Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

10 weirdest parts of the ‘fiscal cliff’ bill

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16    MstrMsn

MstrMsn

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,019 posts

• "If you don't like the answer, you shouldn't have asked the question!"

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:37 AM

Good thing I drink Vodka and not Rum.

But seriously, NASCAR and Hollywood? Can someone please explain to me why our tax dollars should go to either? If a movie can't be funded, it most likely shouldn't be made, because it will most likely suck. And I have no idea what people get out of watching cars drive very fast in an oval....

We are born with 2 fears: Falling, and loud noises, all others are LEARNED.
You say fear is all in the mind. I say you are right; for it is our imagination that makes things seem scary.
If you want to learn how to not be afraid, ask.

#17    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,713 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostMstrMsn, on 04 January 2013 - 08:37 AM, said:

Good thing I drink Vodka and not Rum.

But seriously, NASCAR and Hollywood? Can someone please explain to me why our tax dollars should go to either? If a movie can't be funded, it most likely shouldn't be made, because it will most likely suck. And I have no idea what people get out of watching cars drive very fast in an oval....

Couldn't agree more, our government has forgotten what fiscal responsibility is.

#18    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,621 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

The important thing for them to do right now is to look like they are doing something, without actualy doing anything at all. This will keep the majority quite, while still being able to intentionaly destroy the economy.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#19    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,713 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

The Nascar thing is just ridiculously blatant. If the uninformed don't begin to ask what is up, we've reached the point of no return. The Nascar thing was on MSN's homepage, a large portion of the population had to at least see that.

#20    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

This country is going to continue to go downhill until someone steps in and forces a sanity check.
No more subsidies!  All companied need to stand on their own two feet or fold.  period!
No more federal grants to corporations and schools.  Tuition is high enough, let the schools cut the Deans paycheck a bit and fund their own studies.
No more sending taxpayer money back to reps home states. - The Pork spending must stop!
No more Lobbyists! - Our officials should not "Owe" any special interest group anything.
Flat tax across the board - No more 47% of Americans paying ZERO taxes and a large number of them actually get money back at the end of the year that they didnt even pay in. (EIC)
EVERYONE needs to contribute, If youre only making 10 grand a year and unhappy about it, get an education and get a better job.
I have no problem paying a bit more in taxes if the Government can show me in the budget where its cash strapped and why it cant meet its obligations.
But WE HAVENT HAD A BUDGET IN FOUR FLIPPING YEARS!!!!!!
This administaration is a complete joke, we are currently spending countless hours trying to figure out how to ban guns and worrying about 30 round clips instead of trying to fix the nation.
Anyone look at the Sandy Relief Bill?   Congress wrote in so much pork its sickening and the American Public cant figure out why a person would vote no on the bill.
It has Tsunami clean up money for the West Coast for crying out loud.  - Is there any bill in Congress capable of passing on its own merits?
Everyone looks at the GOP in Congress and cries that they are "Obstructionists";  They vote the way they do to try to save the country from going deeper in debt!

None of this truly surprises me, and nothing i listed above will be fixed by this group except the ban on weapons and why should they care?
53% of Amerika just voted to keep the same nanny state officials in place for four more years.  - You reap what you sow.

I sleep well at night knowing i didnt vote for the Spender in Chief.   - Enjoy paying for your "Freebies"

#21    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 04 January 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

The Nascar thing is just ridiculously blatant. If the uninformed don't begin to ask what is up, we've reached the point of no return. The Nascar thing was on MSN's homepage, a large portion of the population had to at least see that.
Spot on.
But all you will hear is how its such a small insignificant amount.  No one will ever stop and realize how many other ridiculous subsidies are out there and that they add up.
I love Nascar, i also believe they need to pay their own way or find a way to cut cost.  The taxpayer should not be funding any corporation at all period.

#22    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostWoIverine, on 04 January 2013 - 02:06 PM, said:

Couldn't agree more, our government has forgotten what fiscal responsibility is.

When Obama was first elected my first thought was that the economy would at least get better because the Dems have historically been good at closing the gaps.
I had no idea what was to come.

#23    Capt Amerika

Capt Amerika

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

Look at how much it costs each year for the Govt to pretend that Indian reservations are sovereign nations. - Maybe after 200 years its time to just all be Americans.
Look at all the energy credits and tax breaks for "Alternative" energy. - Maybe the government should just let them produce what they can without the subsidies - Something seriously wrong with subsidizing wind energy for the past 25 years and today it only accounts for approx 3% of our energy.
We waste money at every turn just to send money back to corporations that paid for a persons campaign.
Imagine how awesome it would be to have a politician actually stand up and represent the people.  (I know, i have a good imagination)

#24    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,955 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:01 AM

View PostWoIverine, on 03 January 2013 - 07:29 PM, said:

What did I do with the extra money over the past year? Well, generally one needs to pay bills to survive, unless you're permanently on the government's dole.

I guess the point that many are missing is that the payroll tax holiday was TEMPORARY in the first place. It lasted two years. And was to help stimulate the economy. Tax are not going up per se, they are going back to what they were before that law was passed. The sky is not falling.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#25    White Unicorn

White Unicorn

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

View Postninjadude, on 05 January 2013 - 03:01 AM, said:

I guess the point that many are missing is that the payroll tax holiday was TEMPORARY in the first place. It lasted two years. And was to help stimulate the economy. Tax are not going up per se, they are going back to what they were before that law was passed. The sky is not falling.

I agree with the temporary view. What most people don't seem to comprehend is the economic sky of stability fell decades ago and was masked by Greenspan with artificially created bubbles of wealth and politics that would eventually start to burst!  About the same thing happened when savings and loans failed in the late 70's and then the huge banks took their tactics and de regulation  to a much higher level manipulating securities, derivatives, designer loans, mortgages and backing most of it by government guarantees. It was a strategic plan more fine tuned. So  we the people pay it back in taxes or lose in the "safe" investments.

#26    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,621 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Well said WU. And we are seeing the fruit of this pyramid scheme as we speak. Most economists (the real economists who actualy saw all this coming) are saying it may be as early as this spring before the whole thing falls apart.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#27    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,955 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:48 AM

The interesting thing is that those economic "theorists" have been predicting that for YEARS now. Kind of like the end of the world nuts.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users