Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fighting Asteroids

Waspie_Dwarf

Fighting Asteroids a New Task for Russia’s Space Industry

MOSCOW, October 20 (RIA Novosti) – Russia’s space agency has a new mission on its plate: fighting asteroids, the organization’s head said Sunday.

Oleg Ostapenko, chief of the Roscosmos federal space agency, said that meetings had been arranged with the Russian Academy of Sciences to discuss the project and later confer with scientists. “It’s an interesting topic,” he said

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• freetoroam

• Mr.United_Nations

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The announcement follows last week’s discovery of a 410-meter-wide (1,350 foot) asteroid that could hit Earth in 2032, which Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin called “a super-task for our space industry.”

Scientists’ initial estimates say the asteroid has a 1 in 63,000 chance of colliding with Earth on August 26, 2032, though they said astronomers will be able to better evaluate the impact risk in 2028.

http://en.ria.ru/science/20131020/184254948/Fighting-Asteroids-a-New-Task-for-Russias-Space-Industry.html

I did not think this could have been such a concern that they would now want to go to war in space?

Not according the the other thread anyway.

I did not think this could have been such a concern that they would now want to go to war in space?

What war? This is not about war. This is about protecting the planet from the threat of asteroids.

The one from the "other thread" is not the only one, there are thousands that could be a hazard.

Besides the "one from the other thread" has a very small but finite chance of killing tens of millions of people. You may not think that is worth being concerned over, others do.

What war? This is not about war. This is about protecting the planet from the threat of asteroids.

The one from the "other thread" is not the only one, there are thousands that could be a hazard.

Besides the "one from the other thread" has a very small but finite chance of killing tens of millions of people. You may not think that is worth being concerned over, others do.

I am concerned about the millions of people who die on Earth because of starvation, natural disasters and wars.

They do not give a damn about saving us, if they did they would try and sort out this planets problems first.

This stinks of trouble for the future, man has a history of enjoying blowing things up and trying to control whatever he can, and if the Russians can get out there and start "experimenting" on letting off god knows what kind of bombs (because they will be big) then who knows what this will eventually lead to?

Please enlighten us on the thousands which could endanger us which they KNOW of so far, because so far I have not seen any warnings of threats from an asteroid which can wipe us out. (but I could be wrong).

Sorry Waspie, but the thought of the Russians going out into space to "protect" us with weapons is not a reassurance.

I would like to know how many "experiments" they will be doing in space first, just to try out their fighting skills?

What reassurance do we get to guarantee that none of those experimental bombs will effect Earth somehow anyway?

They can not guarantee they can achieve it,(obviously) and they can not guarantee it will protect the Earth, but while millions get killed on Earth each year because of mans selfishness, the Russians will do their best to get out there and try anyway. Logic?

The problem is there is so much corruption when giving aid and not everyone wants to continue to give aid