Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who Prays for Satan?

StarMountainKid

But who prays for Satan? Who, in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most?

-Mark Twain

I don't know if this subject has come up before here, but what do you think, and what is the official Christian position on this?

I'm not a Christian, but I would think a short entry at the end of every prayer should be a plea for Satan's redemption. If God listens to prayers, it may do some good.

• Like 1

From what I understand, Satan doesn't want forgiveness even though he knows he will lose.

God does not listen when it involves prayers to be saved from tyrants...if god made man, then he should look at redeeming at what he made first.

• Like 1

From what I understand, Satan doesn't want forgiveness even though he knows he will lose.

I just thought if we all petition God, God being all powerful, he may have a change of heart and give Satan a good talking to. If Satan doesn't want forgiveness, as you say, it would be interesting to listen in on this conversation.

• Like 2

God does not listen when it involves prayers to be saved from tyrants...if god made man, then he should look at redeeming at what he made first.

Praying to a tyrant probably isn't going to save you from one.
  • Like 2

I just thought if we all petition God, God being all powerful, he may have a change of heart and give Satan a good talking to. If Satan doesn't want forgiveness, as you say, it would be interesting to listen in on this conversation.

God changing his mind is a funny thing, apparently God doesn't do it at all.. except in the rare cases he does.

Or I should say Christian apologists are a funny lot.

Edited by Rlyeh

I pray, if that is the right word, for all sentient life. So, whilst I don't believe in Satan, if this includes him he is in!!

I don't know if this subject has come up before here, but what do you think, and what is the official Christian position on this?

I'm not a Christian, but I would think a short entry at the end of every prayer should be a plea for Satan's redemption. If God listens to prayers, it may do some good.

First, let me point out that not all Christians, perhaps not all Christian 'traditions', necessarily cast Satan as "The Devil". So, in those people's minds Satan may not require 'salvation'.

However, with respect the Catholic, Southern Baptist, etc traditions Satan is portrayed as inimical to Humanity and an 'enemy' of God. The reason for this is that all those traditions also incorporate a theme of "crime and punishment", with the punishment for the crime (sin) being incarceration in a place of torment. But what is torment without a tormentor?

The beneficient God obviously cannot play that role, so it is put on poor Old Scratch to take up that position. Obviously, this position is 'eternal' - or at least until the Rapture - so any prayer for 'forgiveness' to presumably redeem the Tormentor and allow him freedom from his role before then would be pointless.

• Like 1

God pulls Satan's Strings.

TheSatanicWitch.jpg

219964_1239583310279_full.jpg

• Like 1

God pulls Satan's Strings.

Yes, that's my take on the subject. God created Satan to test man's faith, and as Leonardo said, it is pointless to pray for his salvation.

That is Satan's job, and God is satisfied with his work, presumably. Perhaps at the end of things, Satan will return to God's side, and God will pat him on the back. "Well done," God may say. "Now your work is over, and you can retire happily here with me."

• Like 2

It may do some good for Satan, unless another name for him is the Son of Perdition - who the Bible makes clear is absolutely doomed.

John 17:12

Edited by AZDZ

Edited by Mystic Crusader
  • Like 1

Isn't the Christian god supposed to be "perfect", though? Wouldn't it listening to humans and talking to satan be it admitting that it was wrong, or that we know better? It seems pretty antithetical to the belief system.

Edited by Mystic Crusader

This is one of those things that makes sense on a superficial level, but most answers fall apart when you actually delve into the processes behind them. For one, Satan comes from ancient Semitic sources, but we're speaking of him in a Christian context. That means that there will inevitably be paradoxes that appear to be contradictions at glance. So bear with me.

First, Satan, in the Christian context, and all of his ilk are angels, albeit fallen ones. This means that there will be aspects of his behavior that, try as he might, he can't escape and are dyed in the wool. If you take a look at other named angels in Judeo-Christian mythology, all of them mean something significant. That "-iel" fragment on the end of their names defines their relationship to God or the role they play in God's will, translatable as either "God is my <blank>" or "the <blank> of God" and in some cases "God <blank>s".

Gabriel for example can mean "God is my strength" or "the strength/strong one/hero of God"; Raphael means "God heals" or "the healer of God"; Uriel, "God is my lamp" or "the lamp of God" and so on.

So while Satan is the "Adversary," it means that a major piece of his identity is contingent on his relationship with another individual. And ironically enough, this can't be God, because for God to have an actual adversary, it would require another being to be on an even remotely level playing field. Satan is Satan. He's damn good at his job and might be the strongest angel ever made, but he's not the Anti-God, not even close.

