Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Should victims have a say on punishment?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: Should victims have a say on punishment for the criminal? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Should victims have a say on punishment for the criminal?

1. Yes (14 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (6 votes [30.00%])

Percentage of vote: 30.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:58 AM

When a crime is committed, any crime...assault, theft, murder, etc... should the victim or victims be able to co-decide with the court on the punishment of the criminal?

#2    Vaise

Vaise

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts

• http://www.youtube.com/user/VaiseShepard/videos

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:56 AM

No a punishment for a crime should be constant, i feel if one thief got worse crime cause the victem said so compared to anotehr crime it just promotes unfairness in the system

Posted Image

I’d rather trust and regret than doubt and regret:- Kirito

#3    notoverrated

notoverrated

O.O

• 1,244 posts

• courage > scooby

Posted 28 February 2013 - 09:12 AM

sure wat could go wrong :P?

If your not after beauty, then why are you even drawing breath?

#4    Bavarian Raven

Bavarian Raven

Psychic Spy

• 1,572 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes. It's only fair. They ruined your life, you should have at least a say in the ruinment of their life. :yes:

#5    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:47 PM

How would you ask a murder victim? Would they ask their family?

Posted Image

~MEH~

#6    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:03 PM

I voted yes but only regarding a guilty verdict of a capital offense where the victim(s) family would have the opportunity to decide on life imprisonment or the death penalty.

As far as lessor crimes, there are guide lines in place for punishments that, although at times lax, seem to be exceptable ,generally, to most people involved.

For example, I don't think that allowing a distraught husband and his wife,a rape vicitm to sentence the guilty party to casturation and life imprisonment would really serve justice (even though that is what I would want if it was my wife)

Edited by praetorian-legio XIII, 28 February 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#7    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:07 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 28 February 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

For example, I don't think that allowing a distraught husband of a rape vicitm to sentence the guilty party to casturation and life imprisonment would really serve justice (even though that is what I would want if it was my wife)
Gets the monster off the streets, for life, and even if he makes appeal, he's got no fun bags.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#8    pallidin

pallidin

Telekinetic

• 7,392 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:34 PM

Make a statement? Yes. They certainly have the right.

Co-decide actual punishment? No. Too much emotion.

Just my opinion.

#9    rashore

rashore

Telekinetic

• 7,065 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:36 PM

I had to come down on the no side. I think that victims and their families should be able to speak up on what they would like sentencing to be to the courts, but I don't think they should have an actual say in the sentencing.
There is that whole eighth amendment thing, and I think it likely that a lot of victims might step over the line there. And we already have a lot of law stuff about sentencing.

#10    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 10,511 posts

• I reckon so.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 07:05 PM

Nope.  Vengeance would replace justice.

#11    Render

Render

Psychic Spy

• 2,080 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:58 PM

View PostHasina, on 28 February 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

How would you ask a murder victim? Would they ask their family?

Yeah that's what i meant.

There have been many cases where for example, a person abused and killed a mother and father's children. Sometimes these criminals are released back on the street and controversy follows. But the court states that this person is ready to be released back in society.
While the family can only say that they don't feel justice because they are not ready yet.
So on which side is a best to error?
Should the family still have a say in this or just be dismissed because the law is what it is and they just have to deal with it ?

#12    sjlennon

sjlennon

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 12:51 AM

crime victims and their families, if the crime victims are dead, can make victim impact statements in court, which i think is a big help to them if they choose to make one.  they are allowed to say how badly their lives are affected by the guilty defendant's actions against them.

#13    Detective Mystery 2014

Detective Mystery 2014

Poltergeist

• 2,521 posts

• Mysteries are tomorrow's histories.

Posted 06 March 2013 - 04:39 AM

It's tempting to give some victims, of egregiously heinous crimes, carte blanche. Such input might enter the territory of cruel and unusual, though. What if there was a list of constitutional, just punishments from which they could choose that would benefit them? They would receive appropriate, fair compensation within legal guidelines that were drawn up by the court before the perpetrator even thought about their crime.

There is one reality with billions of versions.

#14    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:03 AM

It's too easy to order some nasty things when you have a large group on your back and no consequence or risk involved. So I said no.

if they had to do it themselves on equal grounds like in a gladiator pit, I'd say sure, but people are usually too cowardly to do that.

#15    Mikko-kun

Mikko-kun

New life

• 1,477 posts

• Observation, individual resourcefulness... what would we be without them?

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

Consider this from those victims' and their closed ones' point of view who dont want to have anything at all to do with the perpetrator. Asking them any more than what's necessary, and this isn't necessary, wont do them any good. Asking this also feeds the idea and emotions related to vengeance, which also doesn't do any good to anyone. If you want to take vengeange, risk sentence and commit a crime or hire someone to commit a crime or a legal yet hurting act towards the perpetrator. Or we could use a law that allowed pre-agreed duels to death, if both parties agreed.

People just dont do crimes without some sort of previous continuum of bad experiences and feelings. You should focus more on making the world a better place from those aspects and less on instigating people for that stuff.

I've been born again 31,8,2014 approximately 21:35 local time. A moment free of clutter in the mind, emancipating myself like an escapist, allowing myself to breathe life in a stronger, less physical level... though it does resonate to physical world. It's the oomph.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users