Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Could NASA Launch a Secret Moon Mission?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1    BFB

BFB

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:54 AM

The new film "Apollo 18" is like "The Blair Witch Project" of space travel flicks, couched as found footage shot by NASA astronauts during a secret mission to the moon in 1973. In the story, the astronauts encounter unfriendly lunar aliens, chaos ensues and NASA forever hushes the whole thing up.

It's science fiction, of course: History has it that Apollo 18, along with 19 and 20, was canceled Apollo 17 was NASA's final lunar mission. But the new film will surely stoke conspiratorial fires about the agency's secret activities. Might NASA really have launched a secret human spaceflight during the Apollo era, without anyone noticing it?

The "Apollo 18" trailer includes a snippet in which the astronauts are communicating with the Department of Defense (DoD), suggesting that it is involved in the secret mission. (The astronauts, however, are decked out in NASA gear and communicate with personnel in Houston, the location of NASA's mission control center.) Filmmakers might be playing off of the fact that the DoD's space program is much more secretive than NASA's, making the premise slightly more conceivable (though more confusing, too).

"The space budget at the Pentagon is much bigger than NASA's budget," Nelson said. "They launch missions all the time and they don't reveal hardly any of it. They have their own launch pad next to NASA's in Florida, and another launch pad in California."

Could NASA Launch a Secret Moon Mission?

"Its not true, before my brain says so" - BFB

#2    Keosen

Keosen

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 242 posts

• Cynical skeptic, caution advised

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:21 AM

Clinton could not keep secret an adventure, Watergate revealed but yeah a secret moon landing involving thousands of people, suppliers,companies etc could be kept secret, for sure.

Feel free to bulll**** me, but do it in a way that would take me more than 5 minutes to debunk you.
If one person has an imaginary friend, it's crazy, If many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion
The only truly mystical thing in this world is he mystical human hunger for bull****

#3    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• 1,647 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

Short answer: NO.

#4    TheMcGuffin

TheMcGuffin

Government Agent

• 3,965 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

View PostObviousman, on 07 September 2011 - 08:43 AM, said:

Maybe, if it was done by the military and not NASA.  Wouldn't the Soviets and other countries have noticed it though?  How could they keep all those other governments quiet?  How could they have prevented all journalists and sky watchers around the world from not picking it up?

It's the same thing with UFOs: they can't.  Someone, somewhere is always going to talk, so what would be the cover story that would provide plausible deniability?  What kind of smokescreens and disinformation would have to be put out so that anyone who questioned the official denials could have been written off as a loony and conspiracy buff?  In many ways, it would be similar to the UFO problem.

"The stuff that dreams are made of"

#5    Obviousman

Obviousman

Spaced out and plane crazy

• 1,647 posts

• "Truth needs no defence. Nobody - NOBODY - can ever take the footsteps I made on the surface of the Moon away from me."
    Gene Cernan, Apollo 17

Posted 07 September 2011 - 09:50 AM

Again: No. You'd have to have a massive area with no people, and no air traffic, with no radar. Even then, Russian and other countries launch detection systems would pick up the launch. So, short answer: no.

#6    mitchall

mitchall

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 138 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:19 AM

Again: No. You'd have to have a massive area with no people, and no air traffic, with no radar. Even then, Russian and other countries launch detection systems would pick up the launch. So, short answer: no.

SAYS YOU !!!!!!!

#7    ScienceDominates

ScienceDominates

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 139 posts

• Warning: Contains Mature Themes, War Footage

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:30 AM

View Postmitchall, on 07 September 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

SAYS YOU !!!!!!!
Well there is some weight to his comments.. consider the discovery of gamma ray bursts..

