Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 2 votes

Mystery bee deaths accelerate

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#31    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 37,157 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:43 PM

View Postdanielost, on 31 March 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Wild bees won't be able to step into the shoes of the farmed bees.  Bees, collect nector from one type of flower at a time.  That is why they can sell specilty honeys.

Not quite, as a specialty honey producer I can safely deny that: You have to collect the honey right after the bloom time and make sure that there is no other blooming plant in the area else you end up with adulterated specialty honey. And that ends up being an economic disaster: 99% thyme gets you 35 Euros a pound from the pharmaceutical industry, 90%-99% thyme gets you 35 Euros a kilo (a little over 2 pounds) from the cough drops manufacturers and anything below that gets you 5 Euros a pound or a season gone to hell.

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#32    Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostAndromedan Starseed 333, on 31 March 2013 - 04:25 PM, said:

wow this has humanity all written over it as for the person who said lets protect the companies and who cares if the bees die or certain food how ignorant and dumb to say the least can you be.

This comment would be true if Hilander comment wasn't totally dripping with sarcasm...

#33    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:51 PM

This is a scarier than the Mayan calendar, asteroid threats, and all the wackadoo 'end of the world' prophesies put together because it's real and happening now.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#34    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 31,308 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

The environmentalist should be happy.  The none native bees are dieing off.

I am a Mormon.  If I don't use Mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other Mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the Mormon faith. Thanks for caring and if you don't peace be with you.

#35    Malaria_Kidd

Malaria_Kidd

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

• "So if you're tired of the same old story, just turn some pages" REO Speedwagon of Champaign-Urbana, Illinois

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

It is good to see there are now 2 votes of 5 stars. I clicked off number 1. This is the sad state of our union in the States. In 2007 Earth Files with Linda Howe reported on the CCD Colony Colapse Disorder of the honeybee's decline.

I sent her an e-mail reporting that my logger neighbor did not see "wild bee trees" any more in the Fall of 1999. She get's a lot of mail so she may have missed reading it the two other times I sent it to her. Busy as a bee she was for her not to add a few more years to the decline sometimes blamed on Big Agra Chem's neo-nickinitoides! If that is the proper spelling.....

http://www.unexplain...pic=152891&st=0 SCANIA Hit! My "BIG BUMP"
in the night!

That true account is in Joshua P. Warren's book, "It Was A Dark and Creepy Night"

#36    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,593 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:39 PM

View PostSundew, on 31 March 2013 - 07:59 PM, said:

There were and are, many bee species in the Americas before the honeybee was introduced, its just that they are more efficient pollinators of European and African plants our main food crops, brought by Europeans as they colonized the world. They also produce honey in collectable quantity. Bumblebees, wood-boring bees, leaf-cutter bees, metallic green bees, stingless bees and others are found throughout North and South America but were not deemed to work as well as the honeybee. Bumblebees are efficient pollinators in some cases; I have two species of Tabebuia tree from South America in my yard and they produce copious amounts of seeds and are pollinated almost exclusively be bumblebees.

It may be that we increasingly have to rely on these other species to do the work of the honeybee until a cure is found. The bad news is that the Africanized honeybees have replaced many of the native bees in South and Central America. So we may be forced to use the AHB for pollination instead. They are aggressive, attack in mass, are difficult to work with and being just another variety of the domesticated honeybee are likely subject to some of the same health problems as well.

Thanks a lot Sundew, (& awest,rashore,danielost) very educational!    I knew there had to be   bees  in the Americas prior to 'colonization'   ...  didn't know honey bees are an import.

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#37    lightly

lightly

metaphysical therapist

• 6,593 posts

• "The future ain't what it used to be"
    Yogi Berra

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

View Postlightly, on 31 March 2013 - 11:39 PM, said:

Thanks a lot Sundew, (& awest,rashore,danielost) very educational! I knew there had to be   bees  in the Americas prior to 'colonization'   ...  didn't know honey bees are an import.

(or i forgot  lol  ... you'll see.)

Important:  The above may contain errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and other limitations.

#38    Sundew

Sundew

Poltergeist

• 2,221 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 01 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

View Postdanielost, on 31 March 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Wild bees won't be able to step into the shoes of the farmed bees.  Bees, collect nector from one type of flower at a time.  That is why they can sell specilty honeys.

It is true they are not a good replacement, however if it come to the point where all or most domesticated European honeybees have been killed off, it's either rely on native bees, Africanized honeybees or humans to hand pollinate our crops at a huge rise in cost of our produce. They already do this in some parts of Asia where the bees have been exterminated for crops like pears and apples. Can't remember if it was Japan or China, but there was a television documentary about the Colony Collapse Disease and humans in this area of Asia are now doing what bees have done naturally for thousands of years in order to produce fruit crops. It is labor intensive and drives up the costs of the fruit.

