Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Dragons

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16    Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen

El Lobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:51 PM

View PostCynical Sounds, on 24 May 2011 - 07:22 AM, said:

not as far as I know? I thought the only "dragons" in the bible were the leviathan and the pole serpent

also I'm well in the they didn't exist camp
Note the winky face.
You see, there's this fellow named the Draconic Chronicler that got banned a while ago...

Life is too short to waste on responsibilities. :)

#17    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,287 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 01:26 AM

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 24 May 2011 - 10:51 PM, said:

Note the winky face.
You see, there's this fellow named the Draconic Chronicler that got banned a while ago...
Banned, but not forgotten. Very interesting theory, if pushed a little to hard. Said he was coming out with a book on Dragons in Christianity in 2006, which no one has seen yet.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#18    Skeptic Chicken

Skeptic Chicken

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 12:50 PM

If electric eels exist, then why the heck not dragons? They could function like an eel. As they fly, walk, run, and whatnot, they create static electricity, then they spark the electricity in their mouths and ignite their breath fueled by their gas glands. Thats my thought anyways.

My User Name is a loving memory of how much I want to know about the worlds secrets, that I forgot to look up the definition of "skeptical" before I made my account.

#19    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

Only man to have fought Sasquatch. And lived...

• 15,163 posts

• ...highly unlikely, but not outside the realm of Extreme possibility.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:14 PM

View PostKing Fluffs, on 24 May 2011 - 06:52 PM, said:

This is a rather difficult topic to discuss due to the lack of evidence on both sides.

All i can say is, possibly.
All races across the world, many thousands of years ago, all reported some strange, flying reptilian creature.
From what ive heard, when the first accounts came into place there was no way these people could have contacted each other and simply made this beast up.

Id love it if they were real though...

Both sides? No. Just one side.

"Possibly" wouldnt be the best choice of words here.
I dont believe every race for the last few thousand years has had strange, flying, reptilian creatures in their stories (unless you have info on that).
Its likely these were made up, or at least concocted after seeing large reptiles, dino bones, etc.

the truth is out there....

#20    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 25 May 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

If electric eels exist, then why the heck not dragons? They could function like an eel. As they fly, walk, run, and whatnot, they create static electricity, then they spark the electricity in their mouths and ignite their breath fueled by their gas glands. Thats my thought anyways.

Thats one heck of a stretch when comparing it to the electric eel.

Id settle for what "reign of fire" did in the movie: two chemicals that ignite when  mixed together, so the dragon shoots both chemicals out at prey, the same way a cobra shoots venom, and it ignites.

#21    thewatchman7

thewatchman7

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts

• like joseph stalin, and ghandi,
    im the cult of personality!

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:25 PM

View PostAgent. Mulder, on 25 May 2011 - 02:20 PM, said:

Thats one heck of a stretch when comparing it to the electric eel.

Id settle for what "reign of fire" did in the movie: two chemicals that ignite when  mixed together, so the dragon shoots both chemicals out at prey, the same way a cobra shoots venom, and it ignites.

its a pretty poor defence mechanism in the fact that if you suffer damage to the "poison" glands your face explodes...

#22    Agent. Mulder

Agent. Mulder

• 15,163 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:29 PM

View Postthewatchman7, on 25 May 2011 - 02:25 PM, said:

its a pretty poor defence mechanism in the fact that if you suffer damage to the "poison" glands your face explodes...

I forget where exactly the made up gland was. However, i know it was separated by some distance from the other.
Who knows, maybe it has some "immunity" to it. The same way our stomaches developed for certain diets? I dunno.

Ugh. I cant believe im actually arguing for the existence of a dragon right now.

#23    Emin

Emin

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:33 PM

dragonz are real?  :mellow:

I am an Emin of truth!

#24    SlimJim22

SlimJim22

Alien Abducter

• 4,682 posts

• "As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being." Carl Jung

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:55 PM

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 24 May 2011 - 04:48 AM, said:

Aren't many Biblical figures actually Dragons, or something...?  ;)

You may be thinking of the Seraphim.

A seraph (pl. seraphim; Hebrew: שְׂרָפִים śərāfm, singular שָׂרָף śārāf; Latin: seraphi[m], singular seraph[us]; Greek: σεραφείμ) is a type of celestial being in Judaism and Christianity. Literally "burning ones", the word is normally a synonym for serpents when used in the Hebrew Bible, but they are mentioned in the Book of Isaiah as fiery six-winged beings attending on God. They appear again as celestial beings in an influential Hellenistic work, the Book of Enoch, and a little later in the Book of Revelation. They occupy the fifth of ten ranks of the hierarchy of angels in medieval and modern Judaism, and the highest rank in the Christian angelic hierarchy.