Gamma-ray bursts were first observed in the late 1960s by the U.S. Vela satellites, which were built to detect gamma radiation pulses emitted by nuclear weapons tested in space. The United States suspected that the USSR might attempt to conduct secret nuclear tests after signing the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty in 1963. On July 2, 1967, at 14:19 UTC, the Vela 4 and Vela 3 satellites detected a flash of gamma radiation unlike any known nuclear weapons signature.[4] Uncertain what had happened but not considering the matter particularly urgent, the team at the Los Alamos Scientific Laboratory, led by Ray Klebesadel, filed the data away for investigation. As additional Vela satellites were launched with better instruments, the Los Alamos team continued to find inexplicable gamma-ray bursts in their data. By analyzing the different arrival times of the bursts as detected by different satellites, the team was able to determine rough estimates for the sky positions of sixteen bursts[4] and definitively rule out a terrestrial or solar origin. The discovery was declassified and published in 1973 as an Astrophysical Journal article entitled "Observations of Gamma-Ray Bursts of Cosmic Origin".[5]

https://secure.wikim..._bursts#History
https://secure.wikim..._burst_research

and this stuff is from the 60s.. So I think this is fine evidence that there are satellites up there to monitor a bunch of different things that might lift off and such, and from different countries.

If you know you can access the evidence then there's no need to take it on faith. If you're not going to teach yourself to understand it (which is fair), then it's more trust than faith.
Never substitute fear for reason.
Zooniverse - Participate in actual science.

#8    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Alien Abducter

• 4,477 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

View Postmitchall, on 07 September 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

SAYS YOU !!!!!!!

Watertight argument you have there.

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#9    Lilly

Lilly

Forum Divinity

• 16,113 posts

• "To thine own self be true" William Shakespeare

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:41 AM

View PostObviousman, on 07 September 2011 - 08:43 AM, said:

Sometimes minimalism is all one needs...good answer. :)

I can see it now...the authorities will simply say: "No one is to look up today, and if you live near Cape Canaveral/Kennedy please disregard any humongous rocket blasts".  :rolleyes:

"Ignorance is ignorance. It is a state of mind, not an opinion." ~MID~

"All that live must die, passing through nature into eternity" ~Shakespeare~ Posted Image

#10    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Every rocket launch draws a crowd. Even a launch system that pushes a shuttle just to low Earth Orbit causes tremors that can be felt iin an area greater than two miles.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#11    Keosen

Keosen

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 242 posts

• Cynical skeptic, caution advised

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:36 PM

View PostShadowSot, on 07 September 2011 - 01:35 PM, said:

Every rocket launch draws a crowd. Even a launch system that pushes a shuttle just to low Earth Orbit causes tremors that can be felt iin an area greater than two miles.
Can you please stop using rational arguments?
:P

Feel free to bulll**** me, but do it in a way that would take me more than 5 minutes to debunk you.
If one person has an imaginary friend, it's crazy, If many people have the same imaginary friend it's religion
The only truly mystical thing in this world is he mystical human hunger for bull****

#12    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:24 PM

View PostKeosen, on 07 September 2011 - 01:36 PM, said:

Can you please stop using rational arguments?
:P
I cannot, the worm in my brain commands me so.  :blink:

Oh... wait.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
-Terry Pratchett

#13    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,549 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

If you've ever been anywhere on Florida's east coast during a shuttle launch, you'd know the answer is a resounding NO.

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#14    ShadowSot

ShadowSot

Stinky Cheese

• 6,874 posts

• Oops.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 02:42 PM

View PostRafterman, on 07 September 2011 - 02:30 PM, said:

If you've ever been anywhere on Florida's east coast during a shuttle launch, you'd know the answer is a resounding NO.
Yep, as a kid I saw the last shuttle go up to Mir. It was amazing on so many levels.

-Terry Pratchett

#15    Stellar

Stellar

Forum Divinity

• 14,834 posts

• The objective of war is not to die for your country. It's to make the other son of a b**** die for his!
    -Patton

Posted 07 September 2011 - 03:20 PM

And just what exactly is stopping them from launching from a secluded location and claiming it to be a satellite launch?

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent."

----Seraphina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users