And while the loss of honey would be tragic, much more serious to our food supply is the loss of many now common items in our grocery stores: apples, pears, peaches, melons, squash, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, almonds, mangos and many other edible fruits, nuts and vegetables pollinated by bees. You also need bees to produce seeds for next years crops of broccoli, lettuce and other salad greens, cabbage, herbs, onions, etc. Unless you want the plant based part of your diet consisting only of wind pollinated crops like wheat, rice and corn, we must save the bees.

#39    NiteMarcher

NiteMarcher

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 354 posts

• Until We Meet Again--Peace, Health & Wealth to You

Posted 08 April 2013 - 05:15 AM

It smells heavily like "Mansanto"..... :yes:

Believe what you want and I'll believe whatever I want...it's an open field, and
everyone is given a chance at making a home run...

#40    AsteroidX

AsteroidX

Government Agent

• 3,570 posts

• it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:12 AM

You wont stop it unless you replace the ones that dont care enough to stop destroying the honey bees.

#41    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,595 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:45 PM

Or just replace the humans for the everything.
Lets face it without us, within a few years the natural order of things would come about and Earth would be an amazing place, balanced and harmonious.

Posted Image

#42    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postlightly, on 31 March 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Very bad news. I wonder if, rather than a mystery.. there is a plan?

Tunnel vision plan... spray more poison or fertilizers on the ground to make best of products/food, on the other hand they are destroying the same exact ecosystem that is making food avaible at the first place...

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

SHTFPlan Source for all sorts of news and updates!

#43    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

• "Why not take what seems to me the only chance of escaping what is otherwise the sure destruction"

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 13 April 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

Or just replace the humans for the everything.
Lets face it without us, within a few years the natural order of things would come about and Earth would be an amazing place, balanced and harmonious.

That would be a nice sight to see ... but until we the virus are here only destruction,pollution, industralization, death... everything just so we can live... I hope there is an end to this..natural or unnatural as long as it is end.

Since many people live in big cities they most likely forgot the air, sight, positive vibes from a forest growing in spring, with warm sun and everything to go along... same goes for mountains or seas... It is just simply breathtaking even we you see that forest everyday, it is something special at this time. You should be in one to experience that..

RSOE EDIS - Emergency and Disaster Information Service App is available on site!

#44    Mistydawn

Mistydawn

Feathered Feline

• 11,595 posts

• Dethpicably quackers!!!

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

View PostTesla II, on 13 April 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

That would be a nice sight to see ... but until we the virus are here only destruction,pollution, industralization, death... everything just so we can live... I hope there is an end to this..natural or unnatural as long as it is end.

Since many people live in big cities they most likely forgot the air, sight, positive vibes from a forest growing in spring, with warm sun and everything to go along... same goes for mountains or seas... It is just simply breathtaking even we you see that forest everyday, it is something special at this time. You should be in one to experience that..

Tesla, you gave me a moment of tears..
Your summary of how breathtaking the natural world truely is, makes me feel quite desolate.
I moved to the city because of finances 5 years ago and I long with fervour to feel, smell, touch and see the world especially in the wee dawn hours..not quite the same tramping the streets and gazing into gardens.. though even there, the wee birds and small mammals that survive give me an ache to my stomach, how awesome and strong they are to survive in the face of concrete and man's bureaucracy.

Posted Image

#45    SurgeTechnologies

SurgeTechnologies

Psychic Spy

• 1,371 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostMistydawn, on 13 April 2013 - 03:08 PM, said:

Tesla, you gave me a moment of tears..
Your summary of how breathtaking the natural world truely is, makes me feel quite desolate.
I moved to the city because of finances 5 years ago and I long with fervour to feel, smell, touch and see the world especially in the wee dawn hours..not quite the same tramping the streets and gazing into gardens.. though even there, the wee birds and small mammals that survive give me an ache to my stomach, how awesome and strong they are to survive in the face of concrete and man's bureaucracy.

The beauty of our planet seen through words :) . I agree with you i see same picture as i enter city where i work.. Still local animal life has adapted to harsh enviroment they must live in. Unfortunaly there is ever growing concrete jungle than natural one.. as we are spreading even more. People of now are so entangled in to their daily lives they dont see it anymore or respect it.. when you enter in to natural world everything is peacefull,chilled there and there are no noises,cars,bright street lights,sirens, and so on..

Nature truly is beautiful...if felt and seen properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users