Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Satanic Temple to Hand Children Activity Book

kreleroll129

We have freedom of speech. If parents live their faith, and not just one day a week thing, they should have nothing to fear. The reaction if violently against will only had gas to the fire and give them a wider voice.

Peace

Mark

• Like 5

Anybody got a link to see the actual hand out. I want one, something to do while waiting in the doctor's office. hehehe

• Like 6

Freedom of religion isn't just for the right religion, it is for all religions. Those who don't like that need to move to a nice theocracy like Iran. I think handing out any religious material in public schools inappropriate and that includes Bibles. Christians need to understand, that if they don't want their kids getting hand outs for other religions they need to stop handing out theirs to other people's children.

I wasn't aware there was any of that going on these days. But I agree, if it's being done during school hours on campus it should stop.
  • Like 4

I wasn't aware there was any of that going on these days. But I agree, if it's being done during school hours on campus it should stop.

You have to have your head in the sand not to see it going on. Mostly in the Bible belt.

http://www.cbn.com/c...Activity-Books/

I'm a Muslim and I don't know how to feel about this. In other words, I'm totally against this. I'm just interested in your opinions. I would like to see as many opinions as possible.

We have freedom of speech. If parents live their faith, and not just one day a week thing, they should have nothing to fear. The reaction if violently against will only had gas to the fire and give them a wider voice.

Peace

Mark

First off, I can't wait for the experiment that is the state of Florida to be completed and the results published.

Second, y'all, this is just like the statue of Satan in Oklahoma. For one, it's publicity, but more over, think how awesome this is gonna be! They chose the worst possible battle grounds for this sort of thing. They're a bunch of Godless New Yorkers coming down into Sarah Palin's "Real America." I say let them come and then we can watch the country's first annual Hot Topic Hunger Games begin. Ever see The Warriors? Imagine that on the level of the entire South. Not to mention that there are bound to be rather creative expansions of Floridian Stand Your Ground laws in the resulting fall out.

And as to the freedoms of religion and speech, the Constitution protects those rights from the Government, not from the individual. Provoke a fight, inappropriately approach children, or create a public disturbance and then take your life in your own hands.

• Like 1

Well, if the school district is allowing handing out bibles, I have no problem with Satanic Temple handouts as well. Or any other religious material for that matter. I'd rather see no religious materials handed out at all in public schools, but if they allow one, they should allow them all.

• Like 6

Well, if the school district is allowing handing out bibles, I have no problem with Satanic Temple handouts as well. Or any other religious material for that matter. I'd rather see no religious materials handed out at all in public schools, but if they allow one, they should allow them all.

Only thing is they're not handing out religious texts, they're coloring books intentionally aimed at young children in an overwhelmingly Christian community.

Something like the Gideons handing out the little copies of the New Testament and Psalms is something different. They're there if you really want it, but the King James is still rather inaccessible to young children. Not that Korans would go over too much better, but at least it's something with the same level of gravitas and intent.

There's a big gap between handing out a Laveyan Satanic Bible to a kid and Anton La Vey's Howard Hears a Hell Hound.

• Like 1

http://www.cbn.com/c...Activity-Books/

I'm a Muslim and I don't know how to feel about this. In other words, I'm totally against this. I'm just interested in your opinions. I would like to see as many opinions as possible.

I am atheist. To me all religious teaching to children is wrong, however... I believe that MY belief should not hender your own. Your belief should not hender my own belief or lack of belief.

If one faith has a right to out things with their belief system on it, then so does another faith.

If you wish to stop or influence what another faith or lack of faith can do, then those same rules apply to you and your belief system.

• Like 9

Only thing is they're not handing out religious texts, they're coloring books intentionally aimed at young children in an overwhelmingly Christian community.

Something like the Gideons handing out the little copies of the New Testament and Psalms is something different. They're there if you really want it, but the King James is still rather inaccessible to young children. Not that Korans would go over too much better, but at least it's something with the same level of gravitas and intent.

There's a big gap between handing out a Laveyan Satanic Bible to a kid and Anton La Vey's Howard Hears a Hell Hound.

No matter how accessible or not it is- religious material is religious material. In serious text book or light activity book, still religious material. Either allow it all or allow none of it.

• Like 7

No matter how accessible or not it is- religious material is religious material. In serious text book or light activity book, still religious material. Either allow it all or allow none of it.

That's ludicrous, "religious material" is not a set quantity or substance that can be measured and listed in the Nutritional Facts on the label, in between sugar and sodium.

If you set a young child down in front of Elmo Goes to the Aquarium and Moby Dick, one will definitely be more accessible, targeted, and appealing. They're both books written in English, but one's definitely more mature than the other and has a drastically different opinion on whales.

• Like 4

You shouldn't hand our religious texts out in a secular public school. There is only one reason to hand Bibles out, to evangelize in the schools. If parents want their kids to be Christian, then they can get them a Bible from Church or send them to a private Christian school. Not everyone wants their children indoctrinated in a religion or a religion other than their own. That why the Satanist are doing what they are doing. I am sure I could find a coloring book of Pagan pictures to hand out.

• Like 6

I'd simply ignore them. If they somehow got their coloring book into my kids hands, I'd check it out to see what is in it, and recycle it if I didn't like it. No point in confronting them. It is basically what they want is to make a scene.

