by Ove

...well, you seem to "know" exactly what was in the minds of the creators of the site and what they were and what they were depicting -- no small feat, considering no professional historian or archeaologists cop to it. Why are you asking us questions and getting shirty when you get a reply you don't like? Are we just supposed to sit back and tell you how brilliant you are, to confirm your genius for you?

And by the way, Cybele was popularly associated with lions, not foxes.

--Jaylemurph

• Like 1

I think it's kind of presumptuous to interpret something without first learning about the culture and (in fact) looking at all the data there. In other words, was this a single item or a centrally placed item or is it fully uncovered and has the site been fully examined and what other artifacts are there....?

...and so forth.

For instance, I would be rather amused (or irritated) at someone deciding they knew all about me (age, marital status, where I live, education level, what I like to eat, what kind of computer I run simply by looking at my user icon and my user name. Most folks seem eager to speculate on ancient civilizations simply by looking at one of the civilization's icons and then declaring they know all about it.

Looks like a rendezvous or gathering place of tribes or clans of the same people. Each dedicated to a patron deity and marked with the clan totem or spirit guide. The domain of tribal shaman.

• Like 1

Is it so that the sculptures are pregnant goddesses with their hands on the belly as a sign of their pregnancy ?

Is it so that the remains of the dead, where brought to Göbekli Tepe ("Potbelly Hill") to be reborn by the great Anatolian goddesses ?

Did they believe their dead could be reborn by their pregnant women ?

y15lc.jpg

Pregnant woman? That's one interpretation.Easter-Island-Moai-Statues.jpg

Of the many discoveries made at the site, perhaps the most intriguing is that the builders likely did not live in settlements, but rather were hunters and gatherers. This is remarkable because, heretofore, most experts espoused the Neolithic Revolution; this theory held that in order to build monumental structures, a society needed to have the organization and resources that only comes about through agriculture and settlement. The evidence found at Gobekli Tepe, however, appears to be strong enough to overcome what had, until quite recently, been conventional archaeological wisdom.

First, unlike its arid landscape today, 11,000 years ago, the Sanliurfa region was a “paradise” that teemed with game, fruit, nut trees and wild grains, all readily available to collect without the need for farming. Second, archaeologists, who have been digging at the site for nearly 20 years, have yet to find any evidence of the hearths, cooking, houses and garbage dumps found in the typical Neolithic settlement. Third, rather, they found 100,000 bits of the bones of wild game animals like boar, gazelle, sheep and deer, as well as a variety of bird species; as one expert said: “It was pretty clear we were dealing with a hunter-gatherer site.”

Building on this evidence, the new theory turns the Neolithic revolution on its head: rather than monument building as a consequence of agriculture and settlement, it became the impetus for it. Proponents theorize that the enormous number of people required to build the complex, and who chose to remain near after it was completed, required more food than could reliably be collected with hunting and gathering. As one expert opined, “I think they began cultivating wild grasses on the hills” in order to feed the masses. Recent findings from other disciplines seem to back this theory up.

In the same way anthropologists have used DNA and other evidence to trace our common heritage to a lady who lived in Africa approximately 140,000 years ago, geneticists have traced the migration of plants as well. In particular, the earliest strains of domesticated wheat have been traced back to an ancient village that was only 20 miles from Potbelly Hill. In addition, the first pigs were domesticated in a village only 60 miles away, and the region also saw the first domestic sheep, goats and cattle. Other research has revealed that the practice of agriculture began in the region about 10,500 years ago, only a few centuries after construction at Gobekli Tepe began.

LINK: http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/06/the-mystery-of-gobekli-tepe/

• Like 2

Then again, maybe it was the world's first shopping mall.

Pregnant woman? That's one interpretation.Easter-Island-Moai-Statues.jpg

There are other similarities with the Easter Island statues, long fingers and no legs !

15qwvi8.jpg

1z6ghtv.jpg

Edited by Ove

I fell in love with Göbekli Tepe the first pics I ever saw of it. Fascinating dig site, one that will take many many decades to completely unearth. The stone carvings are just unbelievable for that age.

• Like 2

What I find just as interesting as the excellent animal carvings are the T shaped pillars. The skill and labour required to make, move and erect such a structure is an achievement for its time. An achievement that does not fit the time of its construction...

Great Mystery.

• Like 1

None of it fits our preconceptions that time period. It certainly makes one wonder about what is submerged under the Black Sea and on the continental shelves around the world. It's like we pick up a book about early civilization wth the first half of it's pages ripped out.

• Like 1

They've only excavated a fraction of the site. This is my kind of Unexplained Mystery.

Another indication, that this has something to do with birth, are the depiction of sitting newborn vultures.

70ulwg.jpg4he8zm.jpg2095cup.jpg5xk31x.jpg

Edited by Ove

What I find just as interesting as the excellent animal carvings are the T shaped pillars. The skill and labour required to make, move and erect such a structure is an achievement for its time. An achievement that does not fit the time of its construction...

Great Mystery.

Ancient Aliens! :P

Another indication, that this has something to do with birth, are the depiction of sitting newborn vultures.

70ulwg.jpg4he8zm.jpg2095cup.jpg5xk31x.jpg

Those are clearly T-Rexes living side by side with man - just ask Ken Ham about it.

Could be pointing out the importance of the lower Dan Tien for health and longevity.

Maybe portraying two different birds.The upper bird with a hooked beak is a vulture. The lower adult birds with long legs maybe Demoiselle Cranes and their chicks denoting a predator-prey relationship.

Remember when there was just no possible way any major stone structures could be older than 6000 BC?

Speaking in absolutes, especially regarding ancient history, is folly.