Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drone Farm Tractors

DieChecker

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2015/06/22/google-didnt-lead-the-self-driving-vehicle-revolution-john-deere-did/

Google has received tons of gushy press for its bubble-shaped self-driving car, though it's still years from the showroom floor. But for years John Deere has been selling tractors that practically drive themselves for use on farms in America's heartland, where there are few pesky pedestrians or federal rules to get in the way.

For a glimpse at the future, meet Jason Poole, a 34-year-old crop consultant from Kansas. After a long day of meetings earlier this month and driving five hours across the state to watch his little girl's softball game, he was still able to run his John Deere tractor until 2 a.m. thanks to technology that left most of the driving up to a computer.

The land is hilly on Poole's family farm, so he drives the first curved row manually to teach the layout to his tractor's guidance system and handles the turns himself. But after that, he takes his hands off the steering wheel and allows the tractor to finish.

"We kind of laugh when we see news stories about self-driving cars, because we've had that for years," Poole said.

And the advancements being rolled out on the farm could soon show up next door: Your neighbor can already replace his lawn mower with the John Deere equivalent of a Roomba robotic vacuum for his yard.

The self-driving technology being sold by John Deere and some of its competitors are less technically complex than the fully driverless cars that big tech companies and car manufacturers are working on. And for now, the tractors are still supposed to have a driver behind the wheel - even if they never touch it.

But they've already started to transform farming in America and abroad: John Deere is selling auto-steering and other self-guidance tech in more than 100 countries, said Cory Reed, vice president of the company's Intelligent Solutions Group.

"John Deere is the largest operator of autonomous vehicles," said Catherine J.K. Sandoval, a California public utilities commissioner at a recent event hosted by the Federal Trade Commission.

Very cool. :tu:

Now that I have 5 acres of hillside with about 3.5 of that being grass (well.... weeds anyway). Maybe I'll look into that Roomba-style lawn mower.

• Like 5

I'm jealous of your land, Die. 3.5 acres of open space would be awesome. Also, I had no idea that tractors had this technology!

• Like 1

Living 0n a farm, we have a lot of grass to cut, but I truly look forward to mowing our lawn, even though it normally takes two days to get the job done, I enjoy watching the local wildlife as I'm riding around, and especially the acrobatics of the little barn swallows that dive right in front of me trying to feed on the flying insects I stir up with the mower. Its quite magical.

mower_zpsoubhupmb.gif

Edited by KariW
  • Like 6

Living 0n a farm, we have a lot of grass to cut, but I truly look forward to mowing our lawn, even though it normally takes two days to get the job done, I enjoy watching the local wildlife as I'm riding around, and especially the acrobatics of the little barn swallows that dive right in front o me trying to feed on the flying insects I stir up with the mower. Its quite magical.

mower_zpsoubhupmb.gif

I want to own a hobby farm, but, alas, my thumbs are black and plants actually scream when I go near them....Home Depot won't even let me on the property anymore.

I have kept the evil cat indoors over the last few weeks due to the heat....and the lizard population has exploded. So that plus the cactus wrens are my little bit of nature. Sigh.

• Like 3

http://www.washingto...john-deere-did/

Very cool. :tu:

Now that I have 5 acres of hillside with about 3.5 of that being grass (well.... weeds anyway). Maybe I'll look into that Roomba-style lawn mower.

Nah. Your refusing yourself one of life's pleasures :D

I am only on an acre, but it's too much to hand mow, takes about 9 hours. I can do it in about 2-3 on the ride on. What you need is a ride on with a stubby holder. Much better than a Roomba tractor. Iphone with earphones and music going, beer at the elbow, what heaven must be like, just heaven would have boobs in there someplace.

Get a ride on lawnmower, just don't order it from New Zealand, or you will get one of these.

Romney_634_475_90.jpg

• Like 3

Living 0n a farm, we have a lot of grass to cut, but I truly look forward to mowing our lawn, even though it normally takes two days to get the job done, I enjoy watching the local wildlife as I'm riding around, and especially the acrobatics of the little barn swallows that dive right in front of me trying to feed on the flying insects I stir up with the mower. Its quite magical.

mower_zpsoubhupmb.gif

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are female - AND you mow lawns???????

Are you married??? :wub:

• Like 2

Bubblykiss, yes the lizards, I bet you have little blue bellies running all over the place!

LoungeLizard_zpsztxlpatv.gif

Awe man, now I got Breezy all excited because I said the L word! LOL!

Edited by KariW
  • Like 2

WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are female - AND you mow lawns???????

Are you married??? :wub:

My husband and I often trade off when our behinds get a little sore from riding around for a couple of hours. LOL!

This is him on our Huskee, listening to his music as he tries to make a dent in the dandelion population!

dm2_zpss6vanyte.jpg

• Like 3

My husband and I often trade off when our behinds get a little sore from riding around for a couple of hours. LOL!

This is him on our Huskee, listening to his music as he tries to make a dent in the dandelion population!

dm2_zpss6vanyte.jpg

Damn, so that's a yes then I take it.

My mowing days are long from over. I have one of these in a 42" cut with double cutter:

033103A-Yman-23-50-LT-1024x1024.jpg

• Like 3

quick serious question: the article mentions issues with hacking, but what about other dangers? do these come with the sort of sensors where they'll stop if an animal or person crosses the path it's taking?

• Like 2

quick serious question: the article mentions issues with hacking, but what about other dangers? do these come with the sort of sensors where they'll stop if an animal or person crosses the path it's taking?