I tend to agree that pressing religion is not something that should be done in public schools.

• Like 4

That's ludicrous, "religious material" is not a set quantity or substance that can be measured and listed in the Nutritional Facts on the label, in between sugar and sodium.

If you set a young child down in front of Elmo Goes to the Aquarium and Moby Dick, one will definitely be more accessible, targeted, and appealing. They're both books written in English, but one's definitely more mature than the other and has a drastically different opinion on whales.

Lol, religious material is printed on paper, cellulose. Cellulose is an ingredient in some foods, and can be part of the dietary fiber listing. So on a standard nutrition label, it can be measured, and is listed between sugar and sodium- if the amount of cellulose is high enough to count as a measured ingredient instead of an additive.

I really wouldn't recommend anyone eat paper for their fiber though. It's actually quite the controversy that cellulose is being used in some food products.

Edited by rashore

Here is the thing..I am assuming that the majority really do not want ANY religious doctrine handed out to their kids or taught in the public school system and many would ignore most things.. however

the word satan tends to scare people. It is a christian deity, and it is an evil one... not everyone is threatened by the word though. SO *shrugs*

Not sure what OPINIONs the OP really is looking for or why. Perhaps of the OP would post again letting us know what he/she is looking for?

it is an opinion on religions being taught in school, doctrines being taught to kids regardless of location.. SATAN being taught as something OTHER then a bad thing?

What exactly is the OP looking for, opinion wise?

• Like 2

Lol, religious material is printed on paper, cellulose. Cellulose is an ingredient in some foods, and can be part of the dietary fiber listing. So on a standard nutrition label, it can be measured, and is listed between sugar and sodium- if the amount of cellulose is high enough to count as a measured ingredient instead of an additive.

I really wouldn't recommend anyone eat paper for their fiber though. It's actually quite the controversy that cellulose is being used in some food products.

Really?... Really?... Are we doing this now?

Aside from the fact that, no, cellulose has no nutrient content since we're not freaking cattle and lack the gut bugs and enzymes to crack it, you do realize that this line of logic applies to all printed information?

I know a lot of schools are cutting back and trying to go paperless, but to reduce all information to what it's printed on... And then what of the Torahs written on animal parchment? SInce we can extract minute amounts of nutrients from a Torah scroll, does that mean it's somehow infinitely better than anything else out there?

Why would you even break down into tangential free associations when I intentionally left you mile-wide openings in my argument?

• Like 3

Really?... Really?... Are we doing this now?

Aside from the fact that, no, cellulose has no nutrient content since we're not freaking cattle and lack the gut bugs and enzymes to crack it, you do realize that this line of logic applies to all printed information?

I know a lot of schools are cutting back and trying to go paperless, but to reduce all information to what it's printed on... And then what of the Torahs written on animal parchment? SInce we can extract minute amounts of nutrients from a Torah scroll, does that mean it's somehow infinitely better than anything else out there?

Why would you even break down into tangential free associations when I intentionally left you mile-wide openings in my argument?

Well... since you brought up nutrition labels, I thought you might not have known about cellulose and what the FDA allows with it in food products, or you knew full well about cellulose in foods and was making a joke about it- especially since you said between sugar and sodium, where dietary fiber falls on the nutrition label. Otherwise, I have no idea why you would have brought the subject up in the first place since nutrition labels have nothing to do with the topic.

Although since you mention Torah- I think it would be fine if the school district allowed it to be handed out since they are allowing bibles to be handed out. Not for eating of course. Because as I stated earlier- religious materials are religious materials, no matter how gravid or light they are- if you allow one, allow them all- or allow none.

• Like 3

Well... since you brought up nutrition labels, I thought you might not have known about cellulose and what the FDA allows with it in food products, or you knew full well about cellulose in foods and was making a joke about it- especially since you said between sugar and sodium, where dietary fiber falls on the nutrition label. Otherwise, I have no idea why you would have brought the subject up in the first place since nutrition labels have nothing to do with the topic.

Although since you mention Torah- I think it would be fine if the school district allowed it to be handed out since they are allowing bibles to be handed out. Not for eating of course. Because as I stated earlier- religious materials are religious materials, no matter how gravid or light they are- if you allow one, allow them all- or allow none.

I made an analogy comparing the easy of accessibility of respective religious media and that your lump term of religious material is not only inaccurate but also uninformed and perpetuating voluntary ignorance regarding a nuanced subject that affects every aspect of a culture.

But now Torahs? You don't hand those out. They're handmade and written in a language that's script hasn't been used in 2500 years... Versus a coloring book... One clearly takes a degree of skill and competency not commonly found in grade schoolers.

• Like 2

So the complaint here is that the Satanists are NOT handing out actual Satanic literature, but a coloring book instead? Am I understanding this argument correctly? If you were present at the time, you would have told the Satanists, "I sure wish you would just hand out Satanic pamphlets instead"?

And yes, the Baphomet statue or whatever it is here in Oklahoma makes me chuckle every time I think of it and am curious to see how that turns out.

Also, thanks for the coloring book PDF link! That is HILARIOUS and clearly a joke at the expense of religion-pushers. I also agree I'd prefer NO religious material be "handed out" in schools, but if for some stupid reason the schools allow it, they'd better allow it for everything, including atheist literature (or coloring books, heh).