Seraphim, literally "burning ones", is the plural of "seraph", more properly sarap. The word sarap/seraphim appears three times in the Torah (Numbers 21:6-8, Deuteronomy 8:15) and four times in the Book of Isaiah (6:2-6, 14:29, 30:6). In Numbers and Deuteronomy the "seraphim" are serpents the association of serpents as "burning ones" is possibly due to the burning sensation of the poison.[1] Isaiah also uses the word in close association with words to describes snakes (nahash, the generic word for snakes, in 14:29, and efeh, viper, in 30:6).

Isaiah's vision of seraphim in the First Temple in Jerusalem is the sole instance in the Hebrew Bible of the word being used to describe celestial beings: there the winged "seraphim" attend God and have human attributes:[2] "... I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and His train filled the Hekhal (sanctuary). Above him stood the Seraphim; each had six wings; with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew." (Isaiah 6:13) In Isaiah's vision the seraphim cry continually to each other, "Holy, holy, holy, is YHWH of hosts: the whole earth is full of His glory" (verses 2-3) before carrying out an act of purification for the prophet (verses 6-7). It is possible that these are winged snake-beings, but given that the word "seraphim" is not attached as an adjective or modifier to other snake-words ("nahash," etc.), as is the case in every other occurrence of the word, it is more probable that they are variants of the "fiery" lesser deities making up God's divine court.[3]

"Seraphim" appear in the 2nd century B.C. Book of Enoch[4] where they are designated as drakones (δράκονες "serpents"), and are mentioned, in conjunction with the cherubim as the heavenly creatures standing nearest to the throne of God. In the late 1st century A.D. Book of Revelation (iv. 4-8) they are described as being forever in God's presence and praising Him constantly: "Day and night with out ceasing they sing: 'Holy, holy, holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come.'" They appear also in the Christian Gnostic text On the Origin of the World, described as "dragon-shaped angels".[5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraph

So this tradition of winged, fiery, serpents was integrated into Christianity of the west and we get stories of St George defeating the dragon and various other myths and legends of the Medieval period. It is more complex than that but I bet the description of the Seraph and dragons became confused over time.

Angels are dragons perhaps. Messiah as saviour is comparable to Nachash or serpent so I do see there been a connection.

"I belive no thing, I follow the Law of One. I am a Man-O'-Sion under construction."

#25    Drakester

Drakester

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

View PostSlimJim22, on 25 May 2011 - 02:55 PM, said:

You may be thinking of the Seraphim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seraph

So this tradition of winged, fiery, serpents was integrated into Christianity of the west and we get stories of St George defeating the dragon and various other myths and legends of the Medieval period. It is more complex than that but I bet the description of the Seraph and dragons became confused over time.

Angels are dragons perhaps. Messiah as saviour is comparable to Nachash or serpent so I do see there been a connection.

I think Soul Kitchen was thinking of the dragon that was worshipped as a living god by the Babylonians and that was eventually slain by Daniel. The dragon is never said to be a flying creature, but it could perfectly be a giant snake (python) or a crocodile. Remember that dragon comes from old greek for serpent/snake.

There's also the symbolic dragon that represents the Devil in both Genesis and the Apocalypse- once again, If I well recall, these were said described as serpents, not giant winged creatures. (Although since I'm not Christian I havent read the Bible many times...)

"He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed"

Albert Einstein

#26    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,945 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:18 PM

View PostSoul Kitchen, on 24 May 2011 - 10:51 PM, said:

Note the winky face.

Really he got banned?

Anyway I think the whole 'mistaking dino bones for dragons' is more likely than there being actual dragons flying around.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#27    Myles

Myles

Government Agent

• 3,956 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 09:09 PM

View PostSkeptic Chicken, on 25 May 2011 - 12:50 PM, said:

That's pretty cool.    I like your thinking.  
However I think dragons are completely fiction.   Wings were added because people realized without them, it didn't seem realistic enough for them to fly.   Dino bones and possibly large reptiles were exagerated through the years.  Imagine how a large Komodo would be exagerated through the years.

#28    UFO_Monster

UFO_Monster

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,029 posts

• 私は宇宙のガーディアンです

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:00 PM

I'd love for them to exist.

Posted Image

^Well, except for that one.

Posted Image
UFOs aren't always the alien's spacecraft...sometimes they are the aliens.

#29    Bracket

Bracket

Evil Monkey Genius

• 3,968 posts

• I'm the fourth wise monkey.

Posted 25 May 2011 - 11:38 PM

View PostUFO_Monster, on 25 May 2011 - 11:00 PM, said:

I'd love for them to exist.

Posted Image

^Well, except for that one.

Why? That's the best one!  :w00t:

I never doubted myself for a minute for I knew that my monkey-strong bowels were girded with strength, like the loins of a dragon ribboned with fat and the opulence of buffalo dung.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

*Note to self, need more henchman, good ones this time. Also, start auditions for new female lab assistant.

#30    Elric

Elric

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 07:25 PM

View PostBracket, on 25 May 2011 - 11:38 PM, said:

Why? That's the best one!  :w00t:

If that existed it would stand no match against modern technology.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users