Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Trainee teacher with tattoos sent home

Still Waters

A teaching assistant was sent away from her first day of her new job at a Catholic school because her arms and neck are covered in tattoos.

Mother-of-two Charlotte Tumilty had been offered the role at St John Vianney's Primary School in Hartlepool as part of her teacher training course.

But within an hour of turning up for her first day, she claims she was sent home because of her body art - and she insists she cannot cover up the tattoos in order to return to the school.

http://www.dailymail...ed-tattoos.html

• Like 1

GOOD!

Obey the damn "code of conduct" or sod off.

Now that I've vented that, how did she get hired covered in "body art" that is clearly against the school's (and dare I say it "the entire Catholic Education System's") dress code?

School dropped the ball by hiring her but ... it's there in black and white about how you present yourself for work.

• Like 7

Body "art" is a personal life choice that may make you feel good, but can be almost "threatening" to others depending on the depictions. I would expect most Religious controlled schools to be quite conservative in their attitude, it is their right to be selective when it comes to influential people (such as teachers, or trainees).

I just see this as a bit of whingeing of the part of the woman (who runs straight to a newspaper with story like this? - it won't enhance her career prospects), who could just as easily get another placement in a State school.

• Like 2

Just in our little welding shop we make sure any employee with tattoos can and do cover them up when conducting business on other people's property. Especially when you go to a person's multi-million dollar home it's unprofessional to have your employees covered in tats or wearing ratty clothing and it makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

I've got plenty of tattoos, I do research before going into a job to see what their protocol is in this area. Long sleeved shirt, I can cover up anything

and neck tattoos look trashy

they just do

• Like 4

I am not against tattoos, but when someone plasters the parts which they know are visible to others with tattoos, add that to the things in her lips, they know damn well some people will not take to it. They are not born with these things, its their decision to do it.

Some people have deformities they are born with and they can go through very tough times....this woman made her choice knowing it would attract attention, now she is attracting more by going to the papers, says it all really.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 3

We wouldn't hire anyone with piercings or tattoos all over their face. Of course, anyone with any sense knows it's not safe to wear any kind of jewelry in this business. :P

• Like 2

There are consequences for our choices. Always have been, always will be.

• Like 4

when i was a kid we went on a tour of the boeing airplane factor. where they told us no one was supposed to wear any jewelry when using the big press, including rings. but, i noticed several ladies wearing rings. when i confronted one of them about it, she said it was her wedding ring and wouldn't take iot off for any reason. i thought to myself, if i was her husband i would make her leave it at home, for her safety. i would rather her not wear it ti losing a finger, arm or worse.

• Like 1

when i was a kid we went on a tour of the boeing airplane factor. where they told us no one was supposed to wear any jewelry when using the big press, including rings. but, i noticed several ladies wearing rings. when i confronted one of them about it, she said it was her wedding ring and wouldn't take iot off for any reason. i thought to myself, if i was her husband i would make her leave it at home, for her safety. i would rather her not wear it ti losing a finger, arm or worse.

Thinking you could "make" a woman do anything would only be the first mistake you made. ;)

• Like 1

After seeing her picture I don't blame them. She has more than a couple of little tattoos.

What one person sees as art another person may see as trash. Be careful of the permanent things you do to your body.

• Like 3

GOOD!

Obey the damn "code of conduct" or sod off.

Now that I've vented that, how did she get hired covered in "body art" that is clearly against the school's (and dare I say it "the entire Catholic Education System's") dress code?

School dropped the ball by hiring her but ... it's there in black and white about how you present yourself for work.

I was wondering why they hired her to begin with also. They could clearly see them. I think this was unfair to her. Seems some at the school didn't know the rules.
  • Like 1

Seeing her, she could cover that w/ some foundation and the right hair style.

Foundation will barely cover a bruise or a hickey...much less that.

Foundation will barely cover a bruise or a hickey...much less that.

I questioned saying foundation after I psoted it.

I cant think of the right name of the stuff, but girlfriends of mine have used some kind of makeup to cover tattoos.

quick google, apparently some concealers can do this

I know nothing about makeup.

I questioned saying foundation after I psoted it.

I cant think of the right name of the stuff, but girlfriends of mine have used some kind of makeup to cover tattoos.

quick google, apparently some concealers can do this

I know nothing about makeup.

If any of your girlfriends know of anything to cover something like a tattoo, for more than an hour, I'd love to hear it. Honestly, it doesn't work and rubs off on your clothing something awful. Take this from a fair skinned Irish girl, that has tried everything in about 40 years, to look like I have a tan. If I can't cover my white skin they ain't gonna cover up a tattoo. :w00t:

Thinking you could "make" a woman do anything would only be the first mistake you made. ;)

He's a Mormon after all.

He's a Mormon after all.

That did cross my mind when I said it, but I've known a few Mormon women who were anything but submissive.

:w00t: What exactly does he teach your boy!?!?!? Edited by Michelle

:w00t: What exactly does he teach your boy!?!?!?

Dressmaking and ballet.

Seriously, in New Zealand full face tattoos like that are not that uncommon.

What he actually teaches my boy is what that fella in the picture is doing.

• Like 2

Dressmaking and ballet.

Seriously, in New Zealand full face tattoos like that are not that uncommon.

What he actually teaches my boy is what that fella in the picture is doing.

Different society, different customs. The Maori face tattoos have a cultural significance. This woman's tattoos obviously do not.

• Like 2

If any of your girlfriends know of anything to cover something like a tattoo, for more than an hour, I'd love to hear it. Honestly, it doesn't work and rubs off on your clothing something awful. Take this from a fair skinned Irish girl, that has tried everything in about 40 years, to look like I have a tan. If I can't cover my white skin they ain't gonna cover up a tattoo. :w00t:

I also might've just not paid enough attention.

they are exes for a reason after all.

That did cross my mind when I said it, but I've known a few Mormon women who were anything but submissive.

so your telling me you wouldn't even try.

Different society, different customs. The Maori face tattoos have a cultural significance. This woman's tattoos obviously do not.

I don't know what her tattoos signify. Maybe nothing. Maybe not.

Tattoos are so common you could argue they have become part of the contemporary culture in Britain.

Edited by Arbenol