Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

West urged to write-off Haiti's $1bn debt

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,473 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 25 January 2010 - 10:24 PM

www.telegraph.co.uk said:

Western governments have been urged to write off Haiti's international debts of nearly $1 billion (620 million) after its prime minister said rebuilding the country could take a decade.

Jean-Max Bellerive told an emergency meeting of ministers in Montreal, including US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, that the "colossal" effort would take "at least five to 10 years".

He said: "The people of Haiti will need more and more and more in order to complete the reconstruction. What we're looking for is a long-term commitment. Haiti needs the massive support of its partners in the international community in the medium and long term.

Responding to criticism that the Haitian government had been almost invisible during relief efforts he said it was working in "precarious conditions".

"We are fully conscious that the prime responsibility for our future lies in the hands of the Haitian government and the Haitian people."

Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper said: "It was not an exaggeration to say that at least 10 years of hard work awaits the world in Haiti."

Posted Image Read more...

Posted Image

#2    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:37 AM

I thought everyone already wrote off Africa's debts with the concert for Africa a while ago. The one with MJ, Bono, Diana Ross, etc.?

#3    Cadetak

Cadetak

Defender of the Universe

• 6,371 posts

• Sometimes It's Darkest Just Before Dawn

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:55 AM

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 26 January 2010 - 12:37 AM, said:

I thought everyone already wrote off Africa's debts with the concert for Africa a while ago. The one with MJ, Bono, Diana Ross, etc.?

Haiti isn't in Africa

Between Red Team and Blue Team I stand colorblind

Posted Image

"The opposite of the religious fanatic is not the fanatical atheist but the gentle cynic who cares not whether there is a god or not."-Eric Hoffer

#4    The Silver Thong

The Silver Thong

Forum Divinity

• 30,138 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:59 AM

I think the point being is that they could never pay it off in the begining. Have to use the old saying, can't get blood from a stone.

Sittin back drinkin beer watchin the world take it's course.

The only thing god can't do is prove he exists ?

#5    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:04 PM

View PostCadetak, on 26 January 2010 - 05:55 AM, said:

Haiti isn't in Africa

OMG I just searched for it and you're right! Well that's embarrassing. Not sure where I got that idea from.  :blush:

#6    questionmark

questionmark

Cinicus Magnus

• 35,102 posts

• In a flat world there is an explanation to everything.

Posted 26 January 2010 - 02:53 PM

Cheap shot. The chances of ever seeing tat money again are so minimal that it does not need to be written off.

View Postconspiracybeliever, on 26 January 2010 - 02:04 PM, said:

OMG I just searched for it and you're right! Well that's embarrassing. Not sure where I got that idea from.  :blush:

Dos it start with P?

A skeptic is a well informed believer and a pessimist a well informed optimist
The most dangerous views of the world are from those who have never seen it. ~ Alexander v. Humboldt
If you want to bulls**t me please do it so that it takes me more than a minute to find out

about me

#7    stevewinn

stevewinn

Government Agent

• 8,345 posts

• Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:35 PM

Haiti is a right mess, and if it wasn't for the loss of life some would say the earthquake actually improved the place.

like has been said any money given to the country is never going to be paid back.

here's a very nice offer.
http://news.bbc.co.u...ica/8463921.stm

Edited by stevewinn, 26 January 2010 - 04:36 PM.

Posted Image

British by Birth - English by the Grace of God

#8    conspiracybeliever

conspiracybeliever

Telekinetic

• Banned
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:50 PM

View Postquestionmark, on 26 January 2010 - 02:53 PM, said:

Cheap shot. The chances of ever seeing tat money again are so minimal that it does not need to be written off.

Dos it start with P?

P?

#9    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

View Poststevewinn, on 26 January 2010 - 04:35 PM, said:

Haiti is a right mess, and if it wasn't for the loss of life some would say the earthquake actually improved the place.

like has been said any money given to the country is never going to be paid back.

here's a very nice offer.
http://news.bbc.co.u...ica/8463921.stm

wow. now that's something you don't see every day. what a kind gesture, truly.

and who's military will be there if the people of haiti decide to take them up on the offer?

good luck to whoever runs next against obama after he's aquired a 52nd state!  :lol: quite an achievement that would be.

Edited by expandmymind, 26 January 2010 - 04:58 PM.

#10    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:02 PM

View PostNot the 1, on 26 January 2010 - 05:59 AM, said:

I think the point being is that they could never pay it off in the begining. Have to use the old saying, can't get blood from a stone.
That's true! But, as the Sargent at the jail I used to work at used to say: "You can't get blood from a stone but, you CAN own the stone!". Smart guy on some things.

On a different note, I heard a rumor the other day that the French were saying that the troops the U.S. sent to Haiti for the relief effort were the vanguard of an occupation of the place. Has anyone else heard this one? I mean firstly, why would we even want that place> It's the poorest nation in the western hemisphere. No resources, no industry, nothing. Not to put the people that live there down or anything but, in all honesty, they'd be nothing more than a drag on an already flagging U.S. economy.

Edited by Lord Umbarger, 26 January 2010 - 08:07 PM.

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#11    Lord Umbarger

Lord Umbarger

Majestic 12 Operative

• 5,553 posts

• The propeller isn't there to move the plane through the air. It's there to keep the pilot cool. See how much he sweats when it stops running? (!)

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:10 PM

View Postexpandmymind, on 26 January 2010 - 04:57 PM, said:

good luck to whoever runs next against obama after he's aquired a 52nd state!  :lol: quite an achievement that would be.
"Fifty-SECOND state? When did we get a fifty FIRST one? See what I get for missing U.M. staff meetings!?! I go screw around for a few months and Scotland petitions Congress for statehood! I can't leave this forum for a minute, can I? LOL!

To most people the sky is the limit, to those who fly, the sky is home.
If you don't have brains, you'd better have money!
The FAAs new motto,  "WE'RE not happy until YOU'RE not happy!"
http://www.facebook.com/ThePIRGpage

#12    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,984 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 12:55 AM

how come no one demands that other nations write off the usa's debt when we have a major natural disaster.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#13    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,964 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:42 AM

View Postdanielost, on 27 January 2010 - 12:55 AM, said:

how come no one demands that other nations write off the usa's debt when we have a major natural disaster.

I'm trying really hard to resist saying something REALLY snarky. I'll just point out you live in the richest country on earth.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#14    danielost

danielost

Forum Divinity

• 28,984 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:44 AM

View Postninjadude, on 27 January 2010 - 01:42 AM, said:

I'm trying really hard to resist saying something REALLY snarky. I'll just point out you live in the richest country on earth.

i live in the country with the biggest debt.

I am a mormon.  If I don't use mormons believe, those my beliefs only.
I do not go to church haven't for thirty years.
There are other mormons on this site. So if I have misspoken about the beliefs. I welcome their input.
I am not perfect and never will be. I do strive to be true to myself. I do my best to stay true to the mormon faith. Thank for careing and if you don't peace be with you.

#15    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,964 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:24 AM

View Postdanielost, on 27 January 2010 - 01:44 AM, said:

i live in the country with the biggest debt.

are you just being dense? when you have nothing any debt is greater than our debt because we have much.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users