Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Transhumanism: a kind of religion of science

transhumanism religion of science

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1    Karlis

Karlis

• 8,614 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:42 PM

“Post-persons” -- beings with a higher moral status than us (ie, homo sapiens) – is possible:
With genetic engineering, drugs, and other forms of cognitive enhancement, it is possible for us to create beings with intellects so advanced that to us they are literally unimaginable.

That would be a very bad idea. Why? Because, just as we humans use and sometimes destroy beings of lower moral status such as rocks and goats for our own benefit, post-persons could do the same to us. This might happen in “supreme emergencies”, when we would be reluctantly sacrificed for a greater good, or “supreme opportunities”, when we would be cheerfully sacrificed for a greater good.
Source
-=-=-

The world’s first openly transhumanist politician is serving in a national parliament.
Giuseppe Vatinno was elected in July for the Alleanza per l'Italia party in the Italian parliament.

New Scientist interviewed him about his philosophy. Vatinno explained that transhumanism “aims to free humanity from its biological limitations, overcoming natural evolution to make us more than human”.
Source
-=-=-

Transhumanism is 'a whole new can of worms', so to speak. What are your thoughts?

Please discuss,
Karlis

Edited by Karlis, 13 October 2012 - 03:47 PM.

#2    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,216 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:55 PM

Yes, that's the answer: genetic tinkering. Who gets to decide what constitutes higher morality? And who gets to become one of these people? Wouldn't this create a whole new class structure and power struggle? Sheesh, genetically modified corn is enough of an issue without adding genetically modified people.

#3    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,320 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:23 PM

Big mistake, they wouldn't have any use for us except for maybe menial labor.

#4    Beany

Beany

Poltergeist

• 3,216 posts

• If music is the most universal language just think of me as one whole note. Nikki Giovanni

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

View PostHilander, on 13 October 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Big mistake, they wouldn't have any use for us except for maybe menial labor.
They'd be in for a fight, because I don't do menial unless I want to. Wasn't this issue settled in Jurassic Park?

#5    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts
  • Location:Currently entering that inner landscape connecting those throughout life

• It seems so important now but you will get over.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:32 AM

h+ has been discussed here but never in terms of posthumanity vs humanity. I suppose it was a matter of time before the topic was introduced here.

Mr. Walker is a huge fan of transhumanism, although unsure if he users that term. Would be most interested in reading his thoughts on this aspect.

I also have never seen Gattaca but didn't it also touch on this topic or one near to it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users