Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Pope Francis Names 800 New Saints In One Go

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,611 posts

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:40 PM

That part was explained clearly in redhen's post and linked article.

Do you know if that has ever been done before? Precedent is what I was wondering about.

#17    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

• 'The light of the world'

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:57 PM

Apologies, I missed redhen's post.

I don't think this is setting a precedent. The Pope has only to make a declaration of martyrdom, a certification that the venerable gave his or her life voluntarily as a witness for the faith. It just happened that there were 813.. I can't find any information on such a large group of Catholics being canonised together, but maybe this is just a one off event in time. The Pope obviously decided that they should be canonised together as they died together, which would make perfect sense to me.

"Love one another as I have loved you" John 15:9-17

#18    Copen

Copen

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:35 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 18 May 2013 - 04:28 PM, said:

If the Pope wishes to recognise someone as a Saint it's his prerogative. You're NOT Catholic so what's your beef? How does it affect your life? How does it affect your faith? Copen are you a Saint? :no:

Hey, you are right. You Catholics worship the Pope in false spirit and untruths all you want to. Since the scriptures say we are not to esteem one Christian over another nor to set special honors on one over another, thought you just might want to know. Paul didn't always spout compliments. He named names and told how they went against his teachings and caused many Christians to be led astray. The broad way is wide enough for lots of company. I'm sure you have lots of company. So be it.
God bless us all is my prayer.

#19    Copen

Copen

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 05:38 PM

View PostStar of the Sea, on 18 May 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

Apologies, I missed redhen's post.

I don't think this is setting a precedent. The Pope has only to make a declaration of martyrdom, a certification that the venerable gave his or her life voluntarily as a witness for the faith. It just happened that there were 813.. I can't find any information on such a large group of Catholics being canonised together, but maybe this is just a one off event in time. The Pope obviously decided that they should be canonised together as they died together, which would make perfect sense to me.
It is perfectly reasonable to mention those martyred for Christ and for the Word; but they were saints before they were martyred or even if they were not martyred. He's just trying to get everybody to like him, follow him, worship him for being sooooooooooooo nice.
God bless

#20    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,881 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

View PostCopen, on 25 May 2013 - 05:35 PM, said:

Hey, you are right. You Catholics worship the Pope in false spirit and untruths all you want to. Since the scriptures say we are not to esteem one Christian over another nor to set special honors on one over another, thought you just might want to know. Paul didn't always spout compliments. He named names and told how they went against his teachings and caused many Christians to be led astray. The broad way is wide enough for lots of company. I'm sure you have lots of company. So be it.

Copen you make me smile! Now we worship the Pope :w00t:  But it was okay for the early martyrs to be recognised, but by whom? God bless you too in your search for the truth :tu:

#21    Star of the Sea

Star of the Sea

Pienso en ti siempre

• 1,881 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:51 PM

View PostCopen, on 25 May 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

It is perfectly reasonable to mention those martyred for Christ and for the Word; but they were saints before they were martyred or even if they were not martyred. He's just trying to get everybody to like him, follow him, worship him for being sooooooooooooo nice.
God bless

Sheesh Copen, you have a convoluted way of thinking :unsure2:

#22    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,611 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Could you provide scriptural evidence for this?

It seems a way to be exclusionary and judge others for their actions.  Romans 2:1 seems quite clear that we do not have the authority to judge others. Romans 2:16 tells us specifically who does have that authority.

If one believes in their mind that only they and those who agree with them are on the right path and everyone else will not go to heaven then they are indeed judging others.

View PostCopen, on 25 May 2013 - 05:38 PM, said:

God bless

I am certain it was not done just to "get everybody to like him". It still seems like a fantastic first leaving me with great speculation as to why this precedent was set. While some might simply take it for granted and dismiss my awe it still seems something quite special to me and I would like to know the rationale behind it.

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 25 May 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#23    Copen

Copen

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:50 AM

View PostLeave Britney alone!, on 25 May 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Could you provide scriptural evidence for this?

It seems a way to be exclusionary and judge others for their actions.  Romans 2:1 seems quite clear that we do not have the authority to judge others. Romans 2:16 tells us specifically who does have that authority.

If one believes in their mind that only they and those who agree with them are on the right path and everyone else will not go to heaven then they are indeed judging others.

No quite sure what you want scripture of. You want to know who Paul mentioned in an unkind judgmental way??? Well, how about II Tim. 1:15 "...all they which are in Asia be turned away from me; of whom are Phygellus and Hermogenes." II Tim. 2:17: "And their word will eat as doth a canker (spreading sore); of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;" II Tim. 4: 10 & 14 "Demas hath forsaken me...""Alexander the coppersmith did me much evil; THE LORD REWARD HIM ACCORDING TO HIS WORKS:" Sounds like Paul made a judgement call there.

Are you wanting to know where we are told not to esteem one Christian over another? There are more which I can give  if you want; for for now how about Revelation 22:8 "I fell down to worship before the feet of the angel which shewed me these things. when saith he unto me, SEE THOU DO IT NOT: for I am thy fellowserfant and of thy brethren of the prophets, and of them which keep the sayings of this book: worship God."

If you ever get into OLD church history books you might find that Catholic priests have declared other Christians to be atheists and had them killed because they would not kneel down and kiss their ring. Does the Pope get lots of kneeled Christians kissing his ring? Oh yes!!! That's because he is better than the other Christians. He deserves their worship. - - - WRONG!!!

#24    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

• 3,611 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 03:06 AM

The part in bold above specifically. Any scriptural evidence for that?

Edited by Leave Britney alone!, 27 May 2013 - 03:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users