Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 2 votes

Texas FORMALLY requests secession

• Please log in to reply
277 replies to this topic

#1    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

http://www.dallasnew...se-response.ece

Texas has asked to secede before ,or has dalied with the notion .
This request actually came from governor Rick Perry ,and this is the moron who lost to Obama last time.
Sour grapes .
(Yes I know he didnt run against him,but he was the candidate that was the comic relief of the last election)
These idiots do realize they will now all need passports ,to go into other states if they do this..
I think its time for Obama to tighten immigration laws,and see how they like it,if they need a visa to visit relatives in other states .
Morons .

Edited by Simbi Laveau, 13 November 2012 - 04:10 AM.

Miss me?

#2    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

It's not just Texas. More than a dozen states have residents petitioning for the same thing. And people asking for such a thing are far from "idiots" or "morons." They are excercising the rights they have as Americans to do such things.

The ones who are foolish are those who willingly give up their freedoms and then criticize those who actually recognize the rights they have and rightfully expect the government to act in accordance to those laws.

How do you think the United States came to be in the first place? It wasn't because the people blindly accepted what was being dictated to them. It's because they dared to challenge those "in charge."

#3    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

Good one Simbi. :yes:

#4    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,395 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

Cracks showing?

Guess it wont be the United states anymore..

DSA! Disunited that is..

Mind you, I'm not american, but I get the feeling this is just politicising.

#5    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

View PostLeft-Field, on 13 November 2012 - 04:13 AM, said:

It's not just Texas. More than a dozen states have residents petitioning for the same thing. And people asking for such a thing are far from "idiots" or "morons." They are excercising the rights they have as Americans to do such things.

The ones who are foolish are those who willingly give up their freedoms and then criticize those who actually recognize the rights they have and rightfully expect the government to act in accordance to those laws.

How do you think the United States came to be in the first place? It wasn't because the people blindly accepted what was being dictated to them. It's because they dared to challenge those "in charge."

The other petitions are not formal ,from the local state government. Those petitions are still from the public. This is from the governors office directly .
It started as a grass roots thing,but now its for real .

Miss me?

#6    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,032 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:19 AM

The federal government has to acknowledge the petitions, the individuals who wrote and signed it. The state isn't involved.'now more than ever our country needs strong leadership from states like Texas' Perry says. He's neither endorsing it not supporting it, he's giving a politicians answer.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#7    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Well, that's fine, but as I pointed-out on a similar topic, the US Congress must also vote to agree on a state seceession from the US, just like the US Congress must vote on a regions petition to be included in the US umbrella.

#8    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 13 November 2012 - 04:06 AM, said:

http://www.dallasnew...se-response.ece

Texas has asked to secede before ,or has dalied with the notion .
This request actually came from governor Rick Perry ,and this is the moron who lost to Obama last time.
Sour grapes .
(Yes I know he didnt run against him,but he was the candidate that was the comic relief of the last election)
These idiots do realize they will now all need passports ,to go into other states if they do this..
I think its time for Obama to tighten immigration laws,and see how they like it,if they need a visa to visit relatives in other states .
Morons .

It won't happen:

The Presidential Proclamation declaring peace between the United States and Texas after the Civil War, dated August 20, 1866, states very clearly in the following passage that no state had the right to leave the Union (emphasis added in all capitals):

And whereas,

the President of the United States, by further proclamation issued on the second day of April, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-six, did promulgate and declare, that there no longer existed any armed resistance of misguided citizens, or others, to the authority of the United States in any, or in all the States before mentioned, excepting only the State of Texas, and did further promulgate and declare that the laws could be sustained and enforced in the several States before mentioned, except Texas, by the proper civil authorities, State, or Federal, and that the people of the said States, except Texas, are well and loyally disposed, and have conformed or will conform in their legislation to the condition of affairs growing out of the amendment to the Constitution of the United States, prohibiting slavery within the limits and jurisdiction of the United States;

And did further declare in the same proclamation THAT IT IS THE MANIFEST DETERMINATION OF THE AMERICAN PEOPLE THAT NO STATE, OF ITS OWN WILL, HAS A RIGHT OR POWER TO GO OUT OF OR SEPARATE ITSELF FROM, OR BE SEPARATED FROM THE AMERICAN UNION; and that, therefore, each State ought to remain and constitute an integral part of the United States;

On March 30, 1870, Congress passed the Act to admit the State of Texas to Representation in the Congress of the United States. Likewise, this act contains no language that would allow Texas to unilaterally withdraw from the United States.

https://www.tsl.stat...question11.html

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#9    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 13 November 2012 - 04:16 AM, said:

The other petitions are not formal ,from the local state government. Those petitions are still from the public. This is from the governors office directly.

It started as a grass roots thing,but now its for real.

In an article I just read before this thread I believe that if the other petitions get 25,000 signatures within a month then they become formal as well.

Whether any of them reach that count is yet to be known, and in all likelihood these petitions won't lead to any states achieving secession, but I do find them notable do to what they show regarding how many Americans are unhappy with its current leadership.

Edited by Left-Field, 13 November 2012 - 04:30 AM.

#10    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:24 AM

News to me, and I live there. It's not serious. But if it did ever happen, the U.S. would lose the world's largest and arguably best medical center, a lot of important businesses and jobs people flocked to when the economic crisis was at its worse elsewhere, among other things...

Edited by Cybele, 13 November 2012 - 04:30 AM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#11    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,395 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

View Postcormac mac airt, on 13 November 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

*evil Professor mode*

Does Texas have nukes?

#12    cormac mac airt

cormac mac airt

Telekinetic

• 7,266 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

View PostProfessor T, on 13 November 2012 - 04:28 AM, said:

*evil Professor mode*

Does Texas have nukes?

Great idea, slit their throats to spite their face. I don't see that happening either.

cormac

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians. --  Plato's Timaeus

#13    me-wonders

me-wonders

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 557 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:34 AM

I thought Lincoln and the Civil War settled the issue about the United States being an undivided union?    The United States came about by agreement.  This was a new social order and political system quite different from England or any other European country at the time.

However, the Texas 2012 agenda included preventing public schools from teaching the higher order thinking skills, and we might have good reasons for letting Texas go its own way.   But removing all our military bases and other government supported industries from Texas to other states, might not be in the best interest of Texans.  They still have oil, but that might be enough to maintain the standard of living they expect.

#14    shaddow134

shaddow134

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

• "I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Xenocrates

Well i've never seen a case of sour grapes as big as this,Obama got re-elected,time to move on and get over it.

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schulz

#15    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,155 posts

It doesn't matter, in and of itself, if 100% of the population of a US state votes to seperate. The final action MUST be approved by Congress.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users