Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Photoshop or Real?

Hawken

Not sure if this is the appropriate section for this but can you look at the image and tell if it's real or computer enhanced?

post-103357-0-66519200-1460320956_thumb.

• Like 2

Looks real to me, there are other people here that use things to check pictures I don't have though. I have seen crystal clear lakes and streams a few times. Harder to find now, but I have seen some that clear.

• Like 6

Genuine, there's water like that here in Oz, basically it's so pure there zero refraction.

• Like 5

It's real, the water is just so clean that it dosn't reflect light.

• Like 5

It's real, several Springs like that around here.

Silver Springs, not far from where I live, is so clear at the head I got Vertigo looking down.

• Like 6

That image reminds me of this one.

post-155080-0-59367700-1460323084_thumb.

Its an optical illusion by the way, not a photoshopped image.

Edited by Mark One
  • Like 4

The only thing that doesn't seem quite real to me is the shadowing. But I'd still say REAL.

Are you all 100% certain about your analysis? post-103357-0-85399400-1460331360_thumb.

• Like 1

Uh...its definitely real. Shes literally on a lake, its a greenish lake, the color makes it look like grass, but its a lake lol

Bad post, sorry. My browser is freaky!

Edited by DeeSember

Are you all 100% certain about your analysis? post-103357-0-85399400-1460331360_thumb.

No, no I am not, well maybe, kinda...Somewhat. :passifier:

Lighting angles - check, seem ok

Shadow lengths/angles - check, seem ok

Texture/noise variations - none obvious at that resolution

Edge effects - ditto

JPEG boundary misalignments - none that I can see..

A really competent photoshopper (eg me.. :D) could probably have knocked this up from a couple of other images and not been caught with any of the usual suspicious telltalles (I haven't listed all of them, need to keep a few up my sleeve).. but it seems pretty legit lookin' to me, and it would take a while to do it this well. Having said that, on the more advanced systems there are all sorts of tools to do things like the ripples etc...

And yes, on occasion I've seen lakes/springs with that sort of clarity and if the lighting is right (+ no wind, and a polariser can help), it can be just as spectacular and unreal looking as that image.

Added PS - I guess I should have asked - is this a test? If you already know either way, when will you be doin' the big reveal? :)

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 2

Not sure if this is the appropriate section for this but can you look at the image and tell if it's real or computer enhanced?

post-103357-0-66519200-1460320956_thumb.

I boated on a lake in Canada that was so crystal clear it was amazing. This looks like it could be genuine. Is it Memorex or real? I can't be sure, since there are some good Photoshop people out there.

• Like 1

Lighting angles - check, seem ok

Shadow lengths/angles - check, seem ok

Texture/noise variations - none obvious at that resolution

Edge effects - ditto

JPEG boundary misalignments - none that I can see..

A really competent photoshopper (eg me.. :D) could probably have knocked this up from a couple of other images and not been caught with any of the usual suspicious telltalles (I haven't listed all of them, need to keep a few up my sleeve).. but it seems pretty legit lookin' to me, and it would take a while to do it this well. Having said that, on the more advanced systems there are all sorts of tools to do things like the ripples etc...

And yes, on occasion I've seen lakes/springs with that sort of clarity and if the lighting is right (+ no wind, and a polariser can help), it can be just as spectacular and unreal looking as that image.

Added PS - I guess I should have asked - is this a test? If you already know either way, when will you be doin' the big reveal? :)

My bolding.

Yep.

100% real. I know because I read ChrLzs comment before I reported.

FOUL, you're basing it on ChrLzs post instead of you're own personal review. post-103357-0-97811600-1460348087_thumb.

• Like 1

100% real. I know because I read ChrLzs comment before I reported.

:D :D Your $5 cheque is in the mail, Barb..

• Like 1

I didn't get it there but it is the same pic. Yep, it's real. Hey ChrLzs. Did you take some college courses on photography

to determine the authenticity of an image?

• Like 1

Image is from Dr. Russell Schierling's Blog page about his trip to the Current River here: http://www.doctorsch...e-current-river

I think that pretty much seals it, given the other images showing the river clarity.

A hint for younger players... if you are using Google's Chrome browser, you can right click on an image and select "Search Google for Image", and Google will then go and hunt down similar looking images - it's a very powerful feature. In this case, in the spirit of it possibly being a test of skills, I decided not to do that and to simply play the game. If I was seriously out to bust someone for fakery, or perhaps stealing an image, that's one of the first things to check...

As an aside, there are a number of sites out there that claim to detect images which have been edited / 'photoshopped'. While some of them use genuine analysis techniques, most are pretty easy to fool and should not be relied upon. A good faker will outsmart most tests, if they really want to.

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

I didn't get it there but it is the same pic. Yep, it's real. Hey ChrLzs. Did you take some college courses on photography

to determine the authenticity of an image?

No, I taught those courses..! (forgive my ego, but it's sorta true.. :D)

I'm entirely self-taught, having had an intense interest in photography for over 50 years (was a professional wedding and portrait photographer for a big studio back in the 70s/80s) and then got right into digital imaging when it first began to become 'mainstream' in the 80s/90s. I used to teach photography and Photoshop at some adult technical colleges. I'm no artist, but I know my way around PS very well, and my special interests are 'Image Forensics' (in simple terms, analysing images to extract info or spot fakery) and also Photogrammetry (in simple terms, it's the black art of measuring stuff in 3-Dimensions from clues in a 2-Dimensional image).

I don't do it for a living, preferring to enjoy it as a hobby and to be one a dem self-proclaimed-experts on the Interwebz.. :)

Added.. BTW, to temper my immodest comments, I am only one of several excellent imaging experts here, and in particular I nods me head to Pericynthion, who is much better than me and is the reigning champion hereabouts (but he doesn't post very often..)

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Like 1

A hint for younger players... if you are using Google's Chrome browser, you can right click on an image and select "Search Google for Image", and Google will then go and hunt down similar looking images - it's a very powerful feature.

If you don't have Google Chrome, you can still copy/paste a picture URL into the picture of a camera in the far right of the Google Image search bar, which is what I did.

It will show you where else the exact image is found, along with other images that are visually similar.

• Like 1

FOUL, you're basing it on ChrLzs post instead of you're own personal review. post-103357-0-97811600-1460348087_thumb.

No no. I reviewed it. I just like to educate myself on a matter before responding.

• Like 1