Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Extradition

et's daddy

25 members have voted

1. 1. Extradition

• For
    • Against
    • Depends on the crime

If you commit a crime you shouldnt be able to hide anywhere

I know some countries wont extradite due to death penalty

that's crap

no country should try and supercede anothers laws

or help a criminal get away

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• et's daddy

• __Kratos__

• OldTimeRadio

• eagleeye

that's crap

sounds logical....

I'm trying to think of when it was "permissible" but nothing comes to mind. I know Roman Polanski has a liaison with this 13 year old, which was illegal. He fled to France, and couldn't be extradited to the US.

Unfortunately its all about politics, if police forces from different countries were allowed to communicate freely then extradition between countries would be free flowing.

I picked depends on the crime.

I do not think people want to be sent to nations under sharia for things they have said in print.

For . . .

There should be no place for a criminal to hide.

Really depends on the crime to me.

Say someone flees from China for promting democracy and free speech to the US. In my opinion the US should not give him back to China.

Now if someone kills someone in China and flees to the US, the US should give him up to China.

Really depends on the crime to me.

Say someone flees from China for promting democracy and free speech to the US. In my opinion the US should not give him back to China.

Now if someone kills someone in China and flees to the US, the US should give him up to China.

i agree with you 100%

and i never thought of it that way

i suppose it would be like handing over Salmon Rushdie

• 7 months later...

But what if Upper Boldavia charges YOU with a crime you didn't commit and under laws you never heard of?

What if the crime with which you are charged gets you five days (suspended) over here and 50 years at hard labor over there?

Should the country in which you live simply ship you over there, no questions asked?

• 1 year later...

Law and order only goes as far as your military can cover. I'm not surprised that most government's don't respect foreign law. There's no logical reason that they should.

I put depends on the crime. If you murder someone or are a pedophile, have done some extreme and violent crime, then there should never be a place to hide or get a free pass! But if you have only said something based on a personal oppinion or some small no no, and your facing years in an inhumane prison or the death penalty for that, then no way should you be sent back!

The problem with saying "depends on the crime" is that you'll never get every country to agree to the list of crimes for which extradition is allowed.

Mexico will not return anyone to the US if they are facing the death penalty. Period. The Marine who's suspected of killing the woman who was accusing him of rape and was 8 1/2 months pregnant with, presumably, his child is now thought to be in Mexico. If he made it across the border had has to be extradited to face the charges, the US will not be able to consider the death penalty for him.

No, I'm thinking more along the lines of creating extraction teams, licensed by the UN. You want to fetch someone from another country to face trial? Then, you submit a request to the US, and, based on the presented evidence, proof of an actual crime, and a REASONABLE penalty for the severity of that crime, they send Duane Chapman to go haul him wherever he needs to be to face trial.

I think if we say it depends on the crime, is wrong. Lets take the case of the 20 year old female Marine in NC who charged a superior with rape, and was pregnant due to the rape. The Marines didnt seem to protect her and she was about to testify in December when all the sudden she went missing. The rapist had said if he got into trouble he would flee to Mexico. Since then, her body has been found in a shallow grave, burned with her unborn baby in his back yard. Now they believe he is fleeing to Mexico. Mexico will not extradite for anything that is deemed a death penalty crime here in the US..So if he is indeed there, we have to promise not to make it a death penalty trial..I believe if you commit a crime beside silly ones, then the other country should send them back..Do the crime, do the time..JMO..JN

Unfortunately its all about politics, if police forces from different countries were allowed to communicate freely then extradition between countries would be free flowing.

I agree shaun.The introduction of interpol has made communication between different country's a lot easier,and criminal's easier again to trace and find.

Christopher Skase and his involvement with the qintex group is one of the worst cases i have seen.When he fled Australia and went to majorca,and the year's of the australian government trying in vein to extradite him was truly unbelievable.He died a very slow and painful death before anything could be done.I tried to link a article on him but it didn't work.I will try again ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Skase

Edited by savvygirl

that's crap

i seem to remember a certain country keeping a certain person in jail for a number of years, with out a trial or charge.. and they werent doing anything to fix the matter either, other than torture