Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bruising

skree55

Given that it is relatively easy (and relatively common) that folks give themselves bruises during the night due to dreams/nightmares.. and there is no easy way to absolutely determine the exact cause given you are asleep and all....... So, "unknown" it is..

Last time it happened to me was about 5 months ago when I also fell out of bed during a very lucid dream of fighting to defend someone... Even tho I didn't actually see when I got the bruise, I'm pretty sure that hitting the bedside table on the way down was the cause.. I don't dream often (that I remember..) but when I do, I do it properly. :D

I would imagine that most such bruising is simply unreported and never gets seen by a doctor. I'm good with that, so doctors can spend their time on genuinely worthy cases..

• Like 1

I agree with C's comments.

Also, we should consider, that many bruises may not actually happen whilst sleeping. Some bruising can happen by bumping into objects, during on way and back from the bathroom when awoken at night, which we may not remember.

We can also bump into objects during day, and although we may not feel much pain but can bruise easily.

• Like 1

Thanks for the couple of responses. I bring this up because after letting the pain go for a few days, the bruising had started. I went in to the hospital ER and was xrayed, and the arm had an extensive ultrasound. Blood work was done, and the results were that I had no coagulation issues, no clotting, no outside sign of trauma as cause, no circulation problems, no cellulitis issues. The ER doctor on duty and the staff as baffled about the 4 bruises on the underside of the forearm elbow almost to wrist and the slight sign of one on the top of the arm. No reason could be found for this. Hence my asking.

I bruise all the time. Half the time I have no idea. No, I don't imbibe, just easily bruised. It usually doesn't hurt, then I find one. Weird.

Thanks for the couple of responses. I bring this up because after letting the pain go for a few days...

?? I'm totally confused. Please read the two posts you have made, and you will see that you haven't said anything about what led up to this. Pain from what? What sort of pain and where?

.. the bruising had started. I went in to the hospital ER

Maybe your ER's are different to ours (overcrowded and really only for extreme (life-threatening) stuff) but that must have been mighty painful or extraordinary bruising. Pictures?

and was xrayed, and the arm had an extensive ultrasound. Blood work was done, and the results were that I had no coagulation issues, no clotting, no outside sign of trauma as cause, no circulation problems, no cellulitis issues.

Now, IANAD (I am not a doctor)... but I'd like to see that report.. I'm a little surprised you would get that amount of tests (xray, ultrasound and blood'work'?) just for a bruise, even if it was large. Plus:

- there doesn't need to outside signs of trauma for bruising. The bruise is the sign.

- don't see how circulation problems would cause localised bruising - it can cause discolorations, but they don't look like a bad bruise afaik.

- cellulitis, again, does not really look like bruising

The ER doctor on duty and the staff as baffled about the 4 bruises on the underside of the forearm elbow almost to wrist and the slight sign of one on the top of the arm. No reason could be found for this. Hence my asking.

I'd suggest hypnosis, so you can remember the incident that you have now forgotten or was in a lucid dream. I'm only half joking.. :)

Can I ask if you believe in the paranormal, and perhaps do you want it to be paranormal?