Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Carrie remake

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,948 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I'm so sick of all of these remakes that I actually laughed when writers went on strike a few years ago.  You want more money for what? Not being able to come up with a fresh idea all by yourself? Pffft.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#17    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 5,354 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

View Postmissymoo999, on 29 March 2012 - 02:24 PM, said:

I wasn't implying it was a remake.I was just saying Hollywood sucks now,and all the movies are just dull,no matter how much money they sink into them.
This is why I had no problem not going to the movies for a month....
JC,being such an obvious reference to Jesus Christ,is what turned me off from just the coming attractions.

I actually went to the movies last night,but it was foreign,not hollyweed,but they of course,are already remaking it .
There's a gushing review of it on my blog .

Well... The author certainly made no attempt at equating John Carter with Jesus Christ... (Neither did the film makers actually...) Back when the story was written protagonists in almost all 'adventure stories' had "Manly" names... John, Jack, Mike, etc (Like Jack Armstrong)...  Carter was the last name of a friend - or so I was told...

I don't know why the movie people didn't call it "A Princess of Mars" like the book...

#18    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,266 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostTaun, on 29 March 2012 - 05:35 PM, said:

Well... The author certainly made no attempt at equating John Carter with Jesus Christ... (Neither did the film makers actually...) Back when the story was written protagonists in almost all 'adventure stories' had "Manly" names... John, Jack, Mike, etc (Like Jack Armstrong)...  Carter was the last name of a friend - or so I was told...

I don't know why the movie people didn't call it "A Princess of Mars" like the book...
I don't know,it seemed glaringly obvious.Stranger summoned to a planet from somewhere far away,to be a savior.
Is say its one of those things that was debated on book reports about it.

http://www.slate.com..._christian.html
Other people had the same impression

http://www.holyblasp.../bibleblasphemy

http://live.hollywoodjesus.com/?p=9762

Miss me?

#19    karmakazi

karmakazi

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

• Oh I am a giddy goat!

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:45 PM

I'm actually kind of excited about the remake of Carrie.  Bad as it was, I enjoyed the original, and I adore the actress from Kick Ass and Let Me In, so I'll be watching this... tho probably not in the theater since I don't do that unless the movie is an absolute must see for me.

“When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That’s my religion.” – Abraham Lincoln

“You must do the thing you think you cannot do.” – Eleanor Roosevelt

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it’s worth watching.” – Unknown

#20    GoSC

GoSC

HOSEA 1:10; 2:23

• 2,615 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:43 AM

I think it is a crummy idea, the Hitchcock obsessive Brian De Palma made a fine Carrie with Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, William Katt, Nancy Allen, P.J. Soles, John Travolta, etc.

With a young cast of up and coming talent how can you top that? You cant.

Hollywood needs better writers and needs to let classics remain classics not let their shine be dimmed by these shake and bake studio crud.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#21    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:57 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot Carrie already had a cruddy 1999 sequel The Rage: Carrie 2 and a cruddy 2002 TV movie remake.

"I charge thee in the sight of God, who giveth life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed the good confession; that thou keep the commandment, without spot, without reproach, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: which in its own times he shall show, WHO IS THE BLESSED AND ONLY POTENTE, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS; who only hath immortality, dwelling in light unapproachable; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be honor and power eternal. Amen" (I Tim 6:13-16).

#22    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

View Postdside, on 30 March 2012 - 02:57 AM, said:

Oh yeah, I forgot Carrie already had a cruddy 1999 sequel The Rage: Carrie 2 and a cruddy 2002 TV movie remake.
The original Carrie,is a cult classic.
I totally agree.
Hollyweed needs to get over itself.
They're renaming superman,AGAIN ....
Yah

Miss me?

#23    GoSC

GoSC

• 2,615 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

View Postmissymoo999, on 30 March 2012 - 05:11 AM, said:

The original Carrie,is a cult classic.
I totally agree.
Hollyweed needs to get over itself.
They're renaming superman,AGAIN ....
Yah

And besides, Brian De Palma tacked on that scare at the end which has become so classic.

#24    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

View Postdside, on 30 March 2012 - 05:25 AM, said:

And besides, Brian De Palma tacked on that scare at the end which has become so classic.
Damn autospell REMAKING superman,third time.I LOVE the guy tho.He was in The Tudors .Henry something.

Miss me?

#25    darkmoonlady

darkmoonlady

Psychic Spy

• 1,282 posts

• Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'-Shawshank Redemption/Life is a buffet and most poor suckers are starving to death-Auntie Mame

Posted 02 April 2012 - 04:40 AM

I think it's a perfect time to remake Carrie. In light of all the focus on bullying, Carrie was sort of ahead of it's time. If every person who got bullied had psychic powers we'd have a real mess on our hands and even with out powers it is still sad. Look at how many kids end their lives because they're bullied. I think done well this could really outshine the first. If you haven't watched it in a while it really is sort of dated. The music alone is what I think bugs me the most. I love Sissy Spacek in it, she's wonderful but some of the other characters were sort of diffrent than the book. I love Stephen King movies if they're done well (and some are and some aren't) so hopefully they'll try to improve on it. There was already a  tv remake and a sequel out a while back that was not great but it was sort of fun in a campy way.

“The beauty of religious mania is that it has the power to explain everything. Once God (or Satan) is accepted as the first cause of everything which happens in the mortal world, nothing is left to chance …or change... logic can be happily tossed out the window. Religious mania is one of the few infallible ways of responding to the worlds vagaries, because it totally eliminates pure accident. To the true religious maniac, it’s ALL on purpose” – Stephen King, The Stand

#26    Rik13

Rik13

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 112 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:45 PM

The fact that a film is dated is no justification to remake it and in most cases there is no need. The story is set in the 1970s,many classic films are set in a certain period of time which I think adds to the atmosphere of them.

I think the ideas for new ones ran out a while ago. The story lines on some of the old black & white films are better than many of the latest offerings which seem to rely heavily on ever more graphic violence, swearing and special effects, which is probably the treatment the new Carrie film will be getting.

#27    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

• 8,266 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:10 AM

View Postdarkmoonlady, on 02 April 2012 - 04:40 AM, said:

I think it's a perfect time to remake Carrie. In light of all the focus on bullying, Carrie was sort of ahead of it's time. If every person who got bullied had psychic powers we'd have a real mess on our hands and even with out powers it is still sad. Look at how many kids end their lives because they're bullied. I think done well this could really outshine the first. If you haven't watched it in a while it really is sort of dated. The music alone is what I think bugs me the most. I love Sissy Spacek in it, she's wonderful but some of the other characters were sort of diffrent than the book. I love Stephen King movies if they're done well (and some are and some aren't) so hopefully they'll try to improve on it. There was already a  tv remake and a sequel out a while back that was not great but it was sort of fun in a campy way.
I never thought of the bully aspect .Good point,but then,so many movies have this in it to a degree,but she is really really bullied.

Ever see Chocolate ?
It's a Thai movie with a girl named JiJa Yannin.
She's autistic,but kind of an idiot savant,and she sits around watching Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan movies all day.
She's not exactly picked on,but in a way.
Get where its going ?
Very cool flick.

Miss me?

#28    Hzovnx

Hzovnx

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:01 PM

Wasn't there already a Carrie remake a while ago? I think at the end she moved to Florida.. I'm not very excited about this. I'll probably end up watching it anyway though.

#29    Clyde the Glyde

Clyde the Glyde

Psychic Spy

• 1,861 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

A Carrie / Christine combo movie would be good.

#30    violetlight

violetlight

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:19 PM

Ugh, count me in as someone who is sick of these remakes...the same rehashed story is boring... :sleepy: I'd actually prefer seeing a prequel or something. What about the nutcase mom? What were her teen years like? lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users