Next, angels are hyper-polar beings. Humans have the free will to do what we want; their only Choice-with-a-capital-C ever was between standing with the Throne or rebelling and betraying their Father and brethren. That's part of the reason Satan doesn't seek forgiveness. He can no more make the choice to change than we could breath underwater--such is not the nature of his species.

Next, Satan is evil, but he's not Evil. That is, he is an evil individual and the greatest purveyor of Evil, but he's not the absolute source of all Evil in the same way God is the source of all Good, see "not the Anti-God," above. There's plenty of speculative talk about the true source of Evil in creation, but as it stands, Evil exists within the parameters of God's plan, so even as a treasonous rebel, Satan is still an angel subject to and enacting God's will.

Now, if out of genuine mercy and loving kindness, someone prays that Satan, who was once the most glorious angel, might find some measure of redemption to the state that he was in a time before our world and only alive in the memory of the God and His angels, let them pray. Out of all creatures, the ones most capable of evoking God's mercy and changing His mind are the very humans Satan swore himself against. But understand that there are parts of God's plan that far surpass human understanding. And just as some prayers weren't meant to be answered in this life, there are some prayers that weren't meant to be answered in this eternity.

• Like 2

Isn't the Christian god supposed to be "perfect", though? Wouldn't it listening to humans and talking to satan be it admitting that it was wrong, or that we know better? It seems pretty antithetical to the belief system.

You never talked you parents into stopping for ice cream on the way home when you were growing up? Humans can sway God's opinion, but it's only within the limits of His will and His love for us (which is rather substantial, apparently). Yeah, stopping for ice cream may not always be what's best, but it's a long sight off from convincing your parents to kill a drifter or something terrible. We're not capable of convincing God to make the wrong decision, no more than you could convince your parents to do something morally wrong and against their will.

Besides, think of how tremendous a handicap never being able to change your mind would be. While you're at it, you might as well try to confine God to only be capable of creating during a business week six thousand years ago. Never being able to decide differently would be like playing chess, but only ever being able to make the one move of pushing your pawn forward.

No one thing is right for every situation, just like no one tool works for every job, and if anyone has more tools than a hammer in their toolbox, it'd be God.

• Like 3

I'm iffy on Christian theology- really have no idea what I'm reading or talking about when it comes to it, but if I were to view Satan or some entity similar to Satan as a personification of "evil" then yeah, I "pray" in my own little way.

Evil is an imposition even on those who are evil themselves, which is what makes it so crappy. Almost feel more for evil forces than those that are subjected to them, because waking up and realizing you were the bad guy all along (if such a thing were to happen) must be one of the worst experiences ever. But you know the best way to "turn" someone is to help them out. I know it's very very silly to bring up, but it reminds me of the Blood War in *ahem* D&D cosmology. Demons and devils fighting each other endlessly so -their- version of evil can dominate. Recruiting anyone they can find and luring mortals to the planes in the afterlife to use as cannon fodder. Literally pointless, while the angels and archons (which also have "their" version of good) just accept one another. Real life mirrors this. To hate evil is to do exactly what evil would do in that situation so it's nonsensical.

It's easy to love things that are loveable. The real test is whether or not you can love things that conventionally aren't.

• Like 2

working last to first,

The god of the bible is all about not doing things the way we'd expect a divinity to do things. That is one of the proofs in its favor imo. All other religions do behave in ways we'd expect thus proving they are man made.

The bible has a couple segments wherein the lord and satan are talking together.

I've read of three times it self depreciates or claims an error or mistakes was made by some part of the most high.

GEN 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

1 COR 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

HEB 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

Edited by AZDZ

working last to first,

The god of the bible is all about not doing things the way we'd expect a divinity to do things. That is one of the proofs in its favor imo. All other religions do behave in ways we'd expect thus proving they are man made.

The bible has a couple segments wherein the lord and satan are talking together.

I've read of three times it self depreciates or claims an error or mistakes was made by some part of the most high.

GEN 6:6 And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.

1 COR 1:25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.

HEB 8:7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.

I acknowledge that you used the "imo" tag, but I still would like to touch upon something you said. The bolded statement is a ballsy one. I wouldn't say there is any evidence for any god, regardless as to how said deity acts. How an entity is portrayed in a book is not in any way indicative of the entity's true nature, or whether or not the entity actually exists. Anyone could write a story about any given deity acting in any way, but that would not provide clues or evidence towards how the entity in question acts, or whether it exists. Why do you consider prose to be evidence of the existence of a deity?

Edited by Podo

Only an idiot fights losing wars. But this Satan is nothing but a convenient construct to justify Christian God.

Satan to the lawyer:

Thanks, now I can go kill more of those kids.

The gods of other religions act just as human and ignorant as the Biblical one.