If fully automated yes they do. It is very simple technology easily implemented.

Very cool toy coming out called the Lilly Drone. You just throw it in the air and it follows you while you ski, run or bike, whatever. That was the exact problem the generation one drones had, the next lot are to be fitted with sensors so that if you go under a tree branch, the drone does not smash into it behind you.

Now may I get back to silly questions please. :D

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

oh, i suppose.

my silly question is, if i still mow lawns with a non-electric push mower, am i a crazy person?

• Like 3

oh, i suppose.

my silly question is, if i still mow lawns with a non-electric push mower, am i a crazy person?

If you live on an acre or more then yes, definitely yes.

You mow lawns too??? :wub:

I suppose you're married too? <_<

Still have to do the edges by hand. It's a good workout though, there is always a smile on my face when I do edges, it's like my happy place :D See :D

88d835df34fb07d55437a8bd939e0359.jpg

• Like 2

Nah. Your refusing yourself one of life's pleasures :D

I am only on an acre, but it's too much to hand mow, takes about 9 hours. I can do it in about 2-3 on the ride on. What you need is a ride on with a stubby holder. Much better than a Roomba tractor. Iphone with earphones and music going, beer at the elbow, what heaven must be like, just heaven would have boobs in there someplace.

Get a ride on lawnmower, just don't order it from New Zealand, or you will get one of these.

Romney_634_475_90.jpg

I think actually my family is planning on getting some of these....

nubian8.jpg

I'm cleaning out the horse barn for some reason.... :unsure2: :unsure2:

• Like 3

that technology has been around for a little while, you can steer any modern tractor or combine or suchlike with GPS if you need to keep very precisely in a straight line (and you've got a bit enough field).

• Like 1

If you live on an acre or more then yes, definitely yes.

You mow lawns too??? :wub:

I suppose you're married too? <_<

no, thank goodness, and i intend to keep it that way!

plus, having to mow lawns with a push mower has made me hate the whole practice. forgot to wear gloves once, and the handles scoured several layers of skin off of the inside of my thumbs. i'm all for robot mowers. bring em on, i say.

• Like 1

I think actually my family is planning on getting some of these....

nubian8.jpg

I'm cleaning out the horse barn for some reason.... :unsure2: :unsure2:

Don't worry, your secret is safe with me. ;)

You do understand why the Kiwi's call them "Ride on" Lawnmowers? :unsure:

An Australian ventriloquist visiting New Zealand walks into a small village and sees a local sitting on his porch patting his dog.

He figures he'll have a little fun, so he says to the Kiwi:

"G'day, mind if I talk to your dog?"

Villager: "The dog doesn't talk, you stupid Aussie."

Ventriloquist: "Hello dog, how's it going mate?"

Dog: "Yeah, doin' all right."

Kiwi: (look of extreme shock)

Ventriloquist: "Is this villager your owner?" (pointing at the villager)

Dog: "Yep"

Ventriloquist: "How does he treat you?"

Dog: "Yeah, real good. He walks me twice a day, feeds me great food

and takes me to the lake once a week to play."

Kiwi: (look of utter disbelief)

Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your horse?"

Kiwi: "Uh, the horse doesn't talk either....I think."

Ventriloquist: "Hey horse, how's it going?"

Horse: "Cool"

Kiwi: (absolutely dumbfounded)

Ventriloquist: "Is this your owner?" (Pointing at the villager)

Horse: "Yep"

Ventriloquist: How does he treat you?

Horse: "Pretty good, thanks for asking. He rides me regularly, brushes me down often and

keeps me in the barn to protect me from the elements."

Kiwi: (total look of amazement)

Ventriloquist: "Mind if I talk to your sheep?"

Kiwi: (in a panic) " Don't believe a word he says, that sheep's a bloody liar.."

I don't mind Goat's I tried Goat once at a BBQ, someone's engagement and I was playing in the band. Wasn't too bad, tasted rather like lamb or mutton.

For our international readers...

Of course I am not serious, Aussies and Kiwis have "an understanding" and we poke each other in the ribs all the time.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 3

Excellent question! Wish I had something like that on our mower especially on the first cut of the spring! The grass is always so tall, and I usually let our dogs run around because they alert us to little baby rabbit nests or sleeping fawns..

• Like 1

Damn, so that's a yes then I take it.

My mowing days are long from over. I have one of these in a 42" cut with double cutter:

033103A-Yman-23-50-LT-1024x1024.jpg

Very nice! :tu: Have seen those at Walmart and was looking at them. My husband found an old used John Deer at a garage saie, and removed the deck since it needed some work done on it. It runs real good and I use it primarily for towing around my garden cart and for feeding our livestock.

• Like 1

I remember that.

Edited by ZZ430

My neighbor crashed his into my fence once when he fell asleep. Now he uses an auto steer and a couple of POV drones to do all his work.

• Like 1

I remember that.

That's good, Dear! I think we can rule out Alzheimer's now when you feed the dogs - cat food, and the cats - dog food!

Now that I'm totally awake! To get back on topic. I can see how the Autotrac System would be cost effective in preventing overlap, especially at night when its hard to see where to start your lines/rows again near the edge of the field. It could also help keep costs down by preventing the over application of chemical fertilizers, and pesticides during spraying!

Great thread, Diechecker! :tu: :tu:

• Like 2

Great thread, Diechecker! :tu: :tu:

Sorry for the hijack! :